Hastening the Work of Salvation

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Hastening the Work of Salvation

Post by Tuly »

As you all well know lds.org has created a website for missionary work.

http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/h ... 8&lang=eng

My hope is to encourage us all as a family to missionary work - finding new people to join our fold or bringing back those who have left our fold.
Children and youth make the best missionaries. Our family can testify of this. In our monthly fast please let us include missionary work and fasting for our ward missionaries. As well as contribute to the missionary fund. I will definitely be taking a Book of Mormon to give to someone in my tour group...you never know.

We are all in this together. With fellow ward members and missionaries, we plan and pray and help one another. Please keep the full-time missionaries in your thoughts and prayers. Trust them with your family and friends. The Lord trusts them and has called them to teach and bless those who seek Him.

Elder Neil L. Andersen

Wishing will not make it so. The Lord expects our thinking. He expects our action. He expects our labors. He expects our testimonies. He expects our devotion.

President Thomas S. Monson

There is a way for everyone … to participate in this great work. We can each find a way to use our own particular talents and interests in support of the great work of filling the world with light and truth.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: Hastening the Work of Salvation

Post by Tuly »

Since John is a ward missionary we had the pleasure of giving the new member lesson to this new convert. Instead of the missionaries giving the new member lessons, our ward has members do the lessons. It has been a great experience for John and I to study - Preach My Gospel.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I'm learning more and more what "hastening the work of salvation" is. I appreciated this article from Deseret News.
"Hastening the Work of Salvation" Is More than a Catchphrase

http://www.lds.org/church/news/hastenin ... 85&im=true
The work of salvation expands the missionary purpose (Preach My Gospel, p. 1). The following added phrase—set off in italics—isn’t in the published statement, but it’s certainly implied now: “To invite others to come unto Christ—or to come back unto Christ—by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.”

In his concluding address at the June 2013 new mission presidents seminar, Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, “I can see the future unfold before us to where we will have greater opportunity to teach the gospel with the new methods, with new opportunities that we have never had.”

And he summarized his feelings of “hastening the work of salvation” this way: “This is the most remarkable era in the history of the Church. This is something that ranks with the great events that have happened in the past history, like the First Vision, like the gift of the Book of Mormon, like the Restoration of the gospel, like all of the things that build that foundation for us to go forward and teach in our Heavenly Father’s Kingdom.”
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Another great talk to inspire us to hasten the work of salvation.
Put Your Trust in the Lord by Elder M. Russell Ballard - General Conference - October 2013.

I know that this urgency to share the gospel of Jesus Christ to all:friends, neighbors, friends and family who have lost faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, should be a part of our daily lives as much as possible. Dad and I have seen the many blessings our family has received from sharing our testimonies to the many people we have learned to love deeply. Simply stated I also feel it is about loving all of Heavenly Father's children.

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/11/satur ... d?lang=eng

Trust the Lord. He is the Good Shepherd. He knows His sheep, and His sheep know His voice; and today the voice of the Good Shepherd is your voice and my voice. And if we are not engaged, many who would hear the message of the Restoration will be passed by. Simply stated, it’s a matter of faith and action on our part. The principles are pretty simple—pray, personally and in your family, for missionary opportunities. The Lord has said in the Doctrine and Covenants that many people have been kept from the truth only “because they know not where to find it” (D&C 123:12).

You don’t have to be an outgoing person or an eloquent, persuasive teacher. If you have an abiding love and hope within you, the Lord has promised if you “lift up your voices unto this people [and] speak the thoughts that [He] shall put into your hearts, … you shall not be confounded before men;

“[And] it shall be given you … in the very moment, what ye shall say” (D&C 100:5–6).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

My way of thinking now a days is that with every event I'm involved, I ask myself how does this help hasten the work of salvation?..and you know it is possible that everything we do with that question in mind can be more effective with all we come in contact. Including friends and family members who are struggling with their testimonies of Christ. I loved this understanding from Sister Bonnie Oscarson.

It is possible to have a testimony of the gospel without living it. Being truly converted means we are acting upon what we believe and allowing it to create “a mighty change in us, or in our hearts".

Here is a link from lds.org - Sharing the Gospel Naturally

https://www.lds.org/youth/article/shari ... y?lang=eng

10 Scriptures to Cheer Up Your Friends

Know people who are having a bad day? Sharing a scripture with them might be just the thing to brighten their day. And if they see that you believe in the scriptures, they may ask you more about your beliefs or the Church. Here are 10 scriptures that inspire with hope and provide comfort to the soul.

Joshua 1:9
Proverbs 3:5–6
Isaiah 12:2
Matthew 11:28–30
John 16:33
2 Nephi 31:20
Mosiah 4:9
Alma 36:3
Helaman 5:12
D&C 136:29
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This topic is on my mind daily. Not only with concern for bringing new members to the fold but rekindling the love of the gospel to family members. I found this article by Elder Donald Keyes, and was intrigued with the subject; Parables of the Lost and Found.
We have the responsibility to “reach out and rescue those who have fallen by the wayside, that not one precious soul will be lost.”
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/02/para ... d?lang=eng

My hope is that when we are lost we will have each other - family - to take the time to find us spiritually, emotionally and physically. This applies to family history and missionary work. We see throughout the scriptures people getting lost and being found these parables of the lost and found are significant in hastening the work of salvation. When I was in college it wasn't cool to talk about the gospel (with some of my friends, not all), because I went to a college where we were all members of the church so some did not feel the need to talk about the gospel. I was weird and would find ways to connect life with the gospel. I pray that I will make that kind of effort with non-members, members and especially my family. To me hastening the work of salvation is very much about saving families.
In the parable of the lost sheep, the shepherd went after the lost sheep and searched until he found it. He then returned, rejoicing (see Luke 15:4–7).

In the parable of the lost coin, the widow lit a candle, which gave light, and swept every corner to find the coin. She rejoiced upon finding it (see Luke 15:8–10).

Both of these parables are examples of action taken to search, light up the darkness, and sweep until a treasured possession or lost soul is found and returned to a rejoicing home. - Elder Robert D.Hales https://www.lds.org/ensign/1987/05/some ... e?lang=eng
“Along your pathway of life you will observe that you are not the only traveler. There are others who need your help. There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save.”
President Thomas S. Monson https://www.lds.org/ensign/2006/11/how- ... n?lang=eng
“Ours is the responsibility to care for the flock, for the precious sheep, these tender lambs, are everywhere to be found—at home in our families, in the homes of our extended families, and waiting for us in our Church callings. Jesus is our Exemplar. Said He, ‘I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep’ (John 10:14). We have a shepherding responsibility. May we each step up to serve.”
President Thomas S. Monson
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2006/06/heav ... s?lang=eng
Matthew 12:12 - How much then is a man better than a sheep?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

:tumbleweed:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Amen to the importance of families!
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

New Religion Classes

Post by Steve »

"The Church Board of Education and Boards of Trustees for BYU, BYU-Idaho, BYU-Hawaii and LDS Business College have approved four new courses, to be introduced in 2015 and 2016 at all Church universities and Institutes of Religion. ... These new courses will be required for all incoming students and are recommended for continuing students at all Church universities and Institutes of Religion." [LINK]

1. Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel
2. Foundations of the Restoration
3. The Teachings and Doctrine of the Book of Mormon
4. The Eternal Family
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I'm so glad you posted this Steve. I saw the CES devotional where Elder Johnson announced about these courses. I love that students will be required to take - The Eternal Family course. Are manuals ready for purchase now? I would love to get these manuals myself.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I am working with one of the professors who is developing The Eternal Family course. I'll keep you posted when I hear more about manual availability, etc.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Steve - Love you!!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This past Saturday, June 25th a dear lady, who dad introduced to the gospel, got baptized. It was a lovely day, she will be attending Ian's ward. I had just read this talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf -
Acting on the Truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ - Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting - February 11th, 2012.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... t?lang=eng

Another topic I would like to discuss is the difference between growth and real growth. We have heard some about this today. In Church terms, growth could be defined as new members. New members come through children baptized at age eight as well as convert baptisms. Real growth, however, is defined as growth in the number of active members.

In some areas of the Church we have dramatic growth in new members, yet active membership remains stagnant or grows only a little. We have some measurable ways to indicate activity in the Church, such as sacrament meeting attendance, ordination to the priesthood at the right age, missionary service, and possession of a current temple recommend. Perhaps the more accurate indicators of real growth in the gospel of Jesus Christ are those that we can’t measure as easily, such as daily prayer, scripture study, family home evening, love at home and for our neighbor, and personal experiences with Christ’s Atonement. These are recorded not by a clerk in Church records but in our hearts and in heaven.

Our missionary efforts are compromised if we baptize God’s children but do not maintain love and friendship with these precious new members who are excited to find fellowship with the Saints and a place of belonging in the household of God.
I have always been concerned about retention in the church that we "maintain love and friendship with these precious new members" - It does take work, but the fruits of fellowship are beyond delicious. Please be aware of those in your wards that need your love and friendship even if they are not brand new members.
Steve

Post by Steve »

In the cottage there is joy
When there's love at home;
Hate and envy ne'er annoy
When there's love at home.
Roses bloom beneath our feet;
All the earth's a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete
When there's love at home.

(John Hugh McNaughton, Love at Home)
I note that our wards, stakes, communities, and nations are impacted by the attention we give others, both in our home as well as our other surroundings. I know I feel happiest when I forget myself for a bit. In a recent discussion, it occurred to me that those times I've sought to rely solely on idle leisure for all of my recreative needs, it usually is not enough. However, when I look beyond myself and interact with and serve others, I am buoyed up by the Spirit of the Lord. It might be a little more work and doesn't sound as restful, but the consequence of enjoying His attendance grants me strength and refreshment I would not have otherwise.

This is definitely something I want to work at.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Reading this past post reminds me that I miss Steve on the website...I miss all of your participation. This being September 11th, this scripture, that I absolutely love was shared to us at Sacrament meeting. I feel it fits well with today's somber occasion.
Job 14: 7 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Most importantly it is by sharing the gospel that we will face the challenges of today. President Gordon B. Hinckley said in General Conference October 2001 - Living in the Fullness of Times

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
The Lord has given us the goal toward which we work. That goal is to build His kingdom, which is a mighty cause of great numbers of men and women of faith, of integrity, of love and concern for mankind, marching forward to create a better society, bringing blessings upon ourselves and upon the heads of others.

As we recognize our place and our goal, we cannot become arrogant. We cannot become self-righteous. We cannot become smug or egotistical. We must reach out to all mankind. They are all sons and daughters of God our Eternal Father, and He will hold us accountable for what we do concerning them. May the Lord bless us. May He make us strong and mighty in good works. May our faith shine forth as the sunlight of the morning. May we walk in obedience to His divine commandments. May He smile with favor upon us. And as we go forward, may we bless humanity with an outreach to all, lifting those who are downtrodden and oppressed, feeding and clothing the hungry and the needy, extending love and neighborliness to those about us who may not be part of this Church. The Lord has shown us the way. He has given us His word, His counsel, His guidance, yea, His commandments. We have done well. We have much to be grateful for and much to be proud of. But we can do better, so much better.