Newbery Medal Award Book Club

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Re: Newbery Medal Award Book Club

Post by Tuly »

I did read When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller. It was a fast read and it was based on a lovely Korean folktale. Lily, the hero in the story prepares herself to deal with the coming death of her grandmother Halmoni. I enjoyed it and recommend it.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Jane

Post by Jane »

I'll have to try it sometime! :) I've been wanting to read it!
"Success is not final; Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston S. Churchill :chewie:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

These are The Newbery and Caldecott winners for 2022
Newbery Medal
The John Newbery Medal, which honors the "most outstanding contribution to children's literature," was awarded to Donna Barba Higuera's "The Last Cuentista." According to publisher Levine Querido, the novel follows a girl named Petra Peña, forced to abandon Earth after a comet destroys it, who spends hundreds of years asleep until she wakes to find she carries the only memories of humanity's former planet.

Four other books received Newbery Honors, including "Watercress" and "Too Bright to See," which also received additional awards.
Caldecott Medal
"Watercress," an autobiographical story that tracks a first-generation girl rediscovering her Chinese heritage by foraging for the titular leafy green in Ohio, was awarded the Randolph Caldecott Medal, given to the "most distinguished American picture book for children."
Author Andrea Wang said she was "screaming with joy" at the news, and that illustrator Jason Chin's "incredible, luminous, exquisite art not only brought the story to life but also brought lost family back to me."
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I finished reading The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera. A young Petra Pena has to leave earth because earth is about to be destroyed by a comet. She memorizes stories that she hopes to keep alive in the new world. A true youthful dystopia story. I'm not a science fiction lover so maybe that is why I did not love this book.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This website is a collection of 90 seconds Newbery Medal Award videos made by youth. Some of them are pretty clever - https://90secondnewbery.com/
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Well, school has started for most of you. This is what I read this past summer.

1. Belonging by Nora Krug. Fun graphic novel about Germany.

2. Donovan's Word Jar by Monalisa DEGross. Lovely book about increasing our vocabulary.

3. Women in the Kitchen by Anne Willan. Great resource book about cook book writers and some of their recipes.

4. Premeditated Myrtle by Elizabeth C. Bunce. Loved this youth mystery.

5. A Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole. Pippa suggested this book, I'm glad I read it.

6. Declutter Your Mind by S. J. Scott, Barrie Davenport. I reread this book. I found it very helpful.

7. The Holy Invitation by Anthony Sweat. Short read about temple endowments.

8. The Cozy Life by Pia Edberg. I reread this book and found it helpful in simplifying my life.

9. Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian. I truly loved this novel.

10. The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker. Somewhat useful and interesting.

11. Crispin: At the Edge of the Sea by Avi. Good sequel to the first book Crispin.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The 2023 winners for the Newbery Medal Award and Caldecott medal were awarded yesterday.

The Newbery Medal Award went to Freewater by Amina Luqman-Dawson.

The Caldecott Award went to Hot Dog illustrated and written by Doug Salati.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have read the Newbery Award Winner for 2023 - Freewater by Amina Luqman Dawson, and did enjoy it. It is a historical fiction story about were slaves used to hide when they escaped their establishments.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

A list of all the 2024 award winners and honor selections follows:

John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children's literature: “The Eyes and the Impossible,” written by Dave Eggers, is the 2024 Newbery Medal winner. The book is illustrated by Shawn Harris and published simultaneously by Alfred A. Knopf, an imprint of Random House Children’s Books, a division of Penguin Random House, and McSweeney’s.

Five Newbery Honor Books also were named: “Eagle Drums,” written and illustrated by Nasuġraq Rainey Hopson and published by Roaring Book Press, a division of Holtzbrinck Publishing; “Elf Dog and Owl Head,” written by M.T. Anderson, illustrated by Junyi Wu and published by Candlewick Press; “Mexikid: A Graphic Memoir,” written and illustrated by Pedro Martín and published by Dial Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Penguin Random House; “Simon Sort of Says,” written by Erin Bow and published by Disney-Hyperion, an imprint of Buena Vista Books, Inc.; and “The Many Assassinations of Samir, the Seller of Dreams,” written by Daniel Nayeri, illustrated by Daniel Miyares and published by Arthur A. Levine, an imprint of Levine Querido.

Randolph Caldecott Medal for the most distinguished American picture book for children: “Big,” illustrated and written by Vashti Harrison, is the 2024 Caldecott Medal winner. The book was published by Little, Brown and Co., a division of Hachette Book Group, Inc.

Four Caldecott Honor Books also were named: “In Every Life,” illustrated and written by Marla Frazee and published by Beach Lane Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing Division; “Jovita Wore Pants: The Story of a Mexican Freedom Fighter,” illustrated by Molly Mendoza, written by Aida Salazar and published by Scholastic Press, an imprint of Scholastic Inc.; “There Was a Party for Langston,” illustrated by Jerome Pumphrey and Jarrett Pumphrey, written by Jason Reynolds and published by Caitlyn Dlouhy Books/Atheneum Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing; and “The Truth About Dragons,” illustrated by Hanna Cha, written by Julie Leung and published by Henry Holt and Co., an imprint of Macmillan Publishing Group.
I read The Eyes and the Impossible by Dave Eggers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend it. I predict this story will be made into an animated movie.