The Book of Mormon

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

The Book of Mormon

Post by Tuly »

I would love to start this thread for many reasons. The first one was the question how often families should read The Book of Mormon. I know we should read the scriptures daily but what about cycling the other scriptures? I found this talk by President Benson - on the November 1988 Ensign - Flooding the Earth with the Book of Mormon
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideN ... 82620aRCRD

At present, the Book of Mormon is studied in our Sunday School and seminary classes every fourth year. This four-year pattern, however, must not be followed by Church members in their personal and family study. We need to read daily from the pages of the book that will get a man “nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (History of the Church, 4:461.)

And when we are called upon to study or teach other scriptures, we need to strengthen that undertaking by frequent reference to the additional insights which The Book of Mormon may provide on the subject (see 1 Ne. 13:40, 2 Ne. 3:12).

The other reason to start this thread is because March 31st the Orange County Mormon Choral Organization is premiering a new oratorio Messiah in America with text taken from The Book of Mormon. Again I quote President Benson.

I have a vision of artists putting into film, drama, literature, music, and paintings great themes and great characters from the Book of Mormon.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: The Book of Mormon

Post by Tuly »

I finished reading The Book of Mormon yesterday. I hope you are all taking the challenge that Dad and I gave you last year to read this wonderful book. These last verses in Moroni 10 touched me.
27 And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust?
28 I declare these things unto the fulfilling of the prophecies. And behold, they shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the everlasting God; and his word shall hiss forth from generation to generation.
29 And God shall show unto you, that that which I have written is true.

I know that the words in The Book of Mormon are true. I have no doubt about it. I also know that the only way I can remember those words is by reading this book over and over. So I continue my quest again. I also want His word to "hiss forth from generation to generation" in our family.

"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I just finished reading Third Nephi and was thinking about the three Nephites. I came upon this website about church folklore. This is the website:
http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/23621/
Q:

Dear 100 Hour Board,

Has any General Authorities claimed to have seen or met any of the three Nephites?

Skysee
A: Dear Skysee,

I couldn't find anything about recent GAs seeing the three Nephites; since these stories have passed firmly into the realm of Mormon folklore, it would probably behoove authority figures to keep mum on such a topic, lest they inadvertently either feed or destroy such a fruitful folklore. Basically, stories of the three Nephites are now permanently tainted with the label "folklore," and as such aren't particularly convincing faith-promoting rumors for many. It would be all to easy for skeptics to discount even three Nephites stories from General Authorities on these grounds.

(Anyone who has done better research may feel free to call me on this one. Proving the inexistence of evidence is much tricker than proving the existence of evidence.)

However, I did find several sources attesting to the belief of past prophets and GAs in the three Nephites. I'll quote a few of those accounts here.

First, a story from an early pioneer, Zina Diantha Huntington.

When Zina Diantha was eleven, the Huntington family received an unusual visitor. They treated it as a significant occurrence, but the experience assumed heightened importance when the family joined the Mormons and heard the mysterious story of the Three Nephites, ancient Americans promised by a resurrected Jesus they would live until the Second Coming. As told by Zina Diantha's daughter, Zina Young Card, the visit occurred on a cold November evening in 1832. The family had gathered for their customary scripture study followed by a musical evening with Zina Diantha playing the cello. After they had finished a piece of music, they heard a knock at the door and opened it to a man of medium height, dressed in old-fashioned clothing, and carrying a bundle under his arm. He stepped into the room and inquired, "I usually bend my steps to some sequestered vale. May I find lodging here tonight?" They pulled up a chair for him, served him some supper, and read with him a section from the New Testament. Zina Baker commented wistfully that they would like to "hear the Gospel in its fullness as explained by the Saviour. The stranger immediately took up the subject and began explaining the scriptures and quoting the sayings of the Saviour. It seemed to them that his words held a new light and were clearer than they had ever thought of before. The stranger filled them with awe and reverence, such as they had never before felt." He left the next morning.

A few years later, when Joseph Smith spoke to a group of Latter-day Saints about the Three Nephites, William recounted this visit. Joseph laid his hand on William's shoulder and said, "My dear brother, that man was one of the Three Nephites who was sent by the Lord to prepare your family to receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ."

Second, in case you need more proof about Joseph Smith, a short excerpt from the writings of Daniel H. Ludlow:

In the 1820s the Three Nephites appeared quite regularly to the Prophet Joseph Smith...

And just a little more about Joseph Smith, from the journals of Oliver B. Huntington:

While "the camp of Zion" was on the way to Missouri in 1834 Joseph was some ways ahead of the company one day, when there was seen talking with him by the roadside a man, a stranger. When the company came up there was no person with him. When at camp that night, Heber asked the Prophet who that man was; Joseph replied it was the beloved Disciple, John, who was then on his way to the ten tribes in the north.

I have heard Joseph say that "John was among the ten tribes beyond the north pole."

The matter relating to the Three Nephites was this.

The morning that the Army of Governor Boggs' exterminating order, attempted to come into Far West; Joseph the Prophet stood with the brethren behind the breast works so hastily thrown up in the night, and remarked as they were sweeping and swarming towards the beloved city; that if they came beyond a certain place, we would upon fire upon them.

The army on, near the spot designated and on a sudden, they all turned and ran pell mell back to their camp, in great fright, declaring they saw too many thousands of soldiers to think of attacking the city.

Joseph told Brother James Bird, "that he saw between them and the mob one of the Three Nephites, with a drawn sword, before he made the remark about opening fire upon them, and when the mob had returned he saw the Three Nephites near the same place armed for battle."

The hosts that the three had with them, were undoubtedly exposed, by the power of God, to the view of the mob, being the hosts of soldiers they saw and fled from.

It's pretty clear that Joseph Smith was willing to relate stories about witnessing the three Nephites.
Lily

Post by Lily »

To clarify, the 100 hour board on BYU's website is not dedicated wholly to church folklore, but tries to answer various questions submitted by students.

Interesting though, Mom.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have just finished reading The Book of Mormon in the format that Joseph Smith Jr. translated it, in other words it is written in very few chapters and no verses. I think I read it faster than usual because it was like reading a story...a wonderful true story. I love The Book of Mormon.
Moroni 7:48
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Dad and I just finished reading The Book of Mormon as a family this past Sunday 2/26/12 . I love that book so very much. I would love to hear when you or your families have finished reading The Book of Mormon and your thoughts.
Moroni 10:32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

In my personal reading of the Book of Mormon I came across - Alma 28:1
1 And now it came to pass that after the people of Ammon were established in the land of Jershon, and a church also established in the land of Jershon, and the armies of the Nephites were set round about the land of Jershon, yea, in all the borders round about the land of Zarahemla; behold the armies of the Lamanites had followed their brethren into the wilderness.
I had forgotten that the Lamanites followed the Anti-Nephi-Lehi and then had a huge war with the Nephites who were protecting then. -
2 And thus there was a tremendous battle; yea, even such an one as never had been known among all the people in the land from the time Lehi left Jerusalem; yea, and tens of thousands of the Lamanites were slain and scattered abroad.

3 Yea, and also there was a tremendous slaughter among the people of Nephi; nevertheless, the Lamanites were driven and scattered, and the people of Nephi returned again to their land.
This reminds me of some of the negative friends that my children have or had. They keep following you even though you might want nothing to do with them. They still follow you. And who fights the war with these intruders? the people who are usually protecting you... your parents/family.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is a link to - "Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture, a nonprofit, independent, peer-reviewed educational journal focused on the scriptures of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its publications are available free of charge, with our goal to increase understanding of scripture."

http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I forgot to mention that I finished reading The Book of Mormon December 30th, 2012. I'm currently still reading El Libro de Mormon and started reading The Book of Mormon again. My life is filled with peace and joy.
"May the Lord bless each one of us to follow the counsel of our prophets. We need to have family and personal prayers; study the scriptures, particularly the Book of Mormon; hold family home evenings; follow the admonition of the Savior to love one another; and be thoughtful, kind, and gentle within the family. Through these and other similar small and simple things, we have the promise that our lives will be filled with peace and joy."

—M. Russell Ballard, "Small and Simple Things", Liahona and Ensign, May 1990
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Dad and I finished The Book of Mormon yesterday. I love the last scripture in The Book of Mormon.
Moroni 10:34
34 And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I finished reading El Libro de Mormon and testify that the words in this book are true. My Libro de Mormon has traveled to Peru and Israel. I love and am so grateful for The Book of Mormon and El Libro de Mormon. I will start reading it again.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yesterday, I finished reading The Book of Mormon in Spanish. I have loved reading The Book of Mormon in Spanish and have restarted reading it again in Spanish. Dad and I read The Book of Mormon in English daily. This quote By Marion G. Romney is one of my favorites on the promises of reading The Book of Mormon and is quoted often. It comes from a Conference talk given April 1960.

http://gospelink.com/library/document/48906
And so, I counsel you, my beloved brothers and sisters and friends everywhere, to make reading in the Book of Mormon a few minutes each day a lifelong practice. All of us need continuing close contact with the Spirit of the Lord. We need to take the Holy Spirit for our guide that we be not deceived. I am persuaded by my own experience and that of my loved ones, as well as by the statement of the Prophet Joseph Smith, that one can get and keep closer to the Lord by reading the Book of Mormon than by reading any other book. Don't be content with what someone else says about what is in it. Drink deeply from the divine fountain itself.

I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase, mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to that counsel. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.