Children's Books

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Angela

Re: Children's Books

Post by Angela »

I'm quite fond of Ezra Jack Keats.
John

Post by John »

My deepest thanks go to Ian and Mom and y'all for my Christmas gift this year.
This first edition copy of Carl Sandburg's "Rootabaga Stories" with the illustrations by Maud and Miska Petersham
is now one of my greatest treasures. I hope at some point soon to make a recording reading the stories aloud
for the benefit of the grandchildren, etc. Maybe I can coax Mom into joining me in adding some singing
as background underscoring. Maybe Bryn can contribute as well.

After reading them, maybe you'd all like to suggest some appropriate music to accompany them. :violin:
Carl Sandburg wrote them to his children, noting a severe lack of authentic American idiomatic folk tales.
I love the tender lilting musicality of his prose. During the years I spent reading aloud at La Tierra Elementary School,
These were among the very best and affecting stories I used. They're almost hypnotic when sensitively read aloud.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is an incredible Children's Literature blog - please check it out.

http://childlitbookclub.blogspot.com/
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Angela

Post by Angela »

Oliver just finished reading all 5 of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books himself this week, and we were looking into pictures of some old editions when we stumbled upon a Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle television series from 1994. Right now it's available on Hulu. I've tried watching 3 of the 12 and I can't bear to watch anymore. They're just awful!! There's no way I'm showing it to the kids. It has a few notable actors (Joan Cusack, Ed Begley Jr., Shelley Duval) in it, but nearly everything is just wrong. Such a waste of my time.

STICK WITH THE BOOKS!!! Exponentially better!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Noted! It'd be interesting to have a central list of successes (instances when the show or movie is as good as the book). It would probably be a very short list.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i've been saying for a while that to kill a mockingbird is the best and most faithful film adaptation of a book, but angela recently read goodbye mr. chips and said that the movie is right up there with to kill a mockingbird as best/most faithful film adaptation. i guess neither is a children's book though... no really good children's book film/tv adaptations come to mind.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I didn't mind the Wind in the Willows TV series. It shares the book's gentle emphasis on friendship and does reflect a love of the source material by its producers. It doesn't do full justice to Grahame's rich descriptions, and I'll always prefer the book, but it's a pretty honest attempt. Brambly Hedge is a similar example.

I also suppose that Charlie & Lola is as good as the books.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

I adore the 3 original lauren child books, and I'm not opposed to the others that came from the television series. I'll have to sit down and watch the Wind in the Willows sometime, as well as Brambly Hedge!
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you fancy Kenneth Grahame's Reluctant Dragon or Wind in the Willows, I highly recommend his lesser known The Golden Age. His grasp of childhood, even later in life, is remarkable, and the tales are a mix of sweet and tender nostalgia and hilarious adventure. Such keen observations are made; it's one of my favorite books.

And what challenges K.G. faced during his life! A mother who died when he was 5 (from the same illness Kenneth would contract), a drunken father who abandoned him and his siblings (Kenneth was the only one to attend his funeral many years later), raised by his maternal grandmother near the Thames (during his happier years). He was qualified for and wanted to attend Oxford, but his uncle wouldn't finance him, so he got a bank job instead. He married and had a son who was blind in one eye and squinted with the other. Grahame would tell his son bedtime stories (which were later compiled as The Wind in the Willows). His son would die years later on the train tracks near his school. Grahame did not write much after that.

A biographer, Peter Green, shared something I found interesting of this gifted author: During his early years at St. Edwards, a sports regimen had not been established and the boys had freedom to explore the old city with its quaint shops, historic buildings, and cobblestone streets, St Giles' Fair, the idyllic upper reaches of the River Thames, and the nearby countryside. I really like the sound of that.
Angela

Post by Angela »

i do really like both the reluctant dragon and the wind in the willows books, I must get the golden age!! thank you for the recommendation and the little bio!
Steve

Post by Steve »

The theme to Wind in the Willows:

Link
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

:purebliss:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31