The Last Bookstore

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

The Last Bookstore

Post by Tuly »

This is the biggest bookstore in CA. http://lastbookstorela.com/about/
Dad and I are definitely going to check this LA bookstore. This is from a blog by Brigham Yen.
http://brighamyen.com/2012/06/22/the-la ... wntown-la/
Some may have already forgotten, but The Last Bookstore (now the definite go-to place for purchasing books downtown) started out with a very humble beginning not far from its current location at 5th and Spring in the Spring Arts Tower. Last year, the independent bookstore relocated from a mere 970 square foot space on Main Street (next to Pete’s Cafe) to their current spacious 10,000 square foot space that was once the lobby of the Citizen National Bank in 1915. Now after a year since their relocation, I am told by the store manager, Billy, that business has been picking up so much that more space was needed to stock even more books.

To meet that demand, The Last Bookstore has now annexed the second floor, adding another 10,000 square feet to the store’s existing space and bringing the total to an impressive 20,000 square feet. The new second floor expansion allows the store to carry an additional 100,000+ books. And the best part about it? They’re all priced at $1! Yes, even hardcover books.

What I really love about The Last Bookstore (besides the fact that they sell a great selection of books) is the attention to design details seen throughout the store. Not only is it wonderful for the bookstore to be in a grand historic space with the beautiful columns and ornate ceilings, but the store has also incorporated artistic pieces — usually made from either books or paper — to effectively bring to light the beauty of reading and knowledge. For example, there is a bookcase upstairs that uses books to look like “flying birds” from the shelves, and in my interpretation, represents the liberation gained from knowledge
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31