BYU's Sexual Assault Issue

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

BYU's Sexual Assault Issue

Post by Tuly »

I feel that I will always be concerned for the safety of all human beings as well I will never tolerate any kind of abuse towards women. I also feel that those who truly understand the gospel would never allow any kind of abuse towards Heavenly Father's daughters, now how some people misunderstand that knowledge is frustrating to me. In other words; when there are women who feel that since God is a man, He could never understand women and take that frustration towards the church in general, and when men feel a sense of entitlement to abuse "the weaker sex" and try to get away with the justice due to them for their crime. I feel then both parties do not know what the doctrine of Christ is. Obviously I'm talking specifically about lds members.

This is a letter send to BYU students.
Message to Students, Faculty and Staff: Update on Sexual Assault Study; Request for Your Feedback
May 19, 2016 | Carri Jenkins

Editor's Note: The following message was emailed to all BYU students, faculty and staff on Thursday, May 19.

To: All Students, Faculty and Staff
Subject: Update on Sexual Assault Study; Request for Your Feedback

Last month, President Worthen announced that BYU would study the sexual assault reporting process and structure under Title IX at the university. He reiterated his and the university’s concern for the well-being and safety of all of our students. He also emphasized that we are listening to the concerns expressed about the reporting of sexual assaults to our Title IX Office.

President Worthen asked me to chair the group that would spearhead this study. He outlined two primary goals for our group, the Advisory Council on Campus Response to Sexual Assault:

Identify changes that will help BYU work toward the elimination of sexual assault on campus.
Determine how to better handle the reporting process for victims of sexual assault as sensitively and compassionately as possible consistent with the requirements of the Department of Education’s Title IX program.
As the university has already stated, we are specifically looking at potential structural changes within the university, the process for determining whether and how information is used, and the relationship between the Title IX Office and the Honor Code Office.

Over the last month we have reviewed feedback from students, faculty, staff, alumni and others, as well as the comments that were delivered to BYU on April 20.

Your Feedback
This morning we launched a website to obtain additional feedback from you and others on matters related to sexual assault. This website – feedback2016.byu.edu – is open to all, and feedback is anonymous. We appreciate and value all input.

The information that is gathered from this website will be an important component of a thorough and comprehensive study. The members of the advisory council were chosen for their experience, expertise and concern for every student at BYU. They have a deep commitment to preserving a safe campus environment where there is zero tolerance for sexual assault.

Advisory Council
As the Vice President for Student Life, I have been asked to lead this council. I have served as dean of students at BYU and am a licensed psychologist, with a doctoral degree from the University of Utah in counseling psychology.

There are three other members of the advisory council:

Dr. Julie Valentine, a BYU nursing professor whose research focuses on sexual assault and violence against women.
Dr. Ben Ogles, the dean of BYU’s College of Family, Home and Social Sciences, who came to BYU from Ohio University, where he served as chair and director of clinical training in the Department of Psychology.
Dr. Sandra Rogers, the International Vice President at BYU and a former dean of the BYU College of Nursing.
This group has called and will continue to call upon others inside and outside the university to provide added perspective and insight. I assure you that this advisory council will study every part of the sexual assault reporting process at BYU. Thank you for your ongoing faith and effort to help in this commitment.

- See more at: http://news.byu.edu/news/campus-message ... LI604.dpuf
This is from a blog
BYU Rape Myths by: hawkgrrrl
May 24, 2016
There has been push back among conservatives within the church (most notably the church’s PR team in their defensive reply to Salt Lake Tribune coverage of the Title IX violations at BYU) about the term rape culture as applied to the issues at BYU. These concerns stem from a misunderstanding of the term rape culture as well as (ironically) the prevalence of rape culture.

Rape culture is a term coined in the 1970s to explain the prevailing ideas in American society at large that enable rapists. Those who are pushing back against the term seem to think that the Tribune is using hyperbole or sensationalism in singling out BYU as creating a “rape culture” for women. This is a strawman argument, and those unfamiliar with the term rape culture should put on the safeties for five minutes and google the term rape culture before they come out firing. Discussing rape culture elevates awareness by educating people on the ways in which our society at large, as well as subcultures like BYU, enable rapists through rape myths, denial or minimization of rape, discouraging reporting and victim blaming. From an article at Everyday Feminism online magazine:

We know that at its core, our society is not something that outwardly promotes rape, as the phrase could imply. That is, we don’t, after all, “commonly engage” in sexual violence “together as a society.”

To understand rape culture better, first we need to understand that it’s not necessarily a society or group of people that outwardly promotes rape (although it could be).

When we talk about rape culture, we’re discussing something more implicit than that. We’re talking about cultural practices (that, yes, we commonly engage in together as a society) that excuse or otherwise tolerate sexual violence.

