John and Tuly Family History

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Tuly

John and Tuly Family History

Post by Tuly »

I will make an attempt to write some of our favorite family stories that will be preserved in this website.

One of our favorite stories is when we lived in NY from 1980 to 1986 we belonged to the Plainview New York Stake. Around 1982 our whole family was asked to sing at the Saturday session of stake conference. We were asked to sing Families Can Be Together Forever. Ian was 5 years old, Lily was 3 years old and Bryn was just a few months old. We worked hard as a family to learn and perform that hymn. We even went 2 hours early to have the children feel comfortable going to the podium and singing from there. The time came to sing. We came up to the podium our accompanist played the introduction, dad was holding Bryn, Ian saw the congregation and said out loud "no way!" and walked down to sit with grandma and Lily immediately followed. I'm sure if Bryn could walk he would have followed them too. So dad and I ended up singing a duet of Families Can Be Together Forever. There was a visiting general authority who spoke after we sang and said "the best laid plans of mice and men".
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: John and Tuly Family History

Post by Tuly »

Easter is a big deal in our family. From the beginning of our marriage John and I loved preparing for Easter. Of course there was always music involved. We were always involved in some choir preparing with Easter music. Dad started the tradition of sewing new dresses with me when I was first pregnant with Ian. I actually also wore hats. When I was pregnant with Bryn in NY we decided to go after church to fifth avenue to the traditional Easter parade. Fifth avenue was closed off and people would parade their Easter outfits (just like the movie). While we were walking on Fifth Avenue some one said "They must be Mormons or Catholics because they have such a large family" - Wow! at that time as you can tell we barely had three children. Dad also made dresses for all the girls for Easter. Sometimes he would be up till 5:00am finishing the dresses and helping the Easter bunny hide the candy around the house. The tradition of watching The Ten Commandments started when ABC started showing that movie every Easter. The movie later became comic relief for us. Besides The Ten Commandments we would watch Easter Parade and Ben-Hur. We started making the "famous" jello pies early in our marriage since they looked so pretty and we could afford the ingredients. Decorating Easter eggs was also a tradition. It is fun to see that Betsy took egg decorating to a higher level. I don't know how many of you have been given the opportunity to speak in Sacrament meeting on Easter. I know dad has had that opportunity and I remember what a wonderful job he did. I remember also being asked to speak at Easter morning right after Emma was born. That was some challenge preparing that talk and having all the children ready for church and preparing for all our Easter traditions...but we did it.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
John

Re: John and Tuly Family History

Post by John »

From Ian's hand, probably about 1995
ian illustration.jpg
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."