Happy Columbus Day!!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Happy Columbus Day!!

Post by Tuly »

Does any one celebrate this holiday any more?
Columbus Day first became an official state holiday in Colorado in 1905, and became a federal holiday in 1934. But people have celebrated Columbus' voyage since the colonial period. In 1792, New York City and other U.S. cities celebrated the 300th anniversary of his landing in the New World. In 1892, President Benjamin Harrison called upon the people of the United States to celebrate Columbus Day on the 400th anniversary of the event. During the 400-year anniversary in 1892, teachers, preachers, poets and politicians used Columbus Day rituals to teach ideals of patriotism. These patriotic rituals were framed around themes such as support for war, citizenship boundaries, the importance of loyalty to the nation, and celebrating social progress.
Since 1971, the holiday has been fixed to the second Monday in October, coincidentally the same day as Thanksgiving in neighboring Canada (which was fixed to that date in 1959). It is generally observed today by banks, the bond market, the U.S. Postal Service and other federal agencies, most state government offices, and some school districts. Some businesses and stock exchanges remain open, however, and there is a trend among some states and municipalities away from observing the holiday.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Re: Happy Columbus Day!!

Post by Edward »

I was just discussing this with a friend the other day. Unfortunately, modern historical trends tend to favor the vilification of European expansion into the New World, and as the movement's poster child and the true forerunner to all who would follow him, Columbus gets a lot of heat these days for his actions both in the Americas and back in Europe. He's more often than not portrayed as a loot-seeking opportunist, directly or indirectly responsible for almost every ill wrought on the Americas during the colonization periods. He's considered by some to be a racist, a slaver, a charlatan, a scoundrel - the list goes on and on. Sadly, this has led to the decline in his holiday's observance, and more generally to a pessimistic approach to his role in classrooms - he's one of the "bad guys" in many history courses these days. A crying shame I say, and a sad commentary on where modern historical approaches are taking us. Lately it seems that everybody has to have had a dark side.

Now I do recognize that Columbus wasn't exactly a saint either, and that his perception both of himself and of his "conquest" were at times amusing and at times shocking in their warped and self-inflated magnitude. And he really didn't seem to have any clue as to what he was doing, other than claiming lands from people "who did not at all object" (to use a translation of his own words) from his taking of them. Nonetheless, I think that, knowing what we do about the role inspiration played in his efforts and his remarkable willingness to follow promptings that he did not even understand, I think the man earns more credit than we realize. I can't help but think that, while severely misguided and blinded by the perceptions of his age, he was in fact a good man, and I respect him for what he did.

His personal journals are replete with the recognition of divine providence; he was often adamant about the fact that his quest was in fact one to which God had called him, and that every success he enjoyed was in fact a gift from Heaven. He was looked at as fanatical in his own times, and his obsessed devotion to his personal system of belief was at times too much for others to handle; his last years were spent either in exile or incarcerated. Yet to have clung to his purpose for so long under such duress is a feat hardly equalled by other Europeans of the era, and regardless of the light in which history may view him, he was a man of stupendous action and will.

I love Cristobal Colon (that's the name he took upon himself upon his arrival in Spain, as Ferdinand and Isabela would have called him)! :D

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

there was absolutely no traffic this morning, so some people must be celebrating columbus day. columbus day has a special place in my heart because it's always close to my birthday and especially because christopher columbus was a great and inspired man despite all the negative propaganda taught in schools nowadays.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Here is more information on Christoper Columbus and what they ate in their voyage ( this info is from wilstar.com) . I think we will have tuna sandwiches with lentils to celebrate this day!!
On August 2, 1492, Columbus set sail in search of the East Indies. The voyage was financed by Ferdinand and Isabella by making the city of Palos pay back a debt to the crown by providing two of the ships, and by getting Italian financial backing for part of the expenses. The crown had to put up very little money from the treasury. The Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria

Columbus and 90 crewmen boarded the three ships that were to make the first voyage to the New World, the Niña, Pinta, and the flagship, Santa Maria. On October 12, 1492, Columbus first saw the islands of the new world, landing in the Bahamas. Later in the month, he would sail to Cuba, and to Hispaniola (now Haiti). He thought he had reached the East Indies, the islands off Southeast Asia.

Contrary to popular belief, most educated individuals in the 15th century, and especially sailors, already knew that the earth was round. What was not realized by Columbus, however, was just how big a globe it was. Columbus seriously underestimated the size of the planet.

Seaworthy Cuisine

The menu for Spanish seamen consisted of water, vinegar, wine, olive oil, molasses, cheese, honey, raisins, rice, garlic, almonds, sea biscuits, dry legumes such as chickpeas, lentils, beans, salted and barreled sardines, anchovies, dry salt cod and pickled or salted meats (beef and pork), salted flour.

Food, mostly boiled, was served in a large communal wooden bowl. It consisted of poorly cooked meat with bones in it, the sailors attacking it with fervor, picking it with their fingers as they had no forks or spoons. The larger pieces of meat were cut with the knife each sailor carried. Fish was eaten most often. On calm days, the crew would fish and then cook their catch.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I appreciated this quote from President Hinckley's 1992 talk - Building Your Tabernacle - I'm aware of the many other contentions that critics have against Columbus.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... 2?lang=eng
“The entire world is celebrating this month the five hundredth anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus…In my private commemoration of this event, I have read and reread one important and prophetic verse from the Book of Mormon, and also a very long biography of Christopher Columbus.

That verse from Nephi’s vision states: “And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles, who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren, who were in the promised land.” (1 Ne. 13:12.)

We interpret that to refer to Columbus. It is interesting to note that the Spirit of God wrought upon him. After reading that long biography, a Pulitzer winner of forty years ago, titled Admiral of the Ocean Sea—I have no doubt that Christopher Columbus was a man of faith, as well as a man of indomitable determination.

I recognize that in this anniversary year a host of critics have spoken out against him. I do not dispute that there were others who came to this Western Hemisphere before him. But it was he who in faith lighted a lamp to look for a new way to China and who in the process discovered America. His was an awesome undertaking—to sail west across the unknown seas farther than any before him of his generation. He it was who, in spite of the terror of the unknown and the complaints and near mutiny of his crew, sailed on with frequent prayers to the Almighty for guidance. In his reports to the sovereigns of Spain, Columbus repeatedly asserted that his voyage was for the glory of God and the spread of the Christian faith. Properly do we honor him for his unyielding strength in the face of uncertainty and danger.”