Happy Anniversary!!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Happy Anniversary!!

Post by Tuly »

I'm starting a post to honor the wedding anniversary of family members. Today is Bryn and Ann's third anniversary. This quote is from President James Faust - Ensign, May 1993.

In my opinion, members of the Church have the most effective cure for our decaying family life. It is for men, women, and children to honor and respect the divine roles of both fathers and mothers in the home. In so doing, mutual respect and appreciation among the members of the Church will be fostered by the righteousness found there. In this way, the great sealing keys restored by Elijah, spoken of by Malachi, might operate “to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the children to the fathers, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse.” (D&C 110:15; see also Mal. 4:6.)

President Joseph Fielding Smith stated concerning the keys of Elijah: “This sealing power bestowed upon Elijah, is the power which binds husbands and wives, and children to parents for time and eternity. It is the binding power existing in every Gospel ordinance. … It was the mission of Elijah to come, and restore it so that the curse of confusion and disorder would not exist in the kingdom of God.” (Elijah the Prophet and His Mission, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1957, p. 5.) Confusion and disorder are all too common in society, but they must not be permitted to destroy our homes.

Perhaps we regard the power bestowed by Elijah as something associated only with formal ordinances performed in sacred places. But these ordinances become dynamic and productive of good only as they reveal themselves in our daily lives. Malachi said that the power of Elijah would turn the hearts of the fathers and the children to each other. The heart is the seat of the emotions and a conduit for revelation. (See Mal. 4:5–6.) This sealing power thus reveals itself in family relationships, in attributes and virtues developed in a nurturing environment, and in loving service. These are the cords that bind families together, and the priesthood advances their development. In imperceptible but real ways, the “doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul [and thy home] as the dews from heaven.” (D&C 121:45.)
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: Happy Anniversary!!

Post by Tuly »

I know I'm early, but Ian and Angela's fifth anniversary is this Friday 8/8/08. That is quite a milestone in marriage. Congratulations!! :djparty:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Post by Edward »

In keeping with Mom's early trend, and in order to prevent any possible oversight in the immediate future, I write the following:

Happy Anniversary to MOM AND DAD! 32 years of marraige - by anybody's standards, that's a long time! What a miracle that somehow, in spite of all the trauma, tumult, and trials facing families today, you two have demonstrated the fact that true marital unity can yield greater blessings and happiness than any other institution in this world, save the gospel only. You yourselves are a tremendous testament to the importance and impact marraige can have in our world. In this age, when families are indeed under attack, you have proven your home to be a shelter from the storm and a bulwark against the onslaught. Through your years of dedication and commitment, you have shown that no other relationship can ever hope to be as powerful, productive, or pure as that between a man and a woman bound together in matrimony as Husband and Wife. Our state is caught in the midst of a great conflict, in the face of which you, Mom and Dad, stand together as a light to which now so many look for inspiration and hope. How lucky your children count themselves.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i agree edward, but let me clarify one point. you said "true marital unity can yield greater blessings and happiness than any other institution in this world, save the gospel only." i think it's inaccurate to say the gospel brings greater happiness than marriage. first, i'm not sure that a demarcation can be made between the two. second, nothing yields greater happiness than marriage and parenthood.
“Happiness in marriage and parenthood can exceed a thousand times any other happiness”

- Elder James E. Faust
“The whole aim and purpose of the gospel is to enable men and women—united as one in the Lord—to create for themselves eternal family units in eternity. Celestial marriage prepares us for the greatest joy and happiness known to mortals and for eternal life in the realms ahead."

- Elder Bruce R. McKonkie
“The ultimate purpose of all we teach is to unite parents and children in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that they are happy at home, sealed in an eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of exaltation in the presence of our Heavenly Father”

- Elder Boyd K. Packer
“Honorable, happy, and successful marriage is surely the principal goal of every normal person."

- President Spencer W. Kimall
"There can be no genuine happiness separate and apart from the home, and every effort made to sanctify and preserve its influence is uplifting to those who toil and sacrifice for its establishment...

"Marriage is the preserver of the human race. Without it, the purposes of God would be frustrated; virtue would be destroyed to give place to vice and corruption, and the earth would be void and empty."

- President Joseph F. Smith
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Sorry, I failed to fully distinguish earthly marriages from Celestial temple marriages, the latter which I do believe to be, as you said, not only the greatest joy of all, but synonymous with eternal life. I should have said "true marital unity which has been sealed by the holy priesthood can yield greater blessings and happiness than any other institution in this world" - period. I'm sorry for that oversight. I won't edit it in the interest of remembering the reason for my important correction and addendum.
Angela

Post by Angela »

um.... Happy Anniversary.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

happy anniversary mom and dad!
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Yay! Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!
"There is no other organization that can so completely satisfy our need for belonging and happiness like the family. .. Within the family we experience most of life’s greatest joys. The sights, sounds, and associations of family and home are among our most treasured memories and provide our fondest anticipations.”

Elder Marlin K. Jensen
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you all. "Within the family we experience most of life's greatest joys" amen to that!! 32-years ago your dad nd I went to the Manti Temple on a beautiful fall day. We made sacred covenats in that beautiful temple that I will never forget. Today we went to the Newport Beach Temple on a very hot day (93 degrees) and did sealings, afterwards we went to our favorite Thai restaurant. It's a wonderful life :purebliss:
~~~~~~~

Post by ~~~~~~~ »

YAY! Happy Anniversary!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Welcome Micah!! and thank you. :D
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Third Anniversary!!! - Lily and Steve!!. My favorite moment while Lily and Steve were here visiting, was when we passed the San Diego Temple on our way to the San Diego Zoo, and Steve stopped the conversation we were having and mentioned how he remembers how happy he felt after being sealed to Lily. Jane is truly blessed to have such good parents.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Yay! Happy Anniversary!

:arwenstrider:
Emma

Post by Emma »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :violin: :purebliss: :purebliss: :love: :w00: :date: :inlove: :grouphug: :faramireowyn: :fireworks: :fireworks: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :chewie: :purebliss: :banana: :rofl: :rock: :violin: :violin: :vader: :violin: :violin: :violin: :w00: :teddy: :taz: :date: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :lightning: :party: :chewie: :love: :arwenstrider: :theonering: :theonering: :theonering: :theonering: :theonering: :theonering: :theonering: :fireworks: :fireworks: :date: :date: :teddy: :family: :fireworks: :thegreateye: :w00: :grouphug: :grouphug: :party: :banana: :banana: :banana: :lecture: :rofl: :clap: :clap: :violin: :rock: :chewie: :righton: :righton: :w00: :inlove: :fireworks:
The pants say: Just say no!
Angela

Post by Angela »

Happy 3rd!