Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Jane

Re: Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Post by Jane »

I just finished the book Hobbit! It's where this hobbit named Bilbo goes on an adventure! :readthebook:
Hobbit.jpg
"Success is not final; Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston S. Churchill :chewie:
Jane

Post by Jane »

I just finished the third Cilla-Lee Jenkins book!! (If you look back you can find that I was looking forward to it)
It is where she is going to go to middle school!! Really good!!
"Success is not final; Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston S. Churchill :chewie:
Jane

Post by Jane »

I am reading the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series! I am on the third book! It is about this girl named Penelope Lumley who is a governess to these three children, but there is something off about the children... It is a fun book and quite interesting! :D :readthebook:
Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place.jpg
(the first book is the top right)
(the second book is the top left)
(the third book is the bottom right)
(the fourth book is the bottom left)
(the fifth book is the middle)
(There is one more book in this series!)
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Inspired by my lovely Jane, I have changed the color of my name. Thank you for these book reviews Jane - I will definitely check out those books. I have just read these books.

1. Unbroken Brain - A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addictions by Maia Szalavitz - I am grateful for the insights Szalavitz has on addictions. And like all non-fiction books I read I agree with somethings and disagree with some of her opinions. This is a view of addictions by Szalavitz;

By illustrating what addiction is, and is not, the book illustrates how timing, history, family, peers, culture and chemicals come together to create both illness and recovery- and why there is no “addictive personality” or single treatment that works for all.

2. The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For - by David McCullough - I absolutely loved this book - McCullough puts together a collection of brilliant speeches that he gave throughout his life. This book is inspiring and a great read. This is a book about important American history.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So many books to read and so little time. Here are some books I finally finished this is an eclectic list.

1. The Green Ember (The Green Ember Series: Book 1) by S. D. Smith (Author), Zach Franzen (Illustrator) - Not as exciting as the Redwall series but still has a good story line. If you like rabbits defending their families and homes from vicious birds and wolves, this is the book for you.

2. Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska. This is the 1965 Newbery Medal Award Book - This is very well written and I loved understanding the life of bullfighter much more. Short synopsis - Manolo was only three when his father, the great bullfighter Juan Olivar, died. But Juan is never far from Manolo's consciousness -- how could he be, with the entire town of Arcangel waiting for the day Manolo will fulfill his father's legacy?

3. Overcoming Crystal Meth Addiction by Steven J. Lee. Helpful book for a serious problem.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Jane, I finished reading Snow and Rose by Emily Winfield Martin. I loved it! it reminded me of you and your cute sister. Well written, lovely illustrations, great story. Thank you for your recommendation.
Jane

Post by Jane »

:w00: GO SNOW AND ROSE!!
Jane

Post by Jane »

I just finished a book called Twinchantment! It is a newer book, and it is about these two twin girls who live in a magical kingdom. They go on a magical adventure to save their mom's life. It is good, exciting and very dramatic! :readthebook:
Twinchantment.jpg
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks for the recommendation Jane, I gotta check out that book. - Loved these two books

1. Arabel's Raven by Joan Aiken, illustrations by Quentin Blake. I loved this quirky book about Arabel's pet raven - Mortimer. Fun illustrations.

2. Saints: The Standard of Truth by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is an important book for those who question the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (from Joseph Smith's childhood to the saints receiving ordinances in the Nauvoo Temple in 1846). Wonderfully written. This is a great resource book. I loved it. Looking forward to volume 2.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have loved reading so many books lately.

1. Badger's Partings Gifts by Susan Varley - Wonderful children's book on understanding death.

2. Searching the Scriptures - Bringing power to your personal, and family study by Gene R. Cook - Good resource book for help in studying the scriptures.

3. Loretta Mason Potts by Mary Chase - Chase wrote the play Harvey. Quirky, fun book.

4. The Best Old Movies for Families - A guide to watching together by Ty Burr - Steve and I should have written a book like this, nevertheless it's a good basic list of old movies.

5. The Melchizedek Priesthood; Understanding the Doctrine, Living the Principles by Dale G. Renlund and Ruth Lybbert Renlund - I appreciated a clear understanding of the Melchizedek priesthood.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I have read a lot of books since my last recommendation. Here are some of them. . .

LITTLE WOMEN BY: LUISA MAY ALCOTT
THE UNLIKELY STORY OF A PIG IN THE CITY BY: JODI KENDALL
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD BY: HARPER LEE
& FISH IN A TREE BY: LYNDA MULLALY HUNT

All of these books are really good! :readthebook:
Jane

Post by Jane »

It's been a little while, but I have read too many books. So I will just say a couple of my favorites. :mrgreen:

Keeper of the Lost Cities #1, By: Shannon Messenger
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, By: Avi
Strange Birds: A Guide to Ruffling Feathers, By: Celia C. Perez
Eventown, By:Cory Ann Haydu
& The Last Tree Town, By: Beth Turley

Even these books I read a while ago, but they're good! :wink:
Jane

Post by Jane »

I just finished a super super good book called Midsummer's Mayhem, By: Rajani LaRocca it is sooo amazing and I love it. It's about a girl who likes to bake and a new cafe opens in town, but it's a little sketchy. . . It's a good realistic fiction with a hint of fiction. It also has some illustrations that are wonderful! Definitely a favorite! :clap:
51kzKji1CEL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Jane

Post by Jane »

I just finished Anne Frank's diary for school. It was very interesting since it was from someone who was actually in WWII.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Hey I haven't been here in forever but I'd like to post this book review I recently wrote for The Island of Dr. Moreau. It's a cute novel.

The Island of Dr. Moreau is a short novel by H. G. Wells. The narrator is a man named Edward Prendick. As the story begins, we learn that Prendick was a victim of a shipwreck. He is eventually rescued and brought to a remote island. On the island he meets Dr. Moreau, a scientist specializing in a practice called vivisection. Vivisection is a type of surgery conducted for experimental purposes, typically on animals, to view their living internal structure. Prendick comes to learn that Dr. Moreau’s experiments are not just for scientific research, but that something mysterious is happening on the island.

This book is a quick read, but worthwhile. This is classic science fiction. We have a mad scientist who has been ostracized by the scientific community because of his unconventional ideas. He flees to an island where he can conduct his crazy experiments without interference. Even though this is a short novel, I think the characters are well-developed. The author creates an ominous feeling as we discover the extent of Dr. Moreau’s madness. I enjoyed reading about Dr. Moreau’s wild creations, even though the details are somewhat grotesque and disturbing. The chilling tone of this novel might be a bit unsettling for some people, but I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in reading a thrilling classic.
:readthebook:
Darth Vader "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :starwars: