Foundations in Music Theory by Leon Dallin

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Foundations in Music Theory by Leon Dallin

Post by Tuly »

This book is quite meaningful to me because when I was a freshman at Bronx Community College I was surrounded by High School of Music and Art alumni, they all knew music theory very well. I on the other hand did not know much music theory. So I decided to go Schirmer's at 4th east 49th St. in Manhattan my favorite place to go for music (It has been long gone) there I searched for a basic music theory book that would help me do better in music theory. I finally came along this treasure - Foundations in Music Theory by Leon Dallin - I love this book it helped me tremendously to understand basic music theory. After all these years I finally decided to look up who Leon Dallin is and this is what I found.
Leon Dallin was an American music theorist and professor of music at Brigham Young University and California State University, Long Beach. He is known for his primary work, Techniques of Twentieth Century Composition: A Guide to the Materials of Modern Music.
Born in 1918, he received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in music from the Eastman School of Music and his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley.
He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He died in 1993.
Talk about a small world. Dallin taught at BYU from 1948-1955, I was there 1971-1976.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31