Wuzzy Farm

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Huntington Tracy

Wuzzy Farm

Post by Huntington Tracy »

Story time! Something that reminds you of people you love, admire, or respect. (Maybe even someone on this forum.) Or share an anecdote, reminisce, blather, whatever--just so long as it makes you think of someone and smile.

Guidelines (for this thread only):
  1. The point of your post is who it makes you think of and the smile you get writing it. That is the topic.
  2. If reading your post makes someone else smile, that's a bonus. But the point is that you get the point of your post yourself, not that anyone else does. For example, it is acceptable to exult over nasturtiums in general terms and then leave it a mystery who they remind you of and why that makes you smile.
  3. Off-topic, for this particular thread: anything intended to convince, correct, or instruct. (I love being convinced, corrected, and instructed--but this thread isn't about me, it's about you.)
  4. Especially off-topic, for this particular thread: pointing out that a previous post was off-topic. The appropriate response to an off-topic post is something that reminds you how much you like the person who posted.
  5. The appropriate response to an on-topic post is something that reminds you how much you like the person who posted.
  6. Very much on-topic: stories about the wonderful things your children and grandchildren do every day.
  7. If there are two possible ways to read a post in this thread, one of which is on-topic and one of which is off-topic, the on-topic reading is obviously assumed to be the more accurate.
  8. Ultimately, only you will know how on-topic you are. If your own post makes you smile, laugh, think fond thoughts, etc., then that is your reward.
  9. It would be wonderful to have, someplace, a collection of accurate versions of the stories we all know and love. That place is not here. No warranty is made, express or implied, about the historical accuracy of any of the anecdotes here related. The stories may be fiction, for all we know, but we trust that there are warm feelings underlying them which are absolutely genuine.
This raises the question, of course, of whether this first post itself is on-topic. Well, yes it is. But I don't have to explain why. :)
Last edited by Huntington Tracy on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huntington Tracy

visiting Sardinia

Post by Huntington Tracy »

It's always interesting going to a new ward. Besides the people I'm visiting (if I'm visiting someone), the Mormon world is small enough and well-enough connected that I always know I have something or someone in common with everyone, and I'm usually looking for clues to what those connections may be.

Of course the relatively uniform building design--depending on the era the meetinghouse was built, and with a few prominent exceptions--can also give a feeling of instant familiarity, sort of like the strange unstrangeness of visiting a home with the exact floorplan of your best friend's house growing up, so that somehow you know where the bathroom is without having to ask.

The first time we all went to church together on Los Alisos, I was unconsciously aware of some such strange unstrangeness, but it wasn't until well into the meeting that I realized the source of it: It wasn't that I somehow knew my way around, it was that I would know my way around even better with my eyes closed--blindfold me and I could lead you straight to the baptismal font, or tell you which closets wouldn't be locked, all in relation to the position of the nursery. All those people sitting up on the stand and no one even thinks to check under the piano. You never look at a piano the same way again once you've spent enought time huddled all together underneath it in rows, spilling out in clear view (except for the pitch black), poking each other and stifling the laughter for all you're worth.
Cousin Alex Hall

Re: visiting Sardinia

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

You never look at a piano the same way again once you've spent enought time huddled all together underneath it in rows, spilling out in clear view (except for the pitch black), poking each other and stifling the laughter for all you're worth.
Hmm.. playing Sardines? I remember doing that at yon Huntington's church building once in pitch black. That's a great memory, but it may not necessarily involve you and/or cause me to feel Farm Wuzzies about you. However, I hope we may construe this nonetheless to be at least marginally topical.
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Tracy, I would love to hear stories from you about Grandma and Grandpa Huntington, since you are the oldest Huntington cousin, you probably have some wonderful stories to tell and share.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

How many of you knew that I cut off John's eyelashes when he was about a year old (and I was between 5 and a half & 6)? I remember it pretty vividly (tho' not the actual cutting--I think I have a mental block about that); he held amazingly still for the operation, standing up in his crib and smiling at me. He was the most beautiful baby, and his eyelashes were like my grandson Adam's, just fantastically long and curly. I think it was assumed I was jealous because everyone talked about them so much, but what I remember is simply feeling fascinated. I just can't imagine my mother's feelings. I remember her utter shock, and I remember she cried. I know she told me never ever to have scissors anywhere near ANYONE's eyes ever again, and I took it to heart. And yes, John's eyelashes grew back in just as gorgeous (thank heaven).
Last edited by Aunt Betsy on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Un oeuf is enough.
John

Post by John »

per guidelines:
NASTERTIUMS :purebliss:
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
John

Post by John »

Aunt Betsy may have more to say than I on this one, but I still quite frequently have my parents' little rhyme run through my head:

Fussywuzzie was a bear.
Fuzzywuzzie had no hair.
Fuzzywuzzie wasn't fuzzy, was he?!

I still feel sheepish about how old I was before my confusion was swept away, realizing to my utter, but gratefully PRIVATE embarrassment that it was not,

Fuzzywuzzie was a bear.
Fuzzywuzzie had no hair.
Fuzzywuzzie wasn't Fuzzywuzzie.

I had labored for a very long time under that delusion, and perhaps it is because it perplexed me for so long and puzzled me so, that it still plays on
and on and on...

in my teeming brain.

Still, though, it conjures for me fond images of the '50's.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

Ha ha!

No mom, I didn't know that one.
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Speaking of sardines...one my favorite hiding places was when Robert hid in the place one folds those accordion room-separator thingis at church...sheer genious. :clap:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
arxpoetica

Post by arxpoetica »

Tuly, I am flattered at the plattered.

(Plattitudes.)

I too thought that was genuis. HA HA! LOL at myself.

Wait, but I think I'm somehow breaking the rules. Hmm...

Favorites?

I loved listening to Guido (ACH am i spelling his name right?) play the old piano, when I was young, at our old barn house in Orem.
“It is the duty of a Saint of God to gain all the influence he can on this earth, and to use every particle of that influence to do good. If this is not his duty, I do not understand what the duty of man is.” — Brigham Young
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Oh Robert bless your heart. I too have memories of Guido playing the piano, I don't have that opportunity anymore, because of where he and i live. :cry:
Edward

Post by Edward »

Uncle Guido plays piano?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Lily

Post by Lily »

Edward, you make me so sad.
Edward

Post by Edward »

What?!? I know he's an artist, but I've never known he played. I've certainly never been around to see it!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

True, Edward was too young to remember Uncle Guido, when he lived in NY same time as we did. When Guido, Gradma and I attended the first Hispanic branch in Queens, there were no musically trained members except the missionaries. Grandma, was determined to train us musically, so Guido and I started taking piano lessons in Woodhaven Blvd. same street as the Rego Park ward bldg. I took piano for a while till my teacher recommended I start taking voice lessons. So Grandma's dreams came to be when Guido would play the piano and I would conduct the music in Sacrament and eventually the choir at the age of 14 and Guido at the age of 12. Grandma purchased a piano the same one that is in our garage right now - to help us with our music lessons, even though we barily had anything, since Papi Guido had just died when i was 10-years old. Even at BYU Guido was my accompanist for many of my auditions. He is not a great pianist but one could always feel that he LOVED playing the piano. Some of my favorite memories are of me and Uncle Guido working on musical numbers to perform. :cry: