This Website

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Re: This Website

Post by Tuly »

So we have a Christmas 2010 section in our photo section. It includes Margaret leaving to go to SLC. New Year's Eve activities, a McDonalds family trip and Emma having fun with our camera.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks Ian for fixing our website we have had some unusual guests. Well most of the Christmas decorations have been put away. We are adjusting to being a dynamic duo again. We look forward to more exciting threads from all of you as well as pictures, genealogy info and recipes this coming year.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

sorry there are still some bugs to fix, for example everyone lost their username colors. i'll work on that, let me know if you notice any other problems or have any requests or suggestions.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Lily

Post by Lily »

thanks, Ian. i kinda like being able to see which post was most recently updated on the right side. a change for the better! and now no more weird stranger posts. wonderful.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have posted Thanksgiving 2010 pictures up. On another comment we had a great Stake Conference with Elder Cook presiding. Our new Stake Presidency is President Dave Chamberlin - President, President Scott Sims - 1st Counselor, President Evan Gentry - 2nd Counselor.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So who are all those "guests" we had the last two days? wow!!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i updated a few things here, so let me know if anything isn't working... for those who have asked about smilies i think they are still there, you just have to click "view more smilies" and click on the different pages to see all of them... also, there is now a "quick reply" button at the bottom of each discussion, if you are logged in.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Ian for "upgrading" our website. I have uploaded more pictures in our family section from February to March. Seeing those pictures reminds me how very blessed we are as a family. :grouphug:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

it sounds like changes may be needed in the pictures section of the website, may i please solicit your suggestions?
Lily

Post by Lily »

chronological is logical. with most recent photos at the beginning. maybe separate (chronological!) albums for family events, still keeping individual families' with their own albums?

not sure if i know of any fancy web gallery application thingies.
Lily

Post by Lily »

I mentioned some frustration in an unrelated thread and will elaborate here. But first, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum and keeps it running. It is a family treasure!
On his birthday in 2006, Ian said: "guys, we have to be considerate of others when we start new threads. a new topic should be about something that would be interesting to discuss, or that would contribute something worthwhile to the rest of us. if we have tons of threads about silly/trivial stuff, it will become very difficult for people to navigate through it all. of course we should have fun, but think about other people, cool?"
Basically, the forum had become extremely difficult for me to navigate. Going through the litany of threads in this entire forum makes me break out into hives. It stresses me out! So I am submitting a proposed reorganization structure with FIVE forums (to replace the current General and Private forums) and the following proposed categories under these forums:

Forum: Genealogy
Categories: General, Maternal, Paternal

Forum: General
Categories: Education/Recreation, Health/Food, Social/Civic, Random/Other

Forum: Gospel
Categories: General Authorities/Talks, News/Announcements, Topics

Forum: The Arts
Categories: Literature, Performing Arts, Visual Arts

Forum: Private
Categories: Family Council, Family Happenings, Celebrations/Holidays

These are not at all set in stone but a framework I built from my somewhat cursory review of current threads. I am willing to help merge and organize threads if I could be granted temporary moderator status for 2 weeks and receive permission to merge threads (with the understanding that I would not delete any content). This is my proposal. And Mom, I further propose that I merge your "Fall 2016" and "Spring 2016" etc threads all into "2016", for example. In the "Family Happenings" category of the "Private" forum. What say all ye?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I actually like it. Would love to hear other thoughts on this. I usually use the website's search engine when I'm deciding where to add a post.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i think we should try to limit the number of topics but not create more forum categories, so we can continue to see all the forums/categories easily on the home page. many of our topics are narrowly-focused and/or unlikely to foster robust discussion. maybe our topics should be broad and ongoing. looking back at our general discussion topics, might make sense to have broader topics going forward, along the lines of lily’s proposed forums categories. for example, topics would be titled “prophets” and “education” and “movies” and “politics.” also, for example, one could start an ongoing topic titled “obituaries” or “deaths” rather than creating a new topic every time someone dies.

many topics are based on talks. maybe we should have a new forum just for “talks,” as we do for “books” and “poetry.” we can consider eliminating the “superheroes” forum. also change the “celebrations” forum to “news” to include current events and aforementioned obits/deaths topic, as well as birthdays, etc. “genealogy” is less-trafficked so no need to split that up. how about this updated forum structure, along with broader ongoing topics:

genealogy
general
talks
books
poetry
videos
news
private
Lily

Changing Categories

Post by Lily »

So, by topic you mean "This Website" as the topic for this thread, yes? Just to clarify. I think books and poetry ("Literature"?) and even videos could be combined into one category. I like the idea of moving celebrations to the private forum, but maybe keep "news" as a category for other current events. Steve pointed out to me that we can title our post within a topic when in editor, which makes me think that all the deaths mentioned could have the person's name and dates as the title of the post, then the content. Am I making sense? haha. I made the title for my post: Changing Categories. In any case, I'm still happy to help merge threads to make this easier to navigate going forward. But I definitely agree: BROAD TOPICS instead of starting a new one with every post.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hmm, this is a good topic. I remember recommending some changes years ago to try to help organize things, so perhaps the time has finally come!

It appears that the software being used allows for forums, sub-forums, and topics. If we only use two forums (public and private), we've possibly squandered one layer of organization, as the forums can be used for the broadest categories to help the topics end up in the right place (pretty important considering the number of topics across the current sub-forums). I like some of the proposed forum categories:

Genealogy (though I would recommend "family history" if we wish to be more comprehensive)
General
Church ("gospel" might be less effective because so many things in life are tied to that)
The Arts (I like this one, because it would pull in literature—books and poetry—music, movies, etc.)
Private

We could then use many of the sub-forums Lily suggests. Talks, a category Ian suggests, could go in Church. Super-heroes could be moved into private, if not eliminated. Birthdays and family news could be sub-forums in the private forum as well (not sure why they're public at present anyway).

Relying solely on broader topics going forward won't help us with the present surplus of topics that exist. I kind of agree with Lily in that we might consider merging some threads and/or renaming some topic titles for a more functional future. Consolidation would make it so much easier (and give hope that things won't get completely out of hand in the years to come).

Otherwise, we could archive some of the dead threads in a series of documents, save them and distribute them to those who want them, and then start fresh(er) with the active/relevant topics we desire going forward.

Just some thoughts. Thanks, Lily, for bringing this up. Lily's on a huntingtonfamily roll! :)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald