Happy General Conference Week

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Happy General Conference Week

Post by Tuly »

I have always felt that the best way to partake of the blessings of General Conference is to prepare our selves/families for General Conference. This preparation should take place at least a week before General Conference. Besides praying, fasting for our prophet and General Authorities we could possibly attend the temple. I testify that this kind of preparation will enhance and possibly make our General Conference experience into a celebration (To observe (a day or event) with ceremonies of respect, festivity, or rejoicing). I will post quotes till General Conference to help us prepare for this celebration. This is a great talk by Elder Paul V. Johnson - Notice these three blessings by making General Conference a priority in our lives. Elder Johnson is actually quoting Joseph Smith Jr.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... e?lang=eng
Decide now to make general conference a priority in your life. Decide to listen carefully and follow the teachings that are given. Listen to or read the talks more than once to better understand and follow the counsel. By doing these things, the gates of hell will not prevail against you, the powers of darkness will be dispersed from before you, and the heavens will shake for your good.
This website has packets for taking notes of General Conference - These are possible helps not to be considered necessary.

http://www.sugardoodle.net/joomla/
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: Happy General Conference Week

Post by Tuly »

More ideas to prepare for General Conference.
Clearing the family’s schedule is also important to Heather Ann Turner of Utah. Sister Turner remembers that as a missionary in Argentina, she had no choice but to completely clear her schedule in order to participate in general conference. “In two of the areas where I served, the entire ward got on a bus and traveled for two hours to get to a stake center where we could watch conference. These members’ dedication and devotion to the gospel was clear. They saved their money to be able to afford the trip. They took time off work. They packed up their families for two days. They did all of this to turn their hearts toward the prophet and participate in this great semiannual event. That was a powerful lesson to me.”

Now Sister Turner and her husband, Jeremiah, show their family that general conference is a top priority by talking about conference weeks in advance, writing it on the calendar, and working with their children to prepare spiritually.

During Conference

The Turners also make conference memorable by developing family traditions that coincide with general conference. Their favorite is holding a family testimony meeting for family home evening on the Monday following conference. “This gives us an opportunity to reflect on the messages we heard over the weekend and to ponder their meanings for each of us personally,” Sister Turner says. “We learn from and strengthen one another with the added light we gain from general conference.”

The Turner family also suggests creating traditions by turning a favorite food the family enjoys into a special treat served at conference time, or participating between sessions in a family activity, such as playing games, watching old family videos, taking a walk, or talking about the session that just ended.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

From a talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland - An Ensign to the Nations -

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... s?lang=eng

[quote]"Now, these mortal angels who come to this pulpit have, each in his or her own way, sounded “the trump of God.” Every sermon given is always, by definition, both a testimony of love and a warning, even as nature herself will testify with love and a warning in the last days."[/quote][/b]
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

By the way we still have our ongoing General Conference Titles game or if you watched all of General Conference submit some sentence/phrase from each speaker (except Priesthood session) to let us know you heard all of General conference . Please submit them by Tuesday, April 9th.

"Through the media we find analysts analyzing the analysts, almost overwhelming us with opinions and different views. What a comfort it is to know that the Lord keeps a channel of communication open to His children through the prophet. What a blessing it is to know we have a voice we can trust to declare the will of the Lord."

—L. Tom Perry, "Heed the Prophet's Voice", Ensign and Liahona, November 1994
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have posted this before. It is worth repeating.

[quote]General Conferences Are Held for Specific Purposes

Twice each year (April and October) members of the Church have the opportunity to hear the words of the prophets in general conferences of the Church. Elder David O. McKay reviewed the main objectives of Church conferences:

"Reference to the Doctrine and Covenants will disclose the fact that there are four principal purposes of holding conferences of the Church:

"First, to transact current Church business,

"Second, to hear reports and general Church statistics,

"Third, to 'approve of those names which I (the Lord) have appointed, or to disapprove of them [See D&C 124:144].'

"Fourth, to worship the Lord in sincerity and reverence, and to give and to receive encouragement, exhortation, and instruction." (In Conference Report, Oct. 1938, pp. 130-31.)

In a later conference, President McKay commented further on the basic objectives of general conferences of the Church:

"Among the purposes of these general conferences are, in summary, as follows:

"(1) To inform the membership of general conditions — whether the Church is progressing or retrogressing, economically, ecclesiastically, or spiritually. (2) To commend true merit. (3) To express gratitude for divine guidance. (4) To give instruction 'in principles, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel.' (5) To proclaim the restoration, with divine authority to administer in all the ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and to declare, quoting the Apostle Peter, that 'there is none other name under heaven given among men' than Jesus Christ 'whereby we must be saved.' (Acts 4:12.) (6) To admonish and inspire to continue in greater activity." (In Conference Report, Oct. 1954, p. 7.)

Elder Marion G. Romney also stated clearly the purpose for which Church leaders from throughout the world gather to attend general conferences:

"We have come to this conference from many nations of the world — not, however, as representatives of the governments of these nations. We are here representing the leadership of the kingdom of God. This Church is the literal kingdom of God in the earth. We did not come to argue, to jockey for position, to compromise differences and establish policies. We came here to hear and learn the word of God as he has and does now reveal it through his appointed servants, and to take it back and teach it to our people." (In Conference Report, Apr. 1961, p. 117.)[/quote]
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So men folk. Any highlights from General Priesthood Meeting?
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

elder hales: the gap is widening between the church and the world; a young man can begin to live the law of consecration by serving a mission; we should behave like men.
elder callister: all callings are given by revelation; with increased vision comes increased motivation; president lee said "if you want to get revelation, do your homework"; conduct meetings with dignity and warmth.
brother beck: we're called to minister; what does it mean to minister? to take care of others and love others, as the Savior would; mocking and teasing has no place in our quorum meetings.
president uchtdorf: four titles apply to all priesthood holders: 1. sons of Heavenly Father, 2. disciples of Christ, 3. healers of souls, 4. heirs of God/joint heirs with Christ.
president eyring: we're called to gather souls for the Lord; every member a missionary; members need to be united in this effort.
president monson: the four-step formula: 1. search the scriptures w/ diligence, 2. plan your life w/ purpose, 3. teach the truth w/ testimony, 4. serve the Lord w/ love.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Very much looking forward to today's General Women's Conference - Jane gets to go with Lily to conference, how wonderful that is. For all of us who may have questions, this is the time to bring our questions. I love the SEEK -RECEIVE - ACT process for preparing for General Conference. This is from lds.org https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng
Why does preparing for general conference matter? It is a special opportunity we have to learn from living prophets and apostles and to receive personal revelation. What questions and challenges do you need direction and guidance on?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Here are some great helps for General Conference from lds.org. I have never liked "Conference Bingo".

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2015/09/onl ... _&lang=eng