Depression

All registered users can post here.
Betsy

Re: Depression

Post by Betsy »

Ok, the answer is no.

You do realize why I talk about it a lot, right?
Steve

Post by Steve »

You can visit https://www.lds.org/mentalhealth?lang=eng for more information. I watched the video several days ago and appreciate Elder Holland's words of encouragement.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Yes, it's a good resource, even though Elder Holland probably placed "undue emphasis" on seeking professional help.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

less than one minute in an eleven-minute video seemed about right, as did one paragraph in elder holland's fourteen-paragraph general conference talk.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Oh I see, it is to remain a 1-11 to 1-14 ratio in order for it to be acceptable. The gospel according to Ian!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i didn't make the video or deliver the talk, but i believe they put the right amount of emphasis on professional help.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I'm sure they will have to check in with you before they make any more talks or videos on the subject.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: Yes, it's a good resource, even though Elder Holland probably placed "undue emphasis" on seeking professional help.
Your words, not mine. Nobody is out to "get you" but the adversary.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Who said somebody was out to get me?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: Who said somebody was out to get me?
It seems that you're being hyper-defensive. I commented on what a nice resource it was, and you immediately replied with sarcasm. It's like you view everyone on here as your enemy. That's sad. There's nobody that loves you more than your family. If you need help, we're here for you!
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Those are all thoughts that you have, that are not in line with reality.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I care about people who struggle with depression/suicidal thoughts. The church cares greatly about them too. I am grateful they are working with professionals to make the correct course of action (equal balance of spiritual and professional help) clear. Depression among the members of the church is something I have become more aware of since moving to Utah, which, as you know, has a high population of Mormons. Ensign articles on this topic are becoming more and more frequent on this issue, and it is by no accident.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/09/choo ... s?lang=eng
At first I tried what I had tried the previous year: praying more, exercising more, and trying harder at everything. But the suicidal urges grew stronger and more severe. I struggled for two months and finally realized that I couldn’t survive another winter on my own. I realized that Heavenly Father has blessed us with modern medicine and doctors. To recover, I needed to be willing to open up about my depression and visit a doctor.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

last night i read a prophetic general conference talk regarding this subject (president benson, 1974). the Lord foretold that men's hearts would fail them in our time. knowing that the church will remain intact with God directing it, our individual responsibility is to remain faithful to the church and to its teachings. the Lord has provided us with at least a dozen ways to defeat depression:

1. repentance
2. prayer
3. service
4. work
5. health
6. reading
7. blessings
8. fasting
9. friends
10. music
11. endurance
12. goals
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Depression is not included in what the phrase "men's hearts failing" implies. Depression is not the result of sin. It is not the result of not trying hard enough. It is not something new to our time. It is a clinical illness. For many, that list of 12 things is not enough to get them mentally healthy. I imagine many of us understand this, but I want to be sure that we are not confusing faithfulness with a lack of depression and anxiety.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

this is from the above-referenced talk:
We live in an age when, as the Lord foretold, men’s hearts are failing them, not only physically but in spirit. (See D&C 45:26.) Many are giving up heart for the battle of life. Suicide ranks as a major cause of the deaths to college students. As the showdown between good and evil approaches with its accompanying trials and tribulations, Satan is increasingly striving to overcome the Saints with despair, discouragement, despondency, and depression.

President Ezra Taft Benson, Do Not Despair, October 1974 General Conference