The Doctrine and Covenants

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

The Doctrine and Covenants

Post by Tuly »

The complete title of The Doctrine and Covenants is The Doctrine and Covenants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . I have finished reading this wonderful book again. The only times I taught seminary I taught The Doctrine and Covenants. I love the description of this book on the front page.
The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of divine revelations and inspired declarations given for the establishment and regulation of the kingdom of God on the earth in the last days. Although most of the sections are directed to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the messages, warnings, and exhortations are for the benefit of all mankind, and contain an invitation to all people everywhere to hear the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking to them for their temporal well-being and their everlasting salvation.
Most of the revelations in this compilation were received through Joseph Smith, Jun., the first prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Others were issued through some of his successors in the Presidency. (See headings to Sections 135, 136, and 138, and Official Declarations 1 and 2.)
The book of Doctrine and Covenants is one of the standard works of the Church in company with the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Pearl of Great Price. However, the Doctrine and Covenants is unique because it is not a translation of an ancient document, but is of modern origin and was given of God through his chosen prophets for the restoration of his holy work and the establishment of the kingdom of God on the earth in these days. In the revelations one hears the tender but firm voice of the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking anew in the dispensation of the fulness of times; and the work that is initiated herein is preparatory to his second coming, in fulfillment of and in concert with the words of all the holy prophets since the world began.

So my question to all is will The Proclamation to the World be included in The Doctrine and Covenants? and if it is will it be Section 139? or an official declaration 3?

I close with one of my favorite statements from the explanatory statements.

Finally, the testimony that is given of Jesus Christ—his divinity, his majesty, his perfection, his love, and his redeeming power—makes this book of great value to the human family and of more worth than the riches of the whole earth.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Re: The Doctrine and Covenants

Post by Ian »

i don't know, but both official declarations reflect a change in the church. the proclamation on the family doesn't change anything, so it would seem more likely to become section 139, if added.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Re: The Doctrine and Covenants

Post by Tuly »

Enjoyed reading the Doctrine and Covenants this year. One of my favorite scriptures in this book of revelations is -( I'm grateful for the advice given since "as all have not faith".)
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31