Headstones (ongoing)

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Angela

Re: Headstones (ongoing)

Post by Angela »

I called Valhalla today. I don't know when I'll be able to say that again. I spoke with a very nice woman who helped me to locate both Earl and Letitia Rondot's graves. They are located in mauseleum 8, lot 629, spaces 19 & 20.
John

Post by John »

Fantastic! Thank you, Angela. Let's make a trip. Is there any way to get a map of the cemetery to give us an idea where mausoleum 8 is? Apparently it is a rather large cemetery, and the yelp reviews are not particularly encouraging about customer service.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Angela

Post by Angela »

like i said, talked with a very nice/helpful lady. She has a map waiting for me with the rondot's location.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

until today we weren't sure that earl was buried there, so this is good news.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

updated above, headstones added for the following people:

Pierce Brothers Valhalla Memorial Park, North Hollywood, Los Angeles, California (Link):
Earl Eugene Rondot
Letitia Davis Rondot
John

Post by John »

Thank you very much, Ian and Angela.

Looking back over the 5 year existence of this thread, and based upon the glaring absence of responses, it appears that, with the exception of our two oldest children, there is either a remarkable indifference or a puzzling ambivalence to this work. If you choose to view this comment as a rebuke, please do. And make some changes. With all my love and good will,

Dad

Please note that you yourselves love your own children enough to correct them, yes? Would you please be good enough to not only dish it out, but take it as well?
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

it appears that, with the exception of our two oldest children, there is either a remarkable indifference or a puzzling ambivalence to this work. If you choose to view this comment as a rebuke, please do. And make some changes.
Dad, while I am here, and while I'm bothering everybody being vocal about everything, I would venture to say that none of your children are ambivalent toward the work. I wonder if, instead of a rebuke, (and making a clear distinction between which children are more favored in this regard) might I suggest that you find a concrete task for any of us to attend to that would be helpful for the work? We are all adults now. We are quite capable of doing all this work. Some just don't know where to start. If we could be more productive and promoting instead of chastening, I would so appreciate it. Thank you.

I know you are not asking for my advice, but I have another idea to share. Another good way to encourage someone toward desirable behaviors is to point out the things they are doing right. This is called positive re-enforcement. It is an excellent tool. You could have us all changing our careers to being full-time family history professionals I bet ;-)

I think a lot of us are doing good work by attending the temple and doing work for the dead there. There is a lot to be said for the sacrifice of making time to go there. Thank you everybody.
John

Post by John »

Betsy, you will find more of my response to your rebuke a little later, on the private discussion board.

But I am showing no greater favor to any one child above another. It is simply an empirical fact that for five years this thread on headstones has elicited response only from Ian, Angela, Lily, Steve, and I, and never once from you or any other of the children. Your one post has nothing to do with the thread, but simply takes another opportunity to paint yourself as victim, martyr, and champion of the downtrodden. You adopt a smug and superior tone which is disrespectful of your parents. You employ passive aggression in the attempt to instruct about "positive reinforcement", but that "tool" is glaringly absent from your own rebuke. Physician, heal thyself.

So you want to be commanded in all things, eh? You have just been waiting around in all your lofty adulthood for someone to give you an assignment, eh? Okay, here's your assignment.

Show some adult initiative and stop expecting someone else to do YOUR family history work. Going to the temple is wonderful. I praise you for going regularly. I am very glad that you are clearly worthy and attentive to temple attendance. Period.

Now, when was the last time you did temple work for one of your own kindred dead?
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Wow, that was not expected.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Oh Betsy. You made this a way bigger deal than could possibly be necessary. Father has rebuked me for not visiting this thread enough. I stand rebuked! And I now repent!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Edward

Post by Edward »

Boy those headstones sure are classy! I gotta get me one of those right away!
Edward

Post by Edward »

Wow, they sure don't make headstones like they used to!
Edward

Post by Edward »

You know, you gotta love when a grave has a real monument instead of just a plaque! Time to start saving!
Last edited by Edward on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edward

Post by Edward »

And now, I have commented as much as anybody here! See! No need to turn a benign and utterly harmless rebuke into a study of the complexities of our familial relationships. I too am now worthy of praise! And it will be genuine too once I post pictures of our visit to prove my sincerity!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

we have discovered many great headstones so far. among my favorites are those of our ancestors benjamin cooley, and his wife, mary cooley. they were buried in vermont in the late 1700s. it would be great to take higher-quality photos someday.

the inscriptions are difficult to read, but they appear to be:

"In memory of Mr. Benjamin Cooley who died April 1, 1790, in the 89 year of his age.
Behold & see & view this stone
Prepare for death as I have done
Apply to Christ's all cleansing blood
Forsake your sins & Live to God"

"Mary wife of Benjamin Cooley died June 16, 1799, in the 74th year of her age.
Virtue lives beyond the grave
My transient seans are ore
Heaven is my native air,
I bid my friends a short adieu
Impatient to be there."