Valentine's Day!!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Valentine's Day!!

Post by Tuly »

Happy Valentine's Day!! all. This is an interesting piece of info from Wikipedia:
Medieval period and the English Renaissance

Using the language of the law courts for the rituals of courtly love, a "High Court of Love" was established in Paris on Valentine's Day in 1400. The court dealt with love contracts, betrayals, and violence against women. Judges were selected by women on the basis of a poetry reading.[23][24]

The earliest surviving valentine is a fifteenth-century rondeau written by Charles, Duke of Orleans to his "valentined" wife, which commences.

Je suis desja d'amour tanné
Ma tres doulce Valentinée…
(Charles d'Orléans, Rondeau VI, lines 1–2)

At the time, the duke was being held in the Tower of London following his capture at the Battle of Agincourt, 1415.[25]

Valentine's Day is mentioned ruefully by Ophelia in Hamlet (1600-1601):

To-morrow is Saint Valentine's day,
All in the morning betime,
And I a maid at your window,
To be your Valentine.
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes,
And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid
Never departed more.
(William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act IV, Scene 5)
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Re: Valentine's Day!!

Post by Edward »

Je suis desja d'amour tanné
Ma tres doulce Valentinée…
... Which means roughly "I am already tanned (stained, colored) of love/My very sweet Valentine." How precious!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Valentine's Day!!
One of Shakespeare's sonnets.
O call not me to justify the wrong,
That thy unkindness lays upon my heart,
Wound me not with thine eye but with thy tongue,
Use power with power, and slay me not by art,
Tell me thou lov'st elsewhere; but in my sight,
Dear heart forbear to glance thine eye aside,
What need'st thou wound with cunning when thy might
Is more than my o'erpressed defence can bide?
Let me excuse thee, ah my love well knows,
Her pretty looks have been mine enemies,
And therefore from my face she turns my foes,
That they elsewhere might dart their injuries:
Yet do not so, but since I am near slain,
Kill me outright with looks, and rid my pain.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Valentine's Day everybody. This thought is for my Valentine - John -
Time is
Too slow for those who wait,
Too swift for those who fear,
Too long for those who grieve,
Too short for those who rejoice,
But for those who love,
Time is eternity.
by Henry van Dyke
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Be My Valentine all of you!!! :love:
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

margaret

Post by margaret »

LAVEN YOUNSK! Have a happy Valen-time!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :banana: :purebliss: :rotfl: :purebliss: :banana: :rock: :worship:
How long shall i wait before it's too soon? What a vibrant violet...oh no no no no, do not be so shocked- i will be the first to believe in you. Who is that again? Ah, yes...tea time at midnight; you sweet thing! I will always say hello. Farewell!
Lily

Post by Lily »

Peace and love. Peace and love.
Angela

Post by Angela »

happy valentine's day
Last edited by Angela on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Valentine's Day dear family!!! :love:
Angela

Post by Angela »

P1070570.JPG
it's a little tricky to tell, but the jam is in a heart shape.
Lily

Post by Lily »

oh...heart-shaped thumbprints! it doesn't get much better than that!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is from the Washington Post - I find some of her comments tacky but I think I know what she is getting at about "love".
Posted at 09:11 AM ET, 02/14/2013
A Mormon guide to love
By Kathryn Skaggs

Twilight author, Stephanie Meyer, captivates her audience by weaving one single concept throughout her entire series -- the quest for eternal love. As romantic and fantastical as this may be to read, for Meyer, a Mormon, it is more than just mere fantasy--it’s reality – minus, of course, all the vampire action.

The belief that love is eternal is at the very heart of the meaning of love for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It’s the lens through which Mormons view their most personal relationships, serve community and extend their outreach in charitable humanitarian efforts globally.

The source of this eternal love emanates from God; whom individual members enter a covenant relationship to follow His Son, Jesus Christ, and emulate his teachings throughout their lives. With this priority firmly in place, Mormons set off with a desire, instinctively knowing that, “When ye have done it unto one of the least of these…” a spouse, child, friend, neighbor, even a stranger… “Ye have done it unto me.”

In Mormonism, the marriage relationship between a husband and wife is sacred; second only to God. In marriage, Mormons are “sealed” in temples, considered holy and set apart from the world for “time and all eternity” (versus “married” and “until death do you part”). Eternal marriages, or sealings, are performed in LDS temples, they are a necessary ordinance required for exaltation, according to the faith.

Having an eternal perspective adds a unique dimension to marriage for Mormons. The expectation that the marriage is to last into the next life requires a deep level of commitment to living the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in order to overcome the many obstacles and challenges that will inevitably arise. Mormons believe that if they are diligent in keeping the marriage covenant it will continue forever in the presence of God.

The importance of eternal marriage is significant in the Mormon faith. Great emphasis is placed on its preparation from the time children are young. A familiar motto repeated in many member homes, families are forever, gives meaning to the special bonds of love that are developed within the immediate family. This belief also extends to relatives and to those who have passed – thus the special interest in genealogy and temple work in the LDS church -- a true labor of love.

Mormons are romantics at heart. How could they not be when they genuinely believe and live life with an eternal mindset? Interesting note: Mormons believe in an afterlife where families live together throughout eternity, but they also believe that they all lived together before they came to earth; a period referred to as pre-mortality.

A frequent, fun thought among some Mormon couples is the idea that perhaps they knew each other before this life --soul mates if you will; unexplained inklings from the past that make for a deep connection.

The concept of love inside Mormonism is also fundamentally formed by the true essence of eternal love: the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ has made it possible to be forgiven of sin, cleansed through baptism and made worthy to return back into the presence of God. That is love. In return, he has commanded that we are to love him, our brothers and sisters as self, and to forgive one other as we desire to be forgiven. This is the meaning of love in Mormonism and is the motivation behind our love for one another.

Mormons believe that one of the most effective and meaningful ways that they can show love for others is to emulate the love of Jesus Christ, as if he were here, through service. Service is another form of love, and that when one consistently serves, it helps us to develop charity, which is the pure love of Christ. Service is sometimes difficult, not always convenient, and can also be monetary; thus associated with sacrifice.

Ultimately, Mormons cherish their understanding of eternal love and honor their covenant relationship with God, which gives rich and symbolic meaning and purpose to their lives in every way imaginable.

“May we ever watch over one another assisting in times of need. Let us not be critical and judgemental but let us be tolerant, ever emulating the Savior’s example of loving-kindness. In that vein, may we willingly serve one another. May we pray for the inspiration to know of the needs of those around us, and then may we go forward and provide assistance.” -Thomas S. Monson, President, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Valentine's Day !! This poem deserves repeating at this date.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

from Sonnets from the Portuguese

XLIII

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men might strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,–I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!–and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
John

Post by John »

Happy Valentine's Day
Custom, whose laws we all allow,
And bow before his shrine,
Has so ordained, my friend, that you
Are now my Valentine.

Ah, could my humble Muse aspire
To catch the flame divine!
These are the gifts that I’d require
For thee, my Valentine!