Mr. Rogers

All registered users can post here.
Steve

Re: Mr. Rogers

Post by Steve »

Tuly wrote:So how do we feel about the new Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood?

http://pbskids.org/daniel/
It is pretty awful. I caught part of an episode this morning and it's like watching clip-art from a last-decade Internet banner ad. Image
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

blech. We only watch the old episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. The new stuff stinks.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i think this interview with mr. rogers is fascinating. in a short amount of time he gives a huge amount of instruction. first he admits that he doesn’t watch much television. then he talks about how he explains death to children. he reminds them that there will always be someone there to take care of them. children are scared of death because they are scared that there won’t be anyone there to take care of them. in relation to daycare, it puts a strain on everyone in the family when both parents have to work. his wife was a concert pianist. she took off eleven years to raise their children, but was amazed at how quickly she got back to playing piano. mr. rogers was asked if he would have objected to child care. mr. rogers said “I think that I would have had to have talked pretty seriously with Joanne about it, and it would have had to have been a mutual decision.” his wife decided that she didn’t have to concertize. she wanted those early years with just the kids. mr. rogers then says that the best thing one can do for anybody is to offer one more honest adult in their life. he tells children that there is only one person in the world like them, that there was never anybody like them in the past, and there never will be anybody like them in the future. having grown to adulthood, parents have a second chance at growth by growing with their children. mr. rogers was asked about quality versus quantity of time spent with children. he says “quantity is important.” we can talk about quality all we want, but quantity matters.

Link
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

kids were watching mr. rogers yesterday, and he sang this "everybody's fancy" song. i believe this was non-controversial at the time he wrote it. he seems to understand the importance of gender identity, from a child's perspective.
Everybody's Fancy

Some are fancy on the outside.
Some are fancy on the inside.
Everybody's fancy.
Everybody's fine.
Your body's fancy and so is mine.

Boys are boys from the beginning.
Girls are girls right from the start.
Everybody's fancy.
Everybody's fine.

Only girls can be the mommies.
Only boys can be the daddies.
Everybody's fancy.
Everybody's fine.

I think you're a special person
And I like your ins and outsides.
Everybody's fancy.
Everybody's fine.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
John

Post by John »

:clap:
Bravo to Mr. Rogers for telling the simple obvious truth of the matter.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Steve

Post by Steve »

When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald