Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Re: Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Oliver for your review of Redwall - I love that series. I have been enjoying reading some fun books.

1. Saint Joan by George Bernard Shaw - Many of you that I have great admiration for Joan D'Arc, and Shaw from this play also has great admiration for her. From wikipedia-
Saint Joan is a play by George Bernard Shaw about 15th century French military figure Joan of Arc. Premiering in 1923, three years after her canonization by the Roman Catholic Church, the play dramatises what is known of her life based on the substantial records of her trial. Shaw studied the transcripts and decided that the concerned people acted in good faith according to their beliefs.

2. The Korean Cinderella by Shirley Climo, illustrated by Ruth Heller. I enjoyed this version of Cinderella as well as appreciate Ruth Heller's illustrations.

3. Anno's Myterious Multiplying Jar by Masaichiro and Mitsumasa Anno - I have always liked all books done by Mr. Anno - he is the illustrator and author of his books. This is a great book on factorials with lovely illustrations.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I've been reading some "Mary Poppins" books in which Mary Poppins & the children go on fun & quite interesting adventures. :)
the books are very interesting and right now i'm reading "Mary Poppins in the park". :)
I would definitely recommend these, however i do find Mary Poppins's sternness and pride-fullness a little annoying. :disappointed:
:readthebook:
Darth Vader "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :starwars:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I LOVE your reviews Oliver. Some of Mary Poppins mannerisms can be annoying.

I just read -

The Boy on the Wooden Box - How the impossible became possible... on Schindler's list - A Memoir Leon Leyson with Marilyn J. Harran and Elisabeth B. Leyson.
I absolutely loved this book. This is a young adult book -
This, the only memoir published by a former Schindler’s list child, perfectly captures the innocence of a small boy who goes through the unthinkable. Leon Leyson (born Leib Lezjon) was only ten years old when the Nazis invaded Poland and his family was forced to relocate to the Krakow ghetto. With incredible luck, perseverance, and grit, Leyson was able to survive the sadism of the Nazis, including that of the demonic Amon Goeth, commandant of Plaszow, the concentration camp outside Krakow.

Ultimately, it was the generosity and cunning of one man, Oskar Schindler, who saved Leon Leyson’s life, and the lives of his mother, his father, and two of his four siblings, by adding their names to his list of workers in his factory—a list that became world renowned: Schindler’s list.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading B is for Betsy (1939) by Carolyn Haywood. Betsy is entering school - 1st grade - and her adventures are lovely and simple. Haywood is a wonderful prolific writer. This is a chapter book - I would say recommended to everyone age 7 and up .
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Having the time of my life reading some cool books.

1. Lumber Camp Library by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock, illus. by James Bernardin. This is a lovely chapter book, very short. About a young girl named Ruby and her life in 1912, northern hills of Vermont. It is about families, learning and good people.

2. The Dark by Lemony Snicket, illus. by Jon Klassen. This is a story of how Laszlo stops being afraid of the dark. I love this book!!

3. Poppleton by Cynthia Rylant, illus. by Mark Teague. I love Rylant and Teague. Great beginner reader book, the first of a series. Poppleton is a pig that visits the library every week and has a Llama for a neighbor, how can you go wrong in this series?

4. A Poem for Peter by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illus. by Lou Fancher and Steve Johnson. This the story of Ezra Jack Keats and the creation of the book The Snowy Day. Beautiful book.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I have been reading the "Cilla Lee-Jenkins" series by Susan Tan. It's about a girl named Cilla who wants to be an author. She is part chinese so you learn chinese culture. The third book is coming soon and I'm really excited!! :banana: One of my favorite series! :love:
Another book I like is called "The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City" It's about about a girl who's trying to save a runt. The disadvantage is that she lives in an apartment with her big family, and doesn't have that much money. :frown: Really sweet. :-D :readthebook:
"Success is not final; Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston S. Churchill :chewie:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks Jane for your book review. I will check out those books. I'm having a great summer reading -

1. The Blue Hills Meadow by Cynthia Rylant, illus. by Ellen Beier - Beautiful story of the Meadow family in Virginia. Great family story.

2. Schoolhouse in the Woods by Rebecca Caudill, illus. by Decie Merwin - Great chapter book about a large family in days gone by in Kentucky. First book in a series.

3. In Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson - First book in a series of four books. Grandma has a lot funny stories to tell her granddaughter about her childhood.

4. Poppleton in Winter by Cynthia Rylant, illus. by Mark Teague. More adventures with Poppleton in the winter and his fun neighbors.

5. Poppleton and Friends ( book two) by Cynthia Rylant, illus. by Mark Teague. Adventures with Poppleton and his friends Cherry Sue and Hudson.

6. Poppleton Everyday (book three) by Cynthia Rylant, illus. by Mark Teague. Poppleton goes sailing and gets a new bed.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So many books not enough time. Here are a few I read -

1. Jacob T. Marley by R. William Bennett - This is a youth novel on Ebenezer Scrooge's friend Jacob T. Marley. Interesting take on Marley's life. It did remind that Dicken's - A Christmas Carol is a classic for all seasons. Enjoyed the story not the writing.

2. Janey by Charlotte Zolotow, illus. by Ronald Himler. I finally own the hard copy of this book, that always reminds me of Lily's feelings when her friend Jamey (sp?) moved away. Zolotow writes beautifully and sensitively about being sad. I love this book.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I just finished a book last night called "The House That Lou Built" by:Mae Respicio. It's about a girl who likes different kinds of houses and wants to build one. The sad thing is her dad died. :frown: It has some twists. I really like this book! :readthebook:
*HERE'S WHAT THE COVER LOOKS LIKE!*
book review cover.jpg
"Success is not final; Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston S. Churchill :chewie:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Jane for your book review and picture of the book cover. I have to learn to do that and find a way to remember it. I'm reviewing this children's book that is actually a true story.

When Grandma Gatewood Took a Hike by Michelle Houts, illus. by Erica Magnus. Emma Gatewood at 67-years-old decided to take a hike, a two thousand mile hike on the Appalachian Trail. She did this hike twice, the first time she was not as prepared as the second time she did it. She was the first woman to solo hike the Appalachian Trail. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I finished this book called "Snow and Rose", by: Emily Winfield Martin. IT IS MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER!!!!(so far) It is about two sisters who go on adventures in a magical, fairy tale forest. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :readthebook:
Snow-Rose-Emily-Winfield-Martin.jpg
Jane

Post by Jane »

I'm starting to read a series about this teacher who teaches little girls who have very very busy parents. And they go on lots of adventures! It's a lot like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Mary Poppins. :readthebook: :readthebook:
The attachment Book 1.jpg is no longer available
Book 1.jpg
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Jane thank you for posting book reviews. I definitely want to check out that book. I'm starting to read the book - Becoming Madeleine: A Biography of the Author of A Wrinkle in Time by Her Granddaughters.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I just finished Wonder! It's about a kid who has some facial problems and is going to school for the first time. He meets some friends and some foes.
It's really sweet! :readthebook:
Wonder.jpg
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Jane. Sounds like the book is better than the movie . :readthebook: