Transgender Bathroom Policy

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Transgender Bathroom Policy

Post by Tuly »

This decision only brings sadness to me. This is the letter spoken of;
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/o ... 206c49e4dc
4. Privacy and Education Records
Protecting transgender students’ privacy is critical to ensuring they are treated consistent with their
gender identity. The Departments may find a Title IX violation when a school limits students’ educational
rights or opportunities by failing to take reasonable steps to protect students’ privacy related to their
transgender status, including their birth name or sex assigned at birth.25 Nonconsensual disclosure of
personally identifiable information (PII), such as a student’s birth name or sex assigned at birth, could be
harmful to or invade the privacy of transgender students and may also violate the Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).26 A school may maintain records with this information, but such records
should be kept confidential.
I appreciated this essay.https://snt153.mail.live.com/?tid=cm1LJ ... id=flinbox
States Challenge Administration's Shower and Restroom Policy
by William C. Duncan

SukBathroomTitleIX690.jpgAs surely all readers now know, on May 13, 2016, a letter was sent to school officials across the nation, jointly authored by officials in the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) and the Department of Justice. The letter provided “guidance” to about how they should treat students of one sex who desire to present themselves as members of the opposite sex at school.

Although the letter covers a wide range of issues, the attention paid to it focuses on the guidance the government officials gave regarding restroom and locker room policies, and the way schools should deal with concerns from parents about school policies on these issues.

A letter like this is important because despite the collegial way it is packaged (the letters are referred to as “dear colleague” letters), schools know that the guidance has legal implications for them. In fact, this letter specifically cites the possibility that schools could lose federal funding (i.e. money from taxpayers who support the schools) if they do not comply.

History and Context

TitleIX.jpegTo understand, some context is helpful. In 1972, Congress passed a statute, Title IX, prohibiting sex discrimination in education. It specifically allowed, however, for schools to continue to have sex segregated facilities like locker rooms and restrooms, for obvious reasons of privacy and safety.

Now, in the last few years, officials in some government agencies have begun to propose that when federal law refers to sex discrimination, it really also means any distinction based on newer concepts like sexual orientation and gender identity (the belief that a person can be born male or female but in their essence actually be the other sex). Government officials have tried, with mixed success to persuade courts to accept these interpretations.

This is significant because these government agencies are charged with enforcing federal discrimination statutes. So, a decade or so ago, the agencies would have to tell someone who complained about what they thought was unfair treatment because of their gender identity, that the agencies could not help them since the law only covered sex discrimination, understood as treating men or women as a group worse because of bias against either sex. When the agencies reinterpreted the prohibitions on sex discrimination, the authority of the agencies necessarily increased.

Title IX is one of those statutes. It applies to schools that receive even a slight amount of taxpayer support.

What Checks are Possible on the Authority of Government Agencies?

The only checks on the agencies’ authority to reinterpret the law in this way are (1) Congress specifying that the law does not mean what they say or (2) federal courts ruling the interpretation is too far afield of what Congress initially intended in writing the statute.

The second check is most common, but often ineffectual, since the courts tend to defer to the agencies’ interpretations. This was true in a recent case in Virginia where OCR insisted a school go along with a student’s desire to use the restroom and locker room of the opposite sex because the student now identified as a member of that sex. Perhaps having that court accept its authority to issue the new interpretation emboldened OCR and the Department of Justice to issue its new policy.

The New Policy According to the “Dear Colleague Letter”

Schoolcoridor.jpgThe policy tells schools what the OCR requires them to do to avoid being found guilty when a student files a complaint of gender identity discrimination. Among other things, they must allow a student to use the restroom or locker room of the opposite sex if the student identifies themselves as a member of the other sex.

The directive specifically precludes the school considering whether the student has a medical diagnosis or treatment. It also specifically tells schools they must not consider concerns of parents or of other students. In the past some schools have tried to accommodate the student by providing a single user facility, since this would not require the student to use a restroom they felt inconsistent with their identity and could protect the privacy of students who were hesitant to share a shower with a person of the opposite-sex. The directive says this option is not legally allowed.

In sum, the administration has advanced an extreme, ideologically-driven policy that precludes input from those affected and specifically forbids efforts to accommodate all of those affected by the policy. This no-compromise policy is exactly the wrong way to alleviate concerns and allow schools to come up with solutions that protect the dignity, safety and privacy of all students.

For that reason, thirteen states have filed suit challenging the agency’s novel interpretation of Title IX. They point out that in making a rule of this significance, basic procedural safeguards should have been, but were not, followed and the resulting rule is beyond the authority of OCR to create. This attempt to prevent a massive rewriting of a forty-year-old statute without Congressional oversight is a welcome development.

Most importantly, it will allow states and local school districts to consider all points of view and work for mutual accommodations which will provide for everyone's physical needs while protecting privacy and safety for all.
I'm not sure where all my children stand in this issue - my hope and pleads would be that we do not agree with this forced policy that will affect all our schools, I believe also private schools. Our neighboring junior high has seen the effects of that policy and I will tell you it is very difficult for the students who have to accept this policy of "Mary" deciding to be "Luke" and now being permitted to go to the boys lockers and change their clothing. Yes it is hard for "Luke" too, nevertheless this policy should not penalize all students.
Last edited by Tuly on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Re: "Dear Colleague Letter"

Post by Steve »

It seems inconsistent that accommodations should be made to help one student feel comfortable while not accommodating other students who are made uncomfortable by the first accommodation. What's more, this seems to present the slipperiest of slopes and blurs the lines of defined social reality, as our existence becomes merely the collected internal consciousness of the population rather than what it really is. How can we possibly navigate these intangible and unintelligible paths as they're constructed on every side?
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

(Ephesians 4:11-14)
What do others think about these issues?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
John

Re: "Dear Colleague Letter"

Post by John »

In light of revealed truth and especially the "Proclamation to the World" and bearing no malice to those who disagree, I see no reasonable justification for a policy that gives license to any one to enter any public bathroom or shower or locker room. Reason dictates that this is a policy rife with potential to harm the majority - especially children - at the presumed benefit to a very small minority. And even if the number of those in favor were to rise to a level of majority it is simply wrong. I believe that there is such a thing as right and wrong and that this policy, which has now been instituted and is being enforced at the Junior High School a block away from us, is wrong. Young 12 and 13 year old boys are being expected to emotionally process the presence of a girl changing and showering in their locker room. Does her confusion trump theirs?

I believe that divine truth stands independent of public opinion, but do not deny anyone the right to their opinion regarding their view of divine truth.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Tuly

Re: Transgender Bathroom Policy

Post by Tuly »

I changed the title of this thread for the fact that it is misleading to what the concern is. As sensitive as my concern is for those who have problems with sex identity my concern is that our children and youth will witness this confusement and cause personal confusement. Children and youth are at vulnerable stages of their lives and when the government adds one more insecurity to their lives it affects their emotional stability. I oppose Obama's decision to force schools to support this new education policy.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

schools should maintain separate facilities for male and female students. i’m referring specifically to bathrooms, locker rooms, shower facilities, sleeping facilities, or any other facilities in which students remove clothes. the reason for separating these facilities is to protect the safety, privacy and dignity of as many students as possible.

the obama administration mandated that while schools may provide separate facilities on the basis of gender, they must also allow "transgender" students access to such facilities consistent with their “gender identity.” in other words, at any given moment, any student may enter any such facility of their choosing.

the administration is using the term “gender identity.” this term was introduced by psychologists around the 1960s. it reflects a false, pseudoscientific idea that gender may change after birth. the truth is that gender was determined before birth and it cannot be changed.

as a policy matter, schools should be permitted to maintain separate facilities for male and female students. to do this, a school may need to determine whether a given student is male or female. that has become practically impossible under the recent mandate, because any student is permitted to “identify” as any gender at any moment.

as a legal matter, the “dear colleague letter” violates the constitution, and particularly the tenth amendment, which reserves these powers to the states or to the people. the letter was unlawful and hopefully the federal court will set it aside.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

I for one am against this policy; no child, nor anybody for that matter, should be forced to confront the objectionable lifestyle choices of others in what should be the most safe and private of circumstances. I find this policy an affront to the well-being and security of children everywhere.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Our traditional federal-state relationship, we must never forget, starts with a general presumption in favor of state and individual rights. Under the constitutional concept, powers not granted to the federal government are reserved to the states or to the people.

Many forces work toward the concentration of power at federal level. It somehow seems easier to impose so-called "progress" on localities than to wait for them to bring it about themselves. ... If this trend continues, the states may be left hollow shells, operating primarily as the field districts of federal departments and dependent upon the federal treasury for their support. ...

The history of all mankind shows very clearly that if we would be free—and if we would stay free—we must stand eternal watch against the accumulation of too much power in government.

There is hardly a single instance in all of history where the dictatorial centralization of power has been compatible with individual freedoms—where it has not reduced the citizenry to the status of pawns and mere creatures of the state. God forbid that this should happen in America. Yet I am persuaded that the continuation of the trend of the past twenty-five years could make us pallbearers at the burial of the states as effective units of government. ...

The truth is that the federal government has no funds which it does not first, in some manner, take from the people. A dollar cannot make the round trip to Washington and back without shrinking in the process. As taxpayers we need to recognize these facts; programs which obscure them are contrary to public interest.

The thought that the federal government is wealthy and the states poverty-stricken is a dangerous illusion. The federal debt is now eight times as great as the combined debt of the forty-eight states. It is difficult for the states to make a strong case for assistance from the federal government when anything the federal government spends must come from the states.

The states not only have rights, they also have responsibilities, and they have opportunities.

In the last analysis, we are not trying to protect one government entity from another. We are trying to protect the rights of individual people. If we ever forget this, the whole process of government is pointless. ...

A ... group is dedicated to the overthrow of the economic and social system that is our tradition. Their philosophy does not stem from Jefferson, but is foreign to our shores. It is a total philosophy of life, atheistic, and utterly opposed to all that we hold dear as a great Christian nation. These men understand our system thoroughly—and they hate it thoroughly. They enlist innocent but willing followers from the uninformed and the unprincipled. Through rabble-rousing and demagoguery they play upon the economic reverses and hardships of the unsuspecting. They promise the impossible, and call black white, and mislead with fallacies masqueraded as truth.

(Elder Ezra Taft Benson, General Conference, October 1958)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thank you Ian for including "dignity".

This policy is so terrible and unnerving. It shocks my conscience that this, among other atrocities, are the future.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I got this info from - Capital Resource Institute - capitalresource.org

Many school officials have been wrongly led to believe that because of AB 1266 the "bathroom bill" signed into law in California in 2013, they have no choice but to implement this policy.

AB 1266 is in direct conflict with the right to privacy guaranteed in the California Constitution.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
SECTION 1.
All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

There is no shortage of hearsay when it comes to the laws regarding these types of policies. We don't want parents to rely on hearsay. We want you to have the facts.

Here are Five Fast Facts regarding privacy:

1. No federal law requires school districts to grant students access to facilities dedicated to the opposite sex.

2. No state law can strip away students of their constitutional right to privacy.

3. Granting students access to opposite-sex changing areas could subject schools to tort liability for violating parents' rights.

4. School districts have broad discretion to regulate the use of restrooms and similar facilities and to balance competing interests.

5. As a practical matter, a public school will not lose federal funding for non-compliance with Title IX.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

assembly bill 1266 is terrible, but the law is currently in effect. unfortunately a referendum failed which would have given voters an opportunity to repeal the law. enough signatures were gathered for the referendum, but more than twenty percent of the signatures were disqualified by election officials. a court challenge regarding the disqualification of signatures is pending.

the signatures were gathered by a coalition formerly called “privacy for all students,” now called “privacy for all.”

the case is being handled by attorneys from the pacific justice institute.

the latest update i could find is dated may 26, 2016: “california transgender bathroom challenge wins procedural victory.”
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

this is good news: today the department of justice (under jeff sessions) and the department of education (under betsy devos) withdrew prior guidance (under barack obama) that required schools to allow "transgender" access to facilities based on "gender identity." here's the announcement:
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Statement by Attorney General Jeff Sessions on the Withdrawal of Title IX Guidance

The Department of Justice and the Department of Education today withdrew guidance for educational institutions, issued in 2015 and 2016, that took the position that the prohibitions in Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and implementing regulations against discrimination on the basis of sex require access to sex-segregated facilities on the basis of gender identity rather than biological sex. Attorney General Jeff Sessions issued the following statement:

“The Department of Justice has a duty to enforce the law. The prior guidance documents did not contain sufficient legal analysis or explain how the interpretation was consistent with the language of Title IX. The Department of Education and the Department of Justice therefore have withdrawn the guidance. Congress, state legislatures, and local governments are in a position to adopt appropriate policies or laws addressing this issue. The Department of Justice remains committed to the proper interpretation and enforcement of Title IX and to its protections for all students, including LGBTQ students, from discrimination, bullying, and harassment.”
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Good news indeed.