When Does A Prophet Speak As A Prophet?

All registered users can post here.
Steve

Re: When Does A Prophet Speak As A Prophet?

Post by Steve »

I can truthfully say that never in my life have I seen the time that I was not willing to change my plan of action at the word of command from God’s servants. ...

I know of nothing that I feel is of so great value in life as to be obedient to the counsel and advice of the Lord, and of His servants in this our day. ...

We sing and have done so constantly, “We thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet to guide us in these latter days.” [Hymns, no. 19.]

There are a great many who … put a postscript to that and say: “Provided he guides us to suit our own fancies and our own whims.”

The prophets of God, from Joseph Smith to the present day, have guided us and they have guided us aright, when we have listened to that guidance. The mistakes which have been made have been because of our failure to listen to the prophet whose right it is to guide the people of God. …

I know that the path of safety for the Latter-day Saints is not only to sing, “We thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet, to guide us in these latter days,” but to be ready and willing and anxious to be guided.

(President Heber J. Grant, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Heber J. Grant, Ch. 8: Following Those Whom God Has Chosen to Preside)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

Post by Steve »

There is only one pathway of safety for me in this day and that is to follow those whom the Lord has appointed to lead. I may have my own ideas and opinions, I may set up my own judgment with reference to things, but I know that when my judgment conflicts with the teachings of those that the Lord has given to us to point the way, I should change my course. If I desire salvation I will follow the leaders that our Heavenly Father has given to us, as long as he sustains them. ...

I know that these men [the General Authorities] are servants of the Lord, and I know they are seeking to bless mankind. I hope that not any of you … will fail to sustain them, not only by your faith and prayers but if they are misrepresented and their attitude misrepresented, that you may be willing and anxious to defend them, if need be, because there is a time coming when they will need your defense. The Adversary has not forgotten them, and one of the evidences to me of the divinity of the calling of these men is that evil men speak evil of them, and good men and good women speak well of them.

There are those among us … who have been blinded by the philosophies and foolishness of men. There are those who reject the advice and counsel of the man that God has placed at the head of this Church. …

People who haven’t very much information suddenly come along with a bright idea, and they suggest “this is the way” or “that is the way,” and although it is in conflict with the advice of the Lord some are persuaded to try it. The Lord has given safe advice and appointed the President of his Church to interpret that advice. If we ignore what he advises, as the President of the Church, we may discover that we have made a serious mistake. ...

I stand here to plead with you, my brethren and sisters, not to permit words of criticism or of unkindness to pass your lips about those whom the Lord has called to lead us. Do not be found in the companionship of those who would belittle them or weaken their influence among the children of men. If you do, I can say to you that you will find yourselves in the power of the adversary. You will be influenced by him to go as far as possible from the pathway of truth, and if you do not repent you may find when it is too late that you have lost the “pearl of great price.” Because of your selfishness and your blindness you will have been led away, and your loved ones … will be sorrowing on the other side of the veil because of your weakness and your folly. ...

If the members of this Church who find fault with the leaders of the Church and criticise those who are giving their very lives to bless and benefit us would only pause long enough to ask prayerfully, “Which of these teachers is it safe to follow?” they would have no difficulty in finding their right course and would sustain those whom the Lord sustains.

(President George Albert Smith, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith, Ch. 6: Sustaining Those Whom the Lord Sustains)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

great quotes! thank you.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

You're welcome! This discussion has been very helpful for me.
I think there is one thing which we should have exceedingly clear in our minds. Neither the President of the Church, nor the First Presidency, nor the united voice of the First Presidency and the Twelve will ever lead the Saints astray or send forth counsel to the world that is contrary to the mind and will of the Lord.

(President Joseph Fielding Smith, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Fielding Smith, Ch. 11: Honoring the Priesthood Keys Restored through Joseph Smith)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Until the members of this church have that conviction that they are being led in the right way, and they have a conviction that these men of God are men who are inspired and have been properly appointed by the hand of God, they are not truly converted. ...

I have a consciousness as I have thought through this responsibility [as prophet] and have been close enough to the Brethren over the years, that one in this position is under the constant surveillance of Him in whose service we are. Never would He permit one in this position to lead this church astray. You can be sure of that. ...

So often today when our brethren do speak authoritatively, we have some who rise up to challenge and say, “Now, just where can I find some authority that you can cite for what you are saying?” We are tempted to say, “You go back and read the speech of the present leader of the Church on this subject, and you have all the authority that you should look for, because this is the Lord’s way. His prophet is here, and revelation is just as needed and is just as much in evidence as it has been in any time in any dispensation of the gospel upon the earth.” ...

There will be some things that take patience and faith. You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may contradict your political views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life. But if you listen to these things, as if from the mouth of the Lord Himself, with patience and faith, the promise is that “the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory” (D&C 21:6). ...

