Ongoing List of Projects

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Ian
Site Admin

Ongoing List of Projects

Post by Ian »

This is an ongoing list of projects relating to genealogy and family history research. I'll try to update this regularly. Please feel free to post suggestions for new projects. Let me know if I should clarify anything or if you would like to help with any of the projects listed below. I'll delete projects as we complete them.

Last updated: June 5, 2014

Temple Ordinances
We need to enter the dates of temple ordinances for all of our ancestors. This requires checking the church website and entering the data into our website. This will enable us to determine which family members have not had temple work done yet. I’ve done a little of this using the new familysearch website. One of the tricky things is that some people have had the work done multiple times.

Census Records
We’re always looking for scanned images of census records of our ancestors. So far I’ve focused primarily on direct ancestors (not siblings), going back to the 1850 census.

Death Certificates
We’re always looking for scanned images of death certificates of our ancestors. So far I’ve focused primarily on direct ancestors (not siblings).

Headstones and Cemeteries
We’re always looking for photos of headstones of buried ancestors. So far I’ve focused primarily on direct ancestors (not siblings). We’ve already obtained lots of photos from find-a-grave.com, to which new photos are regularly uploaded. We should continue searching for photos of ancestors on that website, and we should also take photos of headstones not available there. For example, grandma has mentioned that there is a cemetery in Yura, Peru, named “Calderón” for her grandfather (Mariano Calderón), where many of our Calderón relatives were buried.

Alexander Family Line
In late 2013 we were contacted by Charles Alexander, who has done a lot of research on the Alexander line of our family. The big mystery right now is Philip Alexander (his birth and parentage). One theory was that he descended from Massasoit, but that theory seems to contradict DNA evidence. Charles Alexander theorizes that Philip’s father was Nathaniel Alexander, whose father was George Alexander, who came from Scotland. We’re keeping an eye on this.

Rondot Family Line
Right now we have information on this line going back to Claude Francis Rondot (born 1793 in France). I have seen family trees taking this line way back into France, but no supporting evidence yet.

Ervin Family Line
In 2012 we were contacted by Thomas Ervin and Rene Ervin, who shared information about our ancestor Jeremiah Ervin. It appears that Jeremiah was adopted or at least lived in the household of John P. Waters in Indiana. Jeremiah’s mother appears to have the maiden name “Bowser” or “Bouser”, which line we should continue to research (this may be a German line).

Pedro Domingo Murillo
According to Aunt Aida’s book (“El Apostol del los Andes”), Nestor Peñaranda is a great-grandson of Pedro Domingo Murillo, who was a well-known Bolivian patriot and martyr. I scanned a book that was published in Bolivia called “Estirpe y genealogía del protomártir Pedro Domingo Murillo” by Arturo Costa de la Torre, which contains a great deal of genealogical information about Murillo. We need to establish the link between Nestor Peñaranda and Pedro Domingo Murillo, and then we need to go through this book, translate it from Spanish and enter the information into our website. I’m sure we can also find additional information about Murillo from other sources. We may be able to get some help from mom’s cousin, Beatrice Peñaranda Montalvo, who lives in La Paz and has been involved with temple work there.

Europäische Stammtafeln
We traced a line of ancestors from grandma’s Tamayo family going back to royal European families, especially to the house of Burgundy. These lines go back to Hugh Capet, Charlemagne, etc. I believe most of this data can be obtained from Band II of the Europäische Stammtafeln. I ordered the 1984 edition (from the third series) and scanned most of it. We still need to finish entering the data into our website. This takes lesser priority than other projects because most of the temple work for this period has probably been done. This is more of an “historical interest” project.

Journals/Diaries of Oliver Boardman and William Huntington
These should be accessible from our website. It would be best to have scanned images as well as transcribed text.
Last edited by Ian on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Re: Ongoing List of Projects

Post by Tuly »

This is very impressive. Thank you Ian for giving our family specific projects to work on. I can scan some of the journals.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ann

Post by Ann »

Thanks for posting this, Ian, and for all of your hard work thus far. There is certainly a lot of work to be done (probably the understatement of the year) and this helps us know where to focus our efforts. Looks like fun!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

updated the list; the genealogy home page has been redesigned. everyone please feel free to offer suggestions for improvement.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks Ian for all your work. I love the slide show and the calendar section which apparently has always been there. All of this work is 'hastening the work of salvation'. I have been working on the name Juana Barrera - who is the oldest sister of my grandfather Mariano (there are a lot of Maria's and Mariano's in the Tamayo side).
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i think you mean your great-great grandfather mariano.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

and juana is his daughter.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

updated the list; the below project is complete (data has been entered into the website):

Town of Tolland Microfilm
The Town of Tolland, Connecticut, has maintained records of birth, marriages and deaths since the 1600s. In 1983, the early records were microfilmed by the Genealogical Society in Salt Lake City. In 2013, I ordered this microfilm (FHL #1376026) and scanned most of it. We still need to finish entering the data into our website. This data relates to Oliver Boardman Huntington’s ancestors, going back three or four generations (almost all of whom lived in Tolland).