Our Genealogy/Family History Website

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
John

Re: Our Genealogy/Family History Website

Post by John »

TinaMarie,

We're very happy to see that the website is generating interest from our Huntington relations. This is just the sort of response we hope will continue.

As Ian stated, according to all the research and sources we have, this particular John Huntington was the son of

John Huntington, b. 4 Jul, 1691 at Norwich, New London, Connecticut
and
Thankful Warner (or Warren) christened 2 May, 1697 at Windham, Windham, Connecticut

He (the John in question, their son) was born 22 Feb, 1726 in Tolland, Tolland County, Connecticut
and died 23 Mar, 1774.
He married Mehitable Steele on 23 Mar, 1749 and by her had 14 children, the seventh of whom, William, is our progenitor, and the eldest of the Huntington line to have joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but being when he did so, too old to have followed the migration west. His son, William, however, became a prominent leader among the Mormons, and his descendants represent a large contingent of Huntingtons who have played significant roles in Mormon history.

John's siblings, according to our records, were:

Thankful (named after their mother, Thankful Warner) b. 16 Mar, 1727 d. 14 Jul, 1739
Samuel (named after their paternal g.grandfather, Samuel Lathrop) b. 14 Jul, 1728 d. 1761
Andrew (named after their maternal grandfather, Andrew Warner) b. 17 Sep, 1730
Abigail (named after their paternal grandmother, Abigail Lathrop) b. 1 Oct, 1732 d. 6 Jan, 1769
Deborah (named after their maternal grandmother, Deborah Leffingwell) b. 21 May, 1736 d. 6 Jan, 1769

Our records are the personal family records of my mother, Grace Letitia Rondot Huntington, which she compiled over the course of her lifetime starting from her marriage to my father, Roy Leon Huntington, in 1946 until her death in 1980,
and also the records of my paternal grandmother, Elizabeth Ross Huntington.
The sources listed in my mother's meticulous research, I will list as shown on the family group sheet she compiled:

"Conn V 1 pg 72 (I assume the "Conn" means Connecticut and implies an official state record)
Huntington, Gen. (This is the "Huntington Genealogical Memoir" published first in 1856 or 1857 and then again in 1915)
Memoirs p 353
Red Book p 30"

"Name and address of person submitting this [family group] sheet:
Eva C. Johnson
136 W. Center
Springville, Utah" (William's son, Oliver Boardman Huntington, my g.g.grandfather, settled Springville)

This typewritten sheet that I am looking at to offer this information is, as I say, from my mother's "Book of Remembrance" and it appears to have been compiled probably before 1960 and certainly after 1946. I clearly remember having read this page in my childhood, and I was born in 1952.
Because I have relied so strongly on my trust in my mother's attention to detail, I have not returned to the 1915 Huntington Family Memoir to double-check these dates, but I am anxious to purchase one at some point from the Huntington Family Association so that I can. It is, however, available online, and I would encourage a check there.

I assume you are aware of the very extensive Huntington Family Association and their website. One of their researchers, Chuck Huntington, seems to be among the very most well-versed experts on Huntington history and is the chief respondent for questions of this nature. I highly recommend him to you. He is very familiar with these early generations of the American Huntington lineage.

Once again, thanks for your interest in the family, and greetings to you from this set of cousins. I have even closer cousins who also live or have lived in Colorado as well.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
HuntingtonGdaughter

Post by HuntingtonGdaughter »

Hello~
Thank you for the welcome. I don't seem to have grave markers etc. for this Tolland line :? I seldom wonder outside my direct line in Canada. Happened onto your site (thank you) as I decided to expand my data base. The history part I'm addicted to. I'll dig some more (or get one of the diehard cousins on it) when I get a chance but looked in the Memoir you mentioned by Elijah Baldwin; indicates he is unsure of John's birthdate [ref record 207] as it has a (?) in front of the 1726 date. Don't have and can't confirm the death date you indicated for Deborah either - hard on the maternal side as you know, the rest seems to match.

I have also been to Huntington Assoc. website:
PresidentHFA@aol.com to me
show details Jan 5 (8 days ago) Reply
"on it...thank you for your input"
In a message dated 12/29/2008 11:25:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tinamburns writes:
"...This page on your web site does not make sense to me...
http://www.huntington.tierranet.com/db/fam01212.htm
It indicates:
Simon b.1583
William b. unknown (I believe this to be the william born in 1621)
William b. 1780
This would mean the William you have listed unknown birthdate was over 150+ year old father to the 3rd generation. Is this data correct?"