If our people want to be safely guided during these [troubled] times of deceit and false rumors, they must follow their leaders and seek for the guidance of the Spirit of the Lord in order to avoid falling prey to clever manipulators who, with cunning sophistry, seek to draw attention and gain a following to serve their own notions and sometimes sinister motives. ...

We sing, “I wish I could have been with Him then, when He took little babes in His arms.” [See “I Think When I Read That Sweet Story,” Children’s Songbook, 56.] A lot of our people would not have accepted Him any more then than they can accept the doctrines that come from the teachers of righteousness inspired by that same Savior. When we cannot accept those who represent Him here, it would not be a bit easier to accept the Master Himself, were He to appear.

(President Harold B. Lee, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Harold B. Lee, Ch. 9: Heeding the True Messenger of Jesus Christ)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Church leaders are not able, each time we teach you, to offer a new or more glamorous route that will lead back to the presence of our Heavenly Father. The route remains the same. Hence, encouragement must often be given concerning the same things and warnings must be repeated. Just because a truth is repeated does not make that truth any less important or true. Indeed, the opposite is true. ...

I can imagine that if the Lord himself were standing on the Mount of Olives and if he were instructing the people, he would say much the same things that have been said and will be said [in our conferences]. ...

When the world has followed prophets, it has moved forward; when it has ignored them, the results have been stagnation, servitude, death. ...

Various excuses have been used over the centuries to dismiss these divine messengers [living prophets]. ... By one means or another, the swiftest method of rejection of the holy prophets has been to find a pretext, however false or absurd, to dismiss the man so that his message could also be dismissed. ...

The holy prophets have not only refused to follow erroneous human trends, but have pointed out these errors. No wonder the response to the prophets has not always been one of indifference. So often the prophets have been rejected because they first rejected the wrong ways of their own society. ...

Those prophets I have known are the most loving of men. It is because of their love and integrity that they cannot modify the Lord’s message merely to make people feel comfortable. They are too kind to be so cruel. I am so grateful that prophets do not crave popularity. ...

How do you teach your children to love the authorities of the Church? If you are constantly saying good things about the branch presidency, the district presidency, the mission presidency, and the Presidency of the Church, your children will grow up to love the brethren.

We pray for the Church leaders. If children all their days in their turn at family prayers and in their secret prayers remember before the Lord the leaders of the Church, they are quite unlikely to ever fall into apostasy. …

The children who pray for the brethren will grow up loving them, speaking well of them, honoring and emulating them. Those who daily hear the leaders of the Church spoken of in prayer in deep affection will more likely believe the sermons and admonitions they will hear. ...

The membership of the Church will always be safe if they follow closely the instructions and admonitions and the leadership of the authorities of the Church. ...

I would not say that those leaders whom the Lord chooses are necessarily the most brilliant, nor the most highly trained, but they are the chosen, and when chosen of the Lord they are his recognized authority, and the people who stay close to them have safety. ...

Let us harken to those we sustain as prophets and seers, as well as the other brethren, as if our eternal life depended upon it, because it does!

(President Spencer W. Kimball, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, Ch. 23: Shepherds of the Flock)
Steve

Post by Steve »

It's a great time to review a talk that was posted to this web site a couple of times over the years:
But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21).

President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had “never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life” (CR, April 1941, p. 123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. ...

Before the ultimate victory of the forces of righteousness, some skirmishes will be lost. Even these, however, must leave a record so that the choices before the people are clear and let others do as they will in the face of prophetic counsel.

(Elder Neal A. Maxwell, Meeting the Challenges of Today, October 10, 1978)
Angela

Post by Angela »

I agree, Steve. This has been a very good read for me as well. It's confirmed what I believe to be true about our beloved prophets.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

It is, perhaps, more comfortable to disregard the Lord's words through His prophets when we can say they're good and true, but not necessarily for us.
You know what would have been really comfortable? Staying in the garden of eden.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: You know what would have been really comfortable? Staying in the garden of eden.
I'm afraid I don't follow. Definitely take the time to read the quotes I've found recently, though. They're really good and speak to a lot of the things we've been discussing.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I'm afraid I don't follow.
Did not expect you to.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: Did not expect you to.
Strange. Then why did you post it?
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

For other people who probably do get it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: For other people who probably do get it.
So you did not expect me to understand you, but there are some who you do. Who do you think understands what you meant by your reference to the Garden of Eden?
Steve

Post by Steve »

It has always been hard to recognize in fallible human beings the authorized servants of God. Paul must have seemed an ordinary man to many. Joseph Smith’s cheerful disposition was seen by some as not fitting their expectations for a prophet of God.

Satan will always work on the Saints of God to undermine their faith in priesthood keys. One way he does it is to point out the humanity of those who hold them. He can in that way weaken our testimony and so cut us loose from the line of keys by which the Lord ties us to Him and can take us and our families home to Him and to our Heavenly Father.

(Elder Henry B. Eyring, Faith and Keys, October 2008 General Conference)