Unfortunate LDS Music Stories

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is a funny list. We have all had them in our wards. Some that stand out in my mind.
1. "The Wind Beneath My Wings" played in boombox after a Sacrament talk.
2. An unforgettable version of "I Believe in Christ" sung acapella with the key change after every verse.
3. At a missionary farewell the song from Saturday's Warrior - "Who are these children coming down" sung in true pop style.

http://musiccallings.com/category/ward-music-chairman/ - interesting website.

Posted on July 30, 2011.

sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes embarrassing, always 100% TRUE

Arizona: a man sings Michael Jackson’s, “Man in the Mirror” for a Sacrament Meeting musical number
Idaho: Sacrament Meeting on the 4th of July, Opening Hymn, “God Save the King”
California: for a musical number in Sacrament Meeting a member of the bishopric puts a boombox on the podium and pushes the play button so the congregation can listen to Lee Greenwood’s “Proud to be an American”
California: a girl accompanies herself on the piano while singing into a boom mic a pop-style version of “I Know that My Redeemer Lives”
Utah: in a 2006 Primary Program Presentation in Sacrament Meeting the children go retro singing a Mormon pop favorite from the 80′s
New York: the dress rehearsal for a Stake Christmas Fireside revealed one of the musical selections as “Baby It’s Cold Outside” (The Stake Pres. caught wind and canceled that song in the nick of time)
Utah: a girl sings an emotional “His Hands” by Kenneth Cope (a capella), using dramatic hand gestures, as a part of her testimony during a BYU ward fast and testimony meeting.
Pennsylvania: A woman has the congregation join in with her, swaying and holding their pointer fingers up as they all sing “This Little Light of Mine”
California: a congregation is confused when they can’t reach the notes of a hymn. The organist failed to see that the transposition knob had been turned to sound a 5th higher.
Utah: an over-zealous choir director convinces a struggling ward choir of 12 that they can perform Wilhousky’s “Battle Hymn of the Republic”. The performance left the congregation wishing for ear plugs.
Arizona: an over-populated ward fails to provide hymn books or print hymn text in the programs leaving 50% of it’s members (all those packed in the cultural hall) unable to sing the Sacrament Meeting Hymns each Sunday.
California: an organist leaves town with the key to the organ leaving a congregation without accompaniment for Sacrament Meeting.
Arizona: a woman sings the solo “The Wind Beneath My Wings” in Sacrament Meeting
Utah: July 24th (Pioneer Day), sacrament meeting opening hymn: “Christ the Lord is Risen Today”

Each of these little errors really happened, although I don’t think it’s appropriate to embarrass the wards/stakes so I’ve chosen to keep the exact location/date confidential.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED MUSIC TRAINING.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31