Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Steve

Re: Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Post by Steve »

Let's just say that Mark Twain and I share opinions about statistics.

My instructional psychology and design readings are pretty fascinating, though.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ann

Post by Ann »

I'm sure I would agree with both of you, but I can't seem to get away from it (biostatistics).

This summer I read 1776 (David McCullough),
Anne of Green Gables (Lucy Maud Montgomery),
reread/finished Little Men (Louisa May Alcott),
Standing For Something (Gordon B. Hinckley),
To The Rescue (The Biography of President Monson, by Heidi Swinton),
The Help
These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (Nancy E. Turner)
parts of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Dr. Marc Weissbluth)
started a few other books with my book club but didn't have time to finish
read a bit of dermatology and hematology/oncology in conjunction with my last two rotations of residency
lots of fun books with Caleb - Chicken Soup with Rice (Maurice Sendak) is a particular favorite of his
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

With all my current traveling, I have had time to read...(no complains here!).
Here is what I have read so far.

1. Ensign - May 2012.

2. And Only To Deceive - a mystery by Tasha Alexander. Not one of my favorites. She is a prolific writer.

3. No Mark Upon Her - another mystery by Deborah Crombie. Did not love it, by another prolific writer. Where do mystery writers come up with these titles?
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I just finished Newbery Medal winner - M.C.Higgins, the Great by Virginia Hamilton. I am afraid to say that the only great thing about this book is in the title of the book. I believe Hamilton was trying to create a simple story about three days in the life of M.C.Higgins. Not interesting enough. And if you like bunnies you will not appreciate his skinning a rabbit. I usually appreciate Hamilton's non fiction books. I was disappointed by this fiction story.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

More Perfect than the Moon by Patricia MacLachlan - I love all of the books MacLachlan has written. She continues the story of Sarah, Plain and Tall. I recommend this book to all ages.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds - Quick read and Newbery Award winner. I enjoyed this action packed story.

I liked Michael Mazza's review of this book

"The Matchlock Gun," by Walter D. Edmonds, features illustrations by Paul Lantz. The copyright page notes that this book was originally published in 1941. The entire book is about 80 pages long; the main text is 62 pages long and is divided into ten chapters. In his foreword Edmonds establishes the setting of the book: the French and Indian War in colonial America. The tale looks at the war's impact on the Van Alstyne family: husband Teunis, wife Gertrude, 10-year old son Edward, and 6-year old daughter Trudy. Teunis, "a true Dutchman," is a militia captain. The tale's first chapter establishes Edward's fascination with the gun of the title, a massive Spanish weapon that hangs over the mantel.

Edmonds has crafted a simple but suspenseful tale of life in what one character calls "the wild America" during wartime. He appeals to the senses with vivid details such as the smell from butter churning. The book also gives a glimpse into his characters' domestic and social lives. Despite its short length, this is a rich text that touches on such themes as advancing weapons technology, the Dutch cultural presence in colonial America, and--most importantly--the impact of war upon families. Edward is an appealing young hero. A short author bio at the end of the book notes that Edmonds was born in upper New York State and that in 1942 this book received the Newbery Medal.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I just read two good books. A great mystery The Agony Column by Earl Derr Biggers ( who also wrote The Charlie Chan series ). And The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs by Alexander McCall Smith who is quite a prolific writer.

Any other summer reading going on??
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love this quote -

“ The true university of these days is a collection of books. ”

— Thomas Carlyle

So any summer reading some of you would like to share?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

We are coming to the end of our summer reading. Please post your summer readings for 2012.

I just read -

1. May Christ Lift Thee Up - Talks from the 1998 BYU Women's Conference. I learned a lot from this book.

2. Clothed With Charity - Talks from the 1996 BYU Women's Conference. Enjoyable book.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Aside from the books I read at your place this summer, I've read a lot of children's books and a lot of articles and resources on teaching and learning. I would like to finish The Brothers Karamazov, The Dark Frigate, Shantung Compound, and The Paradox of Choice soon.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Steve for sharing your summer reading. I finished reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.
I absolutely loved it!! - truly a must read.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I should have turn off the TV week more often. I did a lot of reading.
1. Finding God in the Garden - Planting, Pruning and the Plan of Happiness by Brent and Wendy Top. I love gardens and the gospel so in spite of the awkward title it is a lovely book.

2. Send Forth with Honor - Helps for Parents of Missionaries by Randy L. Bott. This is a great resource book. I loved the many great quotes from the prophets.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Enoch Letters by Neal A. Maxwell. This short little book might be Elder Maxwell's only fiction book. Through imaginary communication from a man called Mahijah to his imaginary friend Omner. Elder Maxwell probes the reasons for the glory of the city of Enoch.
John

Post by John »

Just finished "The Great Bridge" by David McCullough.
Brilliant, captivating, compelling, insightful, moving.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So it's that time again when we share the books we are reading and have read for summer 2013. I just read three quick reads while I'm reading Austen's Sense and Sensibility.

1. The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono. No this is not the story of Johnny Appleseed. Beautiful wood engravings by Michael McCurdy.

2. The Worst Witch at Sea story and illustrations by Jill Murphy. I love Murphy's illustrations. This is a fun chapter book for children over 7-years-old.

3. Drawing Out The Dragons: A Meditation on Art, Destiny, and the Power Of Choice by James Owen. I really enjoyed this book on perseverence.