First, a few facts. According to the American Association of Universities, 26% of college attending women and 7% of college attending men are sexually assaulted. Only between 15.8% and 35% of rapes are reported. Only 8% of rapes are “stranger” rape. In 60% of cases, the rapist is known by the victim. In 32% the rapist is a romantic partner prior to the assault. Between 8 and 2% of rape accusations are false. Unreported rape (between 84.2% and 65%) is a far bigger problem than false reports of rape, and of course, most rapes that are reported are unproven and often unprosecuted. The risk of a rapist going free and raping again is far greater than the risk of a false accusation.
http://www.wheatandtares.org/21185/byu-rape-myths/
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Re: BYU's Sexual Assault Issue

Post by Steve »

Interesting that the blog author cites a single co-worker as the source for many of her arguments against the entire university, its student body, and its campus-wide policies. What's more, rather than engaging in a focused discussion of the issue, these authors tend to throw accusations at everything and everyone all at once. Males are scum (because I know a guy who is allegedly scum), and the entire university is indifferent to sexual assault. The author's trail of logic is a bit erratic:
Just as there is no single normal response to being mugged, there is no single normal response to being raped. When the Miracle of Forgiveness says that you should fight to the death rather than be raped, this makes every rape survivor suspect. If a victim lives to file a report, they didn’t do all in their power to avoid the rape. Ergo, if you survived, you weren’t raped.
Other statements also make me wince:
"According to the FBI, only 2% of rape allegations are untrue."

"In my experience, rape among Mormon women is no more rare than it is among women in general. I had many roommates at BYU and mission companions who were survivors of rape or incest, although I was not."

"We absolutely need to stop having our YW recite the scripture in Moroni 9:9 that implies that their virtue can be taken from them and is not in their power to retain."
For an issue so important and serious, it's a shame that the loudest voices aren't necessarily the most helpful. Though it's good to take these opportunities to consider and discuss the challenges of our day, we should probably take care not to destroy everything else in our path in an attempt to protect/defend a particular position.

--------------------

MODERATOR'S NOTE: The following post and its subsequent discussion were moved from the Brigham Young University thread to this thread.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Betsy

Re: Brigham Young University

Post by Betsy »

BYU is a great school. Ian's thinly-veiled comment on protests at the school was uncalled for, however. I was hoping that, having attended a protest about the honor code's policy on sexual abuse, it wouldn't lead to my family thinking I was against the church, but it appears I was wrong to hope for that.

You may have heard about this already, but it's worth posting here, that BYU adopted an amnesty clause to it's honor code for sexual assault victims (among other measures to protect the victims). This was extremely satisfying to hear about for me because it is a step toward progress that Micah and I were anxious to see. When we marched up to the administration office, one day before my graduation, I was not certain what our peaceful protest would bring, but I felt hopeful for a positive change. Today's news is exciting and I am inwardly celebrating, and will continue to hope for positive change no matter what Ian or Steve might say.

http://news.byu.edu/news/news-release
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy, why was his comment uncalled for? Elder Lawrence said:
I hope this place will always be a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit and a great temple of learning protected by legions of angels. But the reality is that BYU is on the front lines of the war between good and evil. BYU is a hot spot—a battle zone—in that war. ...

BYU is the flagship of the Church Educa­tional System. You are called upon to be a great shining light in God’s kingdom. And because you are that light and because you stand for truth and righteousness, you are a lightning rod for all who would attack BYU and the Lord’s Church. Those attacks may well increase in frequency and intensity. We need the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the protection of angels in greater measure.
Do you believe that the mass media's treatment of BYU is fair and appropriate? Do you believe that the incident did not unfold as a thinly-veiled attack against the Church? What about this one?

Regarding your personal involvement, that's between you and the Lord. My initial reaction is to ask why one would involve oneself in a public-shaming initiative against the Lord's university. If you had an idea for improvement, I wonder why you did not take the more respectful approach and initiate contact through appropriate channels that did not seek to cast a negative light on the Church. Your participation included association with behavior that was carried to the entire world with implicit criticism of the school, the Church, and the Savior. I suspect you may have been quick to react to the sensational outcry without thinking the potential repercussions all the way through.

Meanwhile, I love BYU. The longer I associate with it, the more grateful I am. I know that BYU will play a large role in educating the world and standing for truth in the coming years. I know that needed direction will come through the appropriate priesthood line of authority. If I contribute in any way to the progress to be made, I hope that it will be constructive and that it will be presented with humility and respect.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

judging from betsy's excitement (enough to celebrate inwardly in a public forum) i would say that byu handled this matter perfectly.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

i would say that byu handled this matter perfectly
Can you explain this comment?
Regarding your personal involvement, that's between you and the Lord...
...Now allow me to insert myself into your personal experience and bestow upon you my inappropriate judgments!
I suspect you may have been quick to react to the sensational outcry without thinking the potential repercussions all the way through.
Are you saying I should regret my actions? And by potential repercussions do you mean actually instigating a change in policy? Because that is what happened.
Your participation included association with behavior that was carried to the entire world with implicit criticism of the school, the Church, and the Savior
Your capacity to make astronomical leaps in logic is endless, yet the absurdity of it is completely lost on you.
If you had an idea for improvement, I wonder why you did not take the more respectful approach and initiate contact through appropriate channels that did not seek to cast a negative light on the Church.
I don't think you understand what a protest is. It's not a "public-shaming initiative" (seriously, how do you come up with this stuff? I'll give you credit that it's creative, but it's straight wrong), but a perfectly legal way to make your voice heard. We took thousands of signatures of people who signed a petition directly to the administrative office. How in the world is this inappropriate?

Ah, just so much to disregard here, it's amazing. I sure get a kick out these one-sided discussions.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

byu handled this well, because they improved policies and assuaged many of their critics, without changing the honor code or compromising their standards. they do this all the time.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Well in case you didn't know, the protest wasn't asking BYU to remove that part of the honor code. We specifically asked for an amnesty clause (which, in fact, is a change to the actual honor code) and other protections for victims of rape.

And do they really do this all the time? Or are you just saying that to diminish the significance of this event? Also, do you really want to say this was all just to assuage the critics? Because then that seems like a less inspired decision and more of a business move. Why won't you give the BYU admin. more credit than that? Weren't you just saying they deserve our loyalty?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: ...bestow upon you my inappropriate judgments!
What is inappropriate about the judgments? I can share my thoughts on your behavior just as you are currently judging mine. You'll notice that nobody is responding with any sort of anxiety to your "judgments."
Betsy: And by potential repercussions do you mean actually instigating a change in policy? Because that is what happened.
Do you believe that the Lord inspired you to publicly protest His university in order to bring about a righteous change in the policies? Do you believe that this needed policy change could not have been brought about through any other means?
Betsy: Your capacity to make astronomical leaps in logic is endless, yet the absurdity of it is completely lost on you.
Please enlighten me.
Betsy: ...I don't think you understand what a protest is. It's not a "public-shaming initiative"...

How would you define "public shaming"? Like this? Or any of this? Do you believe that each of these articles treated BYU and the Church fairly and respectfully? The Church did not think so.
Betsy: ...a perfectly legal way to make your voice heard. We took thousands of signatures of people who signed a petition directly...
The legality of an action does not endow it with any sort of divine approbation. What's more, let us not forget:
50 million people can be wrong—totally wrong.

(Elder Russell M. Nelson, Let Your Faith Show, April 2014 General Conference)
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

we should note that mom also started a discussion about this topic here.

the most significant thing about the protest was that it generated negative publicity against the church. however, it was not well-supported. despite a student body of over 30,000, only 80 people showed up, and almost none of them were byu students. also, those “thousands” of signatures were generated by care2.com, a big business with millions of members. it’s part of a multi-million-dollar industry that entices people on social media throughout the world to sign petitions with the simple click of a button. they make a lot of money doing this. you may have noticed the care2.com logo on the signs that were handed out at the protest. that was advertising.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Interesting stuff.

Might be worthwhile to move this line of discussion starting with Betsy's initial post to that thread so we can reserve this thread for its intended purpose.

--------------------

EDIT: I went ahead and did just that.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

This thread is a perfectly acceptable place to discuss this. Maybe what you should have titled it was "People shouldn't protest BYU's backwards policies".

In the end, you fail to realize how the protest has now ended up giving a lot of positive publicity to the church, as the policy change is seen favorably by most people and many are applauding the decisions. Who cares if the protest only had 80 people. Who cares about the business that was used to collect signatures. In the end it all led to a positive change. Ian, I know as a lawyer your job is to dig up any kind of dirt you can find about stuff, but just know that I see right through that. Or at the very least, it does not successfully distract me from the actual topic at hand.
Do you believe that the Lord inspired you to publicly protest His university in order to bring about a righteous change in the policies?
YES ABSOLUTELY YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I believe the decision that BYU administrators made was divinely inspired. Don't you?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: Maybe what you should have titled it was "People shouldn't protest BYU's backwards policies".
I believe you've been swayed by popular opinion and will eventually regret this tone. Nevertheless, you have your agency.
Betsy: In the end, you fail to realize how the protest has now ended up giving a lot of positive publicity to the church, as the policy change is seen favorably by most people and many are applauding the decisions. ... Who cares about the business that was used to collect signatures. In the end it all led to a positive change.
You, Matt Stone, and Trey Parker deserve our gratitude.
Betsy: YES ABSOLUTELY YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I believe the decision that BYU administrators made was divinely inspired. Don't you?
I believe it has more to do with this than it has to do with any good coming as a direct result of the sensational protests:
...no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.

(Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:540)
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I believe you've been swayed by popular opinion and will eventually regret this tone.
Do you think the BYU's administration were swayed by popular opinion with their actions regarding the honor code?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy: Do you think the BYU's administration were swayed by popular opinion with their actions regarding the honor code?
I believe Elder Christofferson spoke to this:
Even when we encounter mean-spirited criticism from persons who have little regard or love for us, it can be helpful to exercise enough meekness to weigh it and sift out anything that might benefit us.

(Elder D. Todd Christofferson, “As Many as I Love, I Rebuke and Chasten”, April 2011 General Conference)