Dad - Sonorus

A forum for those with superhuman strength, superior mental power, and other supernatural abilities.
Edward

Dad - Sonorus

Post by Edward »

POWERS
Sonorus can manipulate sound waves, allowing him to create massive sonic booms, throw his voice anywhere in the world, and create a host of unique effects using his voice. He has omni-aural hearing; he can hear events anywhere in the world with perfect clarity, even granting him profound echolocation. He can be to some extent selective in what he hears, although he cannot completely block out all sound without the use of his "sonic shields," which are in effect force fields he generates by forcing all sound waves away from himself.
Last edited by Edward on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Edward

Re: Dad - Sonorus

Post by Edward »

BIO
Wrapped in flowing robes and shrouded in mystery, the enigmatic Sonorus allies himself with The Family, but his true allegiance is uncertain. Sonorus is capable of controlling sound waves to the point that he can do anything it is possible for sound to accomplish. For decades he has honed his abilities, making him a potent master of sonic energy. With years of experience and training, Sonorus has learned to manipulate sound to unleash devastating sonic explosions or create impenetrable sonic shields. His hearing can perceive and comprehend subsonic and supersonic frequencies, and he employs astounding echolocation which gives him a profound capacity to perceive the world around him. Capable of throwing his voice in the most literal sense, Sonorus can project sound to almost any location he wishes, allowing him to be heard without ever being seen, and even controlling who hears him and who does not. His fantastic hearing gives him an omni-audial comprehension of physiological changes in the emotions of others, and it also him hear the electromagnetic pulses of thought, though he cannot actually perceive the thoughts themselves. Seemingly limitless is his frequentic range and his control of volume, and boundless is the reach of his hearing.

Sonorus' voice can reach such massive decibel counts that he could reasonably cause entire regions to go permanently deaf, while his hearing is so sharp that he can hear sounds undetectable by modern science. This also allows him to affect the physical nature of his environment to a limited extent. But while Sonorus can hear anything almost anywhere in the world, he is limited by the speed at which sound travels, and cannot push sound any faster than natural science - though he can slow it down to an extent. Sadly, as a result of his superhuman hearing, his mind is perpetually flooded with the noise and bustle of the world, which he can block out only to a limited extent if he chooses by forcing all sound away from himself, creating what is essentially a soundproof sonic shield. These "sonic sanctuaries" provide him with comfortable relief, although they still cannot entirely prevent his hearing the eternal buzz of life.

Sonorus dwells at the home base of The Family, where he maintains a private study accessible only to him and his beloved Mom-Lady, who keeps it for him. Despite Sonorus' erratic behavior and moods, the two are happily married, and often muse over the gifts and challenges of their extraordinary children and the constant stream of activity emanating from their once quiet home. Never a fan of boisterous activity, Sonorus makes frequent ventures away from the base, seeking solitude elsewhere. His powers allow him to travel inconspicuously, and he masks his skills with a bland speaking voice and an unassuming guise. In truth the world’s most gifted performer, Sonorus keeps his personal life and identity a mystery to his public, and he takes great interest in the affairs of The Family. His incomparable hearing allows him to keep a close check on his children as well, and his whispered counsel is ever-present in their ears.

Despite his considerable skills, Sonorus suffers at times as a result of his prodigious gifts. His hearing forces him to endure the incessant chatter of billions of people at a time, and while he can control how much he hears, he can never fully escape the endless drone of sound which fills his head. Raised voices and noise pollution are insufferable to him, and he has no patience with the chaotic rancor so prevalent in the world around him. Consequently, he finds solace in the sonic sanctuaries he creates with his sound shields, and has become extremely isolated from the rest of mankind. A powerful, but possibly lunatic leader, Sonorus is nonetheless a wise being with a commanding presence, filled with the air of the indomitable music which fills his soul.
Last edited by Edward on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
John

Post by John »

Sonorus has the ability, at a subatomic level, to rearrange the structure of atoms by sonic manipulation using his voice, thus enabling him to transfigure or transmogrify any object or person into another at will. He is unable as yet, however, to produce this effect on himself. He is working toward this goal. One of the companion powers to transfiguration is the ability to mentally subdue and manipulate his subject. The world knows him primarily as a composer, unaware that his compositions contain encoded aural patterns that only he knows how to use. He can also employ his voice to utterly rearrange and recraft sound waves from any other source. He also is gifted (cursed?) with omniaural hearing. This makes him somewhat cranky.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Edward

Post by Edward »

So ... you control sound waves? :dontknow:
John

Post by John »

yup.
I can sonically manipulate subatomic matter, hence rearranging molecular makeup and molecular movement.
Don't argue with me or I'll turn you into a turnip
Edward

Post by Edward »

Wait wait wait ... that's almost a whole different power! Sound is one thing, but rearranging matter - that's an entire different ability. Does sound even have the properties to make such a thing possible?
John

Post by John »

mine does.
John

Post by John »

Sound waves are reverberated ripples of colliding molecules. The patterning of these collisions is some of what I can manipulate with my voice. Just as mere primitive use of certain kinds of waves can shatter glass, I can in much more sophisticated ways perform transfiguration and transmogrification.

I'm feeling cranky.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Um ... I don't know if sound can really do that. You can already create sonic booms and shatter molecules with your voice, but to be able to make a plate turn into a cow is a little bit too much. I mean you're already way powerful, no need to augment that to the point that it becomes a totally different power. Anybody else have any thoughts?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I say give him those powers, since he can not only understand but correctly spell what reverberated ripples and colliding molecules can do. :wink:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Emma

Post by Emma »

#1 Rule: Never question the authority and powers of mom or dad. :wavefinger:
The pants say: Just say no!
Edward

Post by Edward »

:wavefinger: No no no no no. One of the most important stipulations to developing powers is that you've got to be able to provide at least a pseudo-scientific explanation of them that doesn't blatantly defy the most elementary laws. If I control water, then I can't magically use it to read minds. If I can teleport, then that doesn't somehow allow me to create cheese out of stone. It's way too overwrought, and just makes it look like the person is trying to accumulate more than he already has.

Never have I read or heard anything that would suggest that sound waves are actually sonic transmogrifyers that could (if they could only be harnessed!) turn cows into dirt. Your powers, Father, are already in the "extremely powerful" range. Omniaudial hearing, the voice of a god, sonic blast and shield at your every command, the ever present potential for an astronomical singing career - you mean all that still doesn't please you? Good mercy.

Transmorgryfimicaliclezation or whatever the heck it's called is just totally unrelated. I vote it's too much too late. You were once so happy! Now your only thought is on more and more POWER! What's happened to you, my Father? Let us help you, before it's too late!
Last edited by Edward on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emma

Post by Emma »

I vote it's too much too late.
I vote obey or die.
The pants say: Just say no!
Edward

Post by Edward »

Woah there, you just watch yourself! You don't have to power to defeat me, child, so don't demand what you can't enforce!