Doubt

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Doubt

Post by Ian »

from two excellent talks last month:
Doubt is not and will never be the precursor of faith any more than light depends on darkness for its creation. Peter was not told, as he was slipping into the water after having tried to walk on it, “Oh Peter, if only you had more doubt.” No, he was told, “O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?”

"Doubt Not, but Be Believing," Elder Dale G. Renlund, January 13, 2019 Devotional
I heard someone say recently, “It is okay to have doubts.”

I wonder about that. The Lord said, “Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.” I have a lot of questions; I don’t have any doubts.

"Stand Forever," Elder Lawrence Corbridge, January 22, 2019 Devotional
doubt is worthless. it never leads to faith. doubt and faith cannot exist in the same person at the same time. faith eliminates doubt. i have no doubt that Jesus Christ is alive right now and that he personally leads and directs the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Re: Doubt

Post by Steve »

Love these. This topic also reminds me of Elder Uchtdorf's Be Not Afraid, Only Believe.

Satan, our adversary, wants us to fail. He spreads lies as part of his effort to destroy our belief. He slyly suggests that the doubter, the skeptic, the cynic is sophisticated and intelligent, while those who have faith in God and His miracles are naive, blind, or brainwashed. Satan will advocate that it is cool to doubt spiritual gifts and the teachings of true prophets.

I wish I could help everyone to understand this one simple fact: we believe in God because of things we know with our heart and mind, not because of things we do not know. Our spiritual experiences are sometimes too sacred to explain in worldly terms, but that doesn’t mean they are not real.

Heavenly Father has prepared for His children a spiritual feast, offering every kind of exquisite food imaginable—and yet, instead of enjoying these spiritual gifts, the cynics content themselves with observing from a distance, sipping from their cups of skepticism, doubt, and disrespect.

Why would anyone walk through life satisfied with the light from the candle of their own understanding when, by reaching out to our Heavenly Father, they could experience the bright sun of spiritual knowledge that would expand their minds with wisdom and fill their souls with joy?

(President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Be Not Afraid, Only Believe, October 2015 General Conference)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald