Indexing

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Tuly

Indexing

Post by Tuly »

Indexing, I am doing it! I actually started indexing two years ago. Right now I'm working on Peru batches. If I'm not sure of a name or word I leave it blank. I don't want to take any chances in misguiding any one with wrong information. However FamilySearch is very helpful with tips. I also found out that you can't download the indexing program on your tablet or chrome book. Join the fun.

https://www.lds.org/church/events/volun ... _&lang=eng
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Angela

Re: Indexing

Post by Angela »

I started indexing about six weeks ago and this email came one week ago.
indexing email.jpg
I don't know what milestone they're talking about. The only milestone I've completed was watching the indexing tutorial. FYI, the requirements to apply to be an arbitrator (via FamilySearch) are:

*Study the basic indexing guidelines.
*Index at least 4,000 records or 200 batches from a variety of projects and skill levels.
*Take the arbitration tutorial.
*If you feel you are ready after completing these steps, contact your group administrator, stake indexing director, or FamilySearch support to discuss your qualifications.

I'm not going to be an arbitrator until I finish all of these requirements. I've done 3778 records of varying skill levels, so I'm close. It's trickier to do the advanced ones because there aren't as many in English. It's fun and easy and so entertaining!! I love reading about all of these people!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yay!! future arbitrator!! - you are too humble Angela. I'm still at beginning level in indexing and it is not easy. I look up to our arbitrators.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

Nice! I can't wait to see what other levels you unlock with your efforts.

"Congratulations! You have achieved an indexing milestone that may qualify you to become a FamilySearch second lieutenant..."
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

A big reason I'm determined to do try to be an arbitrator quickly, is because I get so upset when my indexing comes back poorly arbitrated! I'd really like to be able to discuss the differing opinion with that arbitrator, but I can't! So, I'm taking matters into my own hands, sort of.

Steve, I totally wish there were some kind of way to work up to a supreme arbitrator general or some such thing. That would be amazing!!
Edward

Post by Edward »

I have always felt that if I was going to be given a superfluous title, Ambassador would be my first choice.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Angela

Post by Angela »

I think I like the military titles more. I feel that ambassadors aren't in the trenches. It's one of those things where if I want it done right, I have to do it myself, I can't rely on my representative. However, I'm not dismissing all ambassadors, I'm sure there are some out there that do something...
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's Sergeant Ambassador to you, Private! Drop and give me twenty...names.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

But as a First Supreme Admiral Arbitrator, doesn't Angela outrank you Steve? Are you in a position to give orders to your senior officer?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I wasn't talking to her! :)
Edward

Post by Edward »

But, certainly you wouldn't be referring to me, would you "sergeant?" Because as you surely must know, my diplomatic status as Ambassador grants me political immunity; a military officer would have no grounds on which to give orders to anybody serving in a diplomatic position. This has international incident written all over it .....

Man, Ambassador is the best title EVER!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Curses. And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids.

Back to you, indexing discussers.
Angela

Post by Angela »

indexing if fun.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I'm not an "arbitrator" like Angela but I enjoy the annual worldwide indexing event - this year July 15-17. https://www.lds.org/church/events/world ... t?lang=eng.
I look forward when I can use my chrome book to do indexing, last year it still was not available for tablets and chrome books.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Did some indexing yesterday - Kentucky, marriage certificates. Apparently there was a great need for this service.