Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House

Post by Tuly »

Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson. We are all homemakers whether we are married or single. I basically learned about housekeeping when I was married. I feel my daughters are far better housekeepers now than I was their age, but I'm still learning to refine this important skill, that gets ignored as we get busier with our lives. This book is filled with detailed instructions on how to manage subjects like; food, cloth, cleanliness, daily life, sleep, safe shelter, and formalities. I get a personal high when I organize or do a great job cleaning a part of the house.
This is another review.
Mendelson's well-researched book includes meticulous sections on food (for example, which foods belong in the fridge versus the pantry, food storage times, picking the freshest fruits and vegetables, and keeping your kitchen and food sanitary) as well as laundry (caring for various fabrics, how to read--and read between the lines of--clothing care labels, and removing stains). Mendelson covers a lot of ground, and as she herself points out, readers shouldn't feel required to do everything mentioned in the book--simply pick the activities that seem appropriate for your particular home. This is a comprehensive reference book that should serve homemakers well and induce a greater appreciation for the effort and specialized knowledge that go into keeping house.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
James

Re: Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House

Post by James »

looks nice