Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Re: Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Post by Tuly »

September 1st is our deadline to share some of the books you read this past summer. Also I would love some input on the grandchildren summer reading incentive.
I read for the second time - Little Britches by Ralph Moody. It is Moody's autobiography and the first book of a series. Ralph Moody can be considered the "Laura Ingalls Wilder" for boys. I recommend this book highly. Here is a little about Ralph Moody from this website.

https://www.littletongov.org/index.aspx?page=319

If the book Little Britches means anything to you, then you know something of the life of Ralph Moody and also something of the history of Littleton. His recollections of his childhood during the early years of the 20th century in this vicinity capture the flavor of the farming community of Littleton between 1906 and 1912.

Ralph Owen Moody was born on December 16, 1898, in East Rochester, NH, the second of six children of Charles and Mary Moody. The family moved to Colorado in 1906, hoping that the state's dry climate would be a cure for the father's tuberculosis. They had purchased, sight unseen, a ranch west of the cavalry post at Fort Logan, at the southwest corner of Harlan Street and Hampden Avenue. The farmhouse was in such bad condition that Charles and Ralph spent many days scavenging for materials and fixing it up while the family lived in a Denver hotel. On the day the family took the "Uncle Sam" train to their new home, their two horses had been frightened away by coyotes and become entangled on a railway trestle. Thus began the adventures and life lessons that Ralph would recall more than forty years later.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
John

Post by John »

just finished Alison Weir's "Mary, Queen of Scots". fantastic and compelling, as usual with this writer. also read "Comet in Moominland" by Tove Jansson. not bad. but i'm not overly impressed, despite the critical fawning, especially from "Saturday Review."
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I read. Letters to a Young Mormon by Adam S. Miller. Brother Miller writes these advice letters to his children. Miller published his book by the Neal A. Maxwell Institute . Miller addresses many subjects (agency, work, sin, faith, scripture, prayer, history, science, hunger, sex, temples, eternal life) some advice on these subjects I agree with. Some thoughts that I would not advice to any one.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

It's June, so I'm starting our summer reading club - I finished reading - Today Matters - 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrows Success by John C. Maxwell. Pretty good self-help book to make the most of today - His 12 steps, I'm sure most of you have heard about sometime in your life. Instead of Covey's 7 steps. Maxwell has 12 steps.
This is from Maxwell's book.
Most of us look at our days in the wrong way: We exaggerate yesterday. We overestimate tomorrow. We underestimate today. The truth is that the most important day you will ever experience is today. Today is the key to your success. Maxwell offers 12 decisions and disciplines-he calls it his daily dozen-that can be learned and mastered by any person to achieve success.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have been reading too many books at the same time. I did finish Freddy the Detective by Walter R. Brooks. This is a great chapter book for children. This is also part of the Freddy the pig series published between 1927-1958.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I know you are all reading something. Whether its a cookbook, General Conference talk, something...please share what and post and inspire us to read more and often. Just finished reading
The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander - the first book of The Chronicles of Prydain - you could read it online. Great story a lot like Lord of The Rings, but for a younger group. I read The High King first which is the fifth book of the series. Not a good idea to do, even if it won the Newbery medal award. Read them in order.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Remember this thread? I just finished reading The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain. It is a humorous book by Twain. I remember seeing a reader's theater version of this book at BYU many moons ago, and enjoyed it back then also.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This being the end of August, these are the books I read the last few weeks.

1. Letters to a Young Mormon by Adam S. Miller - A father writes to his child about things he understands about the LDS church. Some good advice, some not so great.

2. The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery - Romantic yarn by the author of Ann of Green Gables.

3. Whatever You Are, Be a Good One: 100 Inspirational Quotes Hand Lettered by Lisa Congdon - Lovely book.

4. 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live by the Spirit by Richard G. Scott - I very much appreciated this book of truths. Last book Elder Scott wrote.
James

Post by James »

Delirious New York by Rem Koolhaas

El Libro De Mormon
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

It's that fun time again. I'm posting Edward's suggested reading list - it is pretty good.
Edward’s Reading Picks May 2017

The novel of the century : the extraordinary adventure of Les Misérables, by David Bellos
A delightful wealth of history both personal and historical about both the great French Novel and the man who wrote it. Lively paced and thoroughly enjoyable.

Castles : their history and evolution in medieval Britain, by Marc Morris.
A fascinating overview of the rise and decline of castle-building in England told through multiple portraits of places and people over the centuries, a structure which keeps it accessible and often charmingly witty as well.

Turn Right at Machu Picchu, by Mark Adams
A warm, humorous, and thought-provoking account that weaves in the narratives of both an early 20th century explorer and an early 21st century writer whose worlds intersect at the ancient and mysterious ruins of the Lost City of the Incas.

Meet Me In Atlantis, By Mark Adams
A humorous but compelling account of a writer whose curiosity about the mythical city of Atlantic leads him on an adventure full of delightful characters, mysterious theories, and a quest to understand the power of mythology in a scientific world

The Long Weekend, by Adrian Tinniswood
A graceful narrative detailing the changes which swept through the country lifestyle of the British aristocracy between the two World Wars, told through entertaining and often poignant vignettes drawn from first-hand accounts from the period

The Great Bridge, by David McCullough
A powerful, sometimes breathtaking history of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, a narrative rich enough to give life again to the people who lived, and died, to create one of the greatest feats of engineering in history. Always engrossing, often even heartbreaking, this book is a masterpiece of both historical literature and mesmerizing storytelling.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I did read - Turn Right at Machu Picchu - and loved it. I just finished reading Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson and did not love it but enjoyed the illustrations.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Remember this post? - I just finished reading -Some Writer! The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet - afterword by Martha White. This is a lovely book. As some of you might know E.B. White -( Elwyn Brooks White known by his family as En, and called Andy by his friends) - wrote Stuart Little , Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan, plus many articles for the New Yorker. While living in NY his roommate was James Thurber. This is a good read.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I've been reading the Redwall series for a little while now, And I've really liked them so far.
so far i'm on the 2nd to last book of the series, The sable quean.
Each of the books I've read have been suspenseful, funny, and adventurous. :-D :readthebook: :-D
Darth Vader "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :starwars:
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's a helpful review, Oliver—thank you. I've been meaning to read that series for quite some time, and you make me want to read it soon! :)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Your welcome! :)
Darth Vader "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :starwars: