Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Post by Tuly »

As in the good old days. Can we consider a summer reading club? - we would just report the titles of the books we read this summer. Summer can start from June 1st to August 31st. Any book can count, required school books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc. Anybody up to it?
Last edited by Tuly on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Summer Reading

Post by Ian »

i'll have a summer reading list. angela and i are having a friendly reading contest this year. we've been maintaining a list of everything we read, including the date that we finished each book. we just started this a few months ago, but i highly recommend it. i feel that this has motivated me to finish more books and it's nice to look back at the books i've read so far so i can maintain a balance between fiction, non-fiction, etc.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Lily

Post by Lily »

I like the idea, because also if someone reads I book I've been thinking about reading, maybe I can get a recommendation. Count me in (since I'm notorious for not finishing books). I'm not sure if I'll have any dictionaries on my list this year though...I may get bogged down. :wink:
Edward

Post by Edward »

:lecture: I officially put The Silmarillion on the list of anybody who hasn't read it yet. But if you haven't at least read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, those can take its place.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Angela

Post by Angela »

oooh, I'm reading The Silmarillion right now... ok not right now... but when I put Simon down for naps I read it. I find it pretty interesting. I really enjoyed The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, so this has been a nice read to get the background on those worlds. I plan on reading The Children of Hurin after I'm done with The Silmarillion.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Angela wrote:oooh, I'm reading The Silmarillion right now... ok not right now... but when I put Simon down for naps I read it. I find it pretty interesting. I really enjoyed The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, so this has been a nice read to get the background on those worlds. I plan on reading The Children of Hurin after I'm done with The Silmarillion.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So how are we doing with our summer reading? Remember just list the books you have read so far. That is the ones you started June 1st and finished. No review is necessary (not unless you want to). Textbooks count, required summer school reading.
Here is my list so far.
1. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey
2. Carry on Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
3. Daughters of God by M. Russell Ballard
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

so far i've read Crispin: At the Edge of the World by Avi and Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson. right now i'm reading The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Umm...I know this is totally un-kosher, but I'm going to post books I've finished since June 1st, since I'm a slowpoke reader and also am in the middle of a few books I started before then. Sorry if that bugs you.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockheart
Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Not at all, go for it!! :banana:
Lily

Post by Lily »

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
A View From Saturday, by E. L. Konigsburg
Last edited by Lily on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ok, I need some help! As you may have heard, Lily and I switched phone carriers and both have new phones that carry with them the perks of an unlimited data plan. One of my first realizations was that I can now use Dailylit.com's services while at work. I'll be receiving daily installments from the classic novel of my choosing...and here's where you come in.

This is such a generic question, but what should I read? It has to be a classic work. I'm looking for something that's engaging--preferably something that almost makes you want to grab a pen and note passages that really move you or help you to see life in a better light. Lily told me that Voltaire's Candide was a family recommendation, but they only offer that book in french. Any other recommendations?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

my top two recommendations would be the brothers karamazov (richard pevear translation) and don quixote (edith grossman translation).

those probably aren't available, but some other favorite classics that come to mind are treasure island, frankenstein, huck finn, crime and punishment (pevear translation), the hobbit, a wrinkle in time and black beauty.

those are books i really enjoy but i don't know if i can say they ever made me want to grab a pen and see life in a better light, whatever that means.

:)
Edward

Post by Edward »

The Silmarillion!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love dailylit!! - I did The Wind in the Willows and enjoyed it a lot. How about A Wrinkle in Time or Einstein's Dreams?.