Great Family Games

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Great Family Games

Post by Tuly »

In honor of Steve and Micah who were born this month and collect games, I am starting this thread. I feel that as far as traditions go in our family - games are an important part of our entertainment. When we started our family dad and I would have friends over and play many "parlor games" like charades, password,personality, manner of the word, dictionary, the minister's cat, etc. When you children were small we started playing board and card games like Monopoly, Clue, Life, Chinese Checkers, Uno, Rook, etc. It has been fun to see our next generation enjoy games too. We enjoy other games like Apples to Apples, Set, and other new fun games. So what other games can you all recommend that I might have overlooked or are not aware of?!
:djparty:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Angela

Re: Great Family Games

Post by Angela »

I don't like Apples to Apples because there are a number of cards with innuendo. Not cool. Also, the kids like Outburst, but that had quite a lot of bad categories so Ian and I censored/threw away a bunch of the cards.

We like parlor games a lot and also these boards games that mom listed - Monopoly, Clue, Checkers, Chinese Checkers and Uno. We haven't tried Life but maybe one day, I don't recall playing it so I don't really know if it's worth it.
These are some other games we like to play:

Risk
Zingo
Quips
No Peeking
Pictionary
Manner Beans
I can do that!
Battleship
Steve

Post by Steve »

There are a lot of really fun board games, but here are a few of my favorite games to play with children:

Cardline: Animals (or any from this series)
Coconuts
Der Verzauberte Turm (The Enchanted Tower)
Fluch der Mumie (Pyramid)
Monza
Richard Scarry's Busytown: Eye Found It!
Takenoko
Taupes et Compagnie (Moles & Company)
The Builders: Middle Ages
Tumblin' Dice
Verflixxt Kompakt (That's Life: Compact)
Viva Topo!

Other personal favorites:
Amerigo
Balloon Cup
Baseball Highlights 2045
Biblios
Castles of Burgundy
Coloretto
Crokinole
Cubist
Finca
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Heartland
Love Letter
Oodles
Pandemic: The Cure
Rise of Augustus
Seeland
Splendor
Stone Age
Thurn and Taxis
Trajan

As you can tell, games are my one weakness.

When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

don't forget chess, and the boys often play dixit, as well.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Apples to Apples, Curses, and Imagine If are three of my faves. I have always wanted to learn how to play Parchesee too just because it is such a funny word to say and write. In fact I may have misspelled it. And if so, well, alas.

Oh and Speed Monopoly is really fun, as are Set and the French driving game whose name I can't remember, lol.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Edward wrote:...and the French driving game whose name I can't remember, lol.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald