Come, Follow Me 2019

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Come, Follow Me 2019

Post by Tuly »

We started the Come, Follow Me program at the the end of December 2018 and have felt blessed and grateful for the inspiration of our prophet President Nelson to provide this course for us at this time of our lives. https://www.lds.org/manual/come-follow-me?lang=eng

Dad, Edward and I are noticing scriptures in The New Testament in a way we have not noticed before. For example in Luke 15 - the "lost" chapter. We can be any of the characters in this chapter - the lost sheep, the shepherd looking for the lost sheep, the lost coin, the woman looking for the lost coin, the lost son, the loving father who welcomes the son, the brother of the lost son.
We love starting with a hymn and closing with a hymn, we are trying to sing hymns as many times as we can in the week. Hymns bring the spirit to our home.
Some of us take notes, some of us journal some of what we learn.
The aim of all gospel learning and teaching is to deepen our conversion and help us become more like Jesus Christ. For this reason, when we study the gospel, we’re not just looking for new information; we want to become a “new creature” (see 2 Corinthians 5:17). This means relying on Christ to change our hearts, our views, our actions, and our very natures.

But the kind of gospel learning that strengthens our faith and leads to the miraculous change of conversion doesn’t happen all at once. It extends beyond a classroom into an individual’s heart and home. It requires consistent, daily efforts to understand and live the gospel. True conversion requires the influence of the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost guides us to the truth and bears witness of that truth (see John 16:13). He enlightens our minds, quickens our understanding, and touches our hearts with revelation from God, the source of all truth. The Holy Ghost purifies our hearts. He inspires in us a desire to live by truth, and He whispers to us ways to do this. Truly, “the Holy Ghost … shall teach [us] all things” (John 14:26).

For these reasons, in our efforts to live, learn, and teach the gospel, we should first and foremost seek the companionship of the Spirit. This goal should govern our choices and guide our thoughts and actions. We should seek after whatever invites the influence of the Spirit and reject whatever drives that influence away—for we know that if we can be worthy of the presence of the Holy Ghost, we can also be worthy to live in the presence of Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
There are many important promises given to us who participate in this program -
I suspect that some of you may be wondering if your gospel learning actually can become home centered and Church supported. Perhaps you are the only member of the Church in your home, or have an unsupportive spouse, or are a single parent, or live alone as a single or divorced Latter-day Saint, and you may have questions about how these principles apply to you. You may be a husband and a wife looking at each other and questioning, “Can we do this?”

Yes, you can do this! I promise that enabling blessings will flow into and be evident in your life. Doors will open. The light will shine. Your capacity will be increased to persevere diligently and patiently. - Elder David Bednar
Teaching in our homes needs to be clear and compelling but also spiritual, joyful, and full of love.

I promise that as we focus on our love for the Savior and His Atonement, make Him the centerpiece of our efforts to gather Israel on both sides of the veil, minister to others, and individually prepare to meet God, the influence of the adversary will be diminished and the joy, delight, and peace of the gospel will magnify our homes with Christlike love - Elder Quentin Cook
I invite all our family members and friends to participate in this important wonderful program. You will see the difference in your homes; there will be peace and joy in spite of all the trials we face and will continue to face daily.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Re: Come, Follow Me 2019

Post by Steve »

Yes, our family has enjoyed studying Come, Follow Me every evening and we are astonished by the insights that Jane and Abby share with us. It's been a great blessing. We're taking a 7-day break this week, though, to learn more about the temple (in response to Elder Bednar's invitation from general conference):

1. Why Latter-day Saints Build Temples
2. Why Ordinances and Covenants Matter
3. Inside Temples
4. About Proxy Baptism and Confirmation
5. About the Temple Endowment
6. About a Temple Sealing
7. Families and the Temple

We'll finish the week with the video of Elder Bednar and Elder Rasband walking us through the Rome Italy temple.

Regarding Luke 15, it's been interesting to consider the kinds of "lost" in that chapter. You have a sheep who inadvertently got lost. You have a coin that was lost by someone else. You have a prodigal son who willingly lost himself. In the case of the sheep, the Prophet Joseph Smith suggested that the Lord was especially critical of the self-righteous. "All the religious world is boasting of its righteousness—it is the doctrine of the devil to retard … our progress by filling us with self-righteousness" [Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, comps. and eds., The Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary Accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph (Provo, Utah: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1980), p. 123].

He suggests that the unrepentant, like those sheep in the 99 who didn't think themselves lost, were "so righteous" that they'd "be damned anyhow." He interpreted Jesus' teaching as "If you Pharisees and Sadducees are in the sheepfold, I have no mission for you. I am sent to look up sheep that are lost. I will back him up and make joy in heaven" (Willard Richards, Joseph Smith Journal, 29 January 1843).

It's no wonder that President Nelson invited us to repent daily. We're all lost. Some of us just don't know it.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks Steve. How did your "temple week" go?
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think it served as a good primer for them, but we'll continue to discuss those things going forward. We're blessed to live so close to temples as well, which helps make them a regular part of their lives.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald