Elizabeth Enright (1909-1968)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Elizabeth Enright (1909-1968)

Post by Tuly »

Technically this post should be in the summer reading thread or the Newbery Award thread. Alas it has its own thread. I have enjoyed many of Enright's books. I just finished reading her 1938 Newbery Award winning book - Thimble Summer - which is lovely and charming. These are the books she wrote.
Children's books
1935 - Kintu: A Congo Adventure - Farrar & Rinehart;
1938 - Thimble Summer - Farrar & Rinehart — Newbery Medal Winner
1940 - The Sea Is All Around - Farrar & Rinehart
1951 - A Christmas Tree for Lydia - Henry Holt and Company — a small-format gift book illustrated by the author; originally published in the magazine Woman's Home Companion as "A Tree for Lydia")
1957 - Gone-Away Lake - Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc. — Newbery Honor book, ALA Notable Book
1961 - Return to Gone-Away - Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.
1963 - Tatsinda - Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.
1965 - Zeee - Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.
Melendy quartet
1941 - The Saturdays - Farrar & Rinehart — ALA Notable Book
1942 - The Four-Story Mistake - Farrar & Rinehart
1944 - Then There Were Five - Farrar & Rinehart
1951 - Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze - Farrar & Rinehart
This was part of her 1938 Newbery Medal acceptance speech -
"Of course in every childhood there is sorrow, too. Sometimes a lot of it. And it seems more unjust and undeserved than it ever will again. Sorrow in childhood is a monstrous, alien thing, and one has not yet learned any philosophy that can dull the corners of it.
Fortunately, though, for the normal child who is brought up in safety, the grief lasts a far shorter time than the happiness. His grief is hot, and violent, and soon over, like a firecracker, but his unconscious joy and interest in living are steady, and taken for granted, as daylight is. Always, for him, there is the large, uncomplicated fact that he is loved, and protected, fed, disciplined, and dealt with justly by his family. The world, for him, is a secure, eternal place.
let us all hope, even in such sick and troubled times as these, that someday it will be the privilege of every child to feel like this."
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31