I'm a little detail oriented but I'm sure not without error when running late nights with this stuff :wink:

I'll pass info on if I run across any. Not sure when the next site will be up, we are working a reunion.

Best to all!
Warmly~
TinaMarie
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Ian, has certainly captured the Spirit of Elijah. Do check in our genealogy section, all of the new entries.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
deardeniseh

Post by deardeniseh »

My name is Denise Huntington. I am the daughter of Russell Huntington, the youngest of the children of George Augustus and Elizabeth Ross Huntington. That would make John my cousin (Roy is my uncle).

My father was not very close to his family once he left home and I seldom saw my Aunt Maurine or my uncles or cousins. Grandpa Huntington died a few days after my 4th birthday....I saw him shortly before he died in Mesa, AZ and it is my only real memory of him. Grandma Huntington (Bessie) died when I was 12 and I only remember visiting with her twice. So I didn't really know much of the Huntington side of my family. I do know that we lived in Mesa with Aunt Maurine and/or Grandma & Grandpa for about 6 months when I was a year old, but I have no memory of that.

I talked with my father extensively the year or two before he died (1/2/2002) and he told me a lot about his years growing up in Midway. I know he also became closer to his brothers in the several years before his death and had many phone conversations with Uncles Bob, Rulon and Roy. In fact, I took a call from Uncle Roy a week prior to Dad's death, the day I had to place him in a nursing home. It was such an uplifting conversation...Uncle Roy was so loving and helpful to me while I was going through that tough time.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you how happy I am to find this website. I've been doing family genealogy for a year now and this website has been very helpful. I loved the reminiscences from Uncle Rulon! It has also allowed me to see some pictures that I know I had seen in my younger years at Grandma's house.

Keep up the good work. I'll be back often!

Denise
John

Post by John »

Denise,
We are very pleased that you have found us. I have often noted your name in our records and wondered about Uncle Russell's progeny. It's gratifying that our website is serving a useful purpose of linking us to our heritage and extended family. We assume that it gives you some insight and knowledge of us, and would love to hear about you and your family life. Do visit often, and if you're ever in Southern California, we'd love to have you visit in person.

We would love, as well, to hear any of Russell's reminiscences as you recall them. As is the case with all large families, the younger children have a different perspective than the older ones. The more input we have, the more clear the picture of our parents' lives and legacy, and through them the image of grandparents comes more in focus.

Nothing I have yet encountered tarnishes the impression I have of George and Bessie as noble, humble, faithful folk. I am honored to be counted theirs.

Welcome, welcome.

John
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

denise, thank you for visiting. please let us know if you notice any errors in our record, or if you have any information to add. thanks!
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

by the way, last year we received an email from tina marie huntington burns (registered on this forum as HhuntingtonGdaughter). tina marie's branch of the huntington family stems from eastern canada. she sent a link to her genealogy website, here it is:

http://www.ourgenealogytree.com/
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

for your information, the genealogy site is currently undergoing repairs. it will be up and running again by the end of this week.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

the necessary repairs are complete. oh, i'm afraid that our genealogy site will be quite operational, if you click THIS LINK.
palpatine.jpg
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Ian. Many generations will thank you for all your work.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
John

Post by John »

I hope you are all following the terrific work Ian has been doing lately posting photos of numerous death certificates he has located. We are learning new details about ancestors personalities and lives and statistics that can draw us closer to them and further our "most important work". I look forward to hearing from each of you what you are doing to contribute. This is the most vital aspect of the website, you know.

go to the genealogy page
click "pedigree chart"
click "media"
behold!

I'm particularly thrilled to have documentation proving the link between Rebecca Ann Opliger and her parents. This is something my mother searched her whole life for and never found due to a silly inkblot.

You can also view these certificates and documents when you click on one of the individual names. I love to see how user friendly our website is for this research. Thanks, Ian.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I recently caught another reference to Henry E. Huntington on a design podcast I follow, if anyone's interested (though I recognize that information about him is not difficult to come by). ;)

http://99percentinvisible.org/post/4026 ... conspiracy
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
John

Post by John »

I just found this obituary for Chauncey D. Huntington on page 509 in "History of Jefferson County, New York" by L. H. Everts and J. M. Holcomb pub. J.B. Lippincott & Co.

Chauncey, the eldest child of William and Zina Baker Huntington was the only sibling that did not join the church, but remained in New York. Oliver writes frequently of him in his journals.
chauncey huntington obituary.jpg