Ervin family

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Ian
Site Admin

Ervin family

Post by Ian »

here's another project for someone. our ancestor jeremiah ervin lived in indiana during the mid-1800s. we don't know much about his ancestors yet, but our distant cousin tom ervin has been doing research. apparently when jeremiah ervin was a young boy, he was baptized along with other members of his family, including his mother and three of his four siblings at the time (george, sarah elizabeth and margaret). this seems to have occurred on september 7, 1844. it seems that the three siblings were buried a few months later, before 1845.

we need to find the original parish records and scan the images, so we can upload them to our website. the parish records should provide information about jeremiah ervin's siblings and about his mother's parents. i believe the parish records are available on microfilm at the family history library. alternatively we may be able to get them from the allen county genealogical society of indiana. the records would be from the cathedral of the immaculate conception in fort wayne, allen county, indiana. this cathedral was known earlier as st. mary’s catholic church and st. augustine’s catholic church. the diocese would be fort wayne-south bend. the priest at the time was named julian benoit. the names of our relatives would have been recorded with various spellings, such as "herring" instead of "ervin" and "georgius" instead of "george". for now, the main thing we need is baptisms and burials in 1844.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Re: Ervin family

Post by Edward »

Ian wrote:... and "georgius" instead of "george".

Maybe they spoke Latin. :monkeybanana:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

yes parish records are often in french or latin but sometimes the spellings are just phonetic. i believe this priest was french-born.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

does anyone want to take this project? here are the microfilm numbers: 1503361 and 1503362. i think we'll find what we need at item 4 of each microfilm. i think you can access the microfilms at no charge in salt lake. otherwise you can have them delivered to a local family history center for a fee.
Lily

Post by Lily »

I can try to do it. I've been wanting to take the girls to the new exhibit at the Church History museum, and haven't been to Trader Joes in ages. ;) I'll let you know when I'm able to get up there.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i believe microfilm 1503361, item 4, should contain scanned images of the original baptism records, transcribed below:
fort wayne baptisms.jpg
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i believe microfilm 1503362, item 4, should contain scanned images of the original burial records, transcribed below:
fort wayne burials.jpg
Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm hoping to get up to SLC over the next week or two, but to clarify, should I be going to the Family History Library to get these? When I went up for the Richard Jenkins Davis journal I had to go to the Church History Library, but I'm thinking in this case I'll need to go to the Family History Library (not the Family History Center in the Joseph Smith Memorial Bldg either, you think?) Thanks for the direction!!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

yes, according to the familysearch catalog (here), the location is "family history library." it might not be a bad idea to call ahead to make sure they're "in stock," i've never done work at the main library. i've only ordered microfilm online, and they sent it to the stake center here. i assume they always keep a copy of the microfilm available at the main family history library but i'm not sure. we'll need two microfilms, 1503361 and 1503362. when you get the microfilm, you'll use whatever machine they have to scan the pages we need into digital images on a computer. we'll want high-quality scans. i would bring a thumb drive or something to store the images.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Okay I see...I'll keep you (and apparently, all who read this thread) posted. Thanks!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yay!!thanks for doing this Lily.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

thanks lily for working on this. we're learning more about our bowser ancestors, there is a book that has been microfilmed and is available in the family history library, it's called "Mundwiler family of Tenniken, Kanton Baselland, Switzerland; Buser family of Känderkinden, Bukten, Rümlingen, Häfelfingen, parish Rümlingen, Kanton Baselland, Switzerland; Buser family of Bennwil and Tenniken, Kanton Baselland, Switzerland" compiled by Julius Billeter, microfilm 1045498 item 1. the book might contain information about our bowser ancestors, but it might not. it seems there were several bowsers coming to america from switzerland around the same time, and it's unclear how they relate to each other. our immigrant ancestor seems to have been heinrich bousser, came here around 1733 to 1749.
John

Post by John »

Here is another possibility:
https://archive.org/stream/bowserfamily ... s_djvu.txt

This account speaks of immigrants from the Palatine region coming in 1733.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

yes, i added the information from "the bowser family history" yesterday, hopefully it's reliable. i have seen some criticism of it, particularly of its theory that heinrich immigrated in 1733 with two brothers.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

here's another book to get, this one contains information about sarah ann bowser's maternal line (the sprenkle family), because some of her sprenkle cousins settled in newton county, missouri:

Title: Biographical Sketches of Newton County Families and their Neighbors
Volume: 1
Number of Pages: 224
Publisher: Genealogy Friends of The Library (Neosho/Newton County Library) in Neosho, Missouri
Date Published: 1992
OCLC Number: 25978162