The Gift of Giving

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

The Gift of Giving

Post by Tuly »

All through my life I have been the recipient of wonderful gifts by people who have a gift for giving. These thoughtful people see something that reminds them of me and kindly bring that gift to me. I think of Aunt Betsy who sees a book that I would enjoy and she will lovingly give that to me. Dad who sees a flower, a dress , a painting, a piece of furniture, a song, a poem and will lovingly give that to me. I could name many other people who possess that gift, but I wont right now.
So that I can emulate that wonderful gift these people with these talents have, I turn to prayer to be helped in my gift giving...please don't think all my gifts are done this way. I'm trying to be better in giving more thoughtfully.
I came across this talk by President Thomas S. Monson - General Conference April 1993 - Gifts

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... g=eng&_r=1
For a few moments, may we set aside the catalogs of Christmas, with their gifts of exotic description. Let’s even turn from the flowers for Mother, the special tie for Father, the cute doll, the train that whistles, the long-awaited bicycle—even the “Star Trek” books and videos—and direct our thoughts to those God-given gifts that endure. I have chosen from a long list just four:

The gift of birth.

The gift of peace.

The gift of love.

The gift of life eternal.

First, the gift of birth. It has been universally bestowed on each of us. Ours was the divine privilege to depart our heavenly home to tabernacle in the flesh and to demonstrate by our lives our worthiness and qualifications to one day return to Him, precious loved ones, and a kingdom called celestial. Our mothers and our fathers bestowed this marvelous gift on us. Ours is the responsibility to show our gratitude by the actions of our lives.

Second, the gift of peace...He sends forth His word through the missionaries serving far and wide proclaiming His gospel of good tidings and salutation of peace. Vexing questions such as “From whence did I come?” “What is the purpose of my being?” “Whence go I after death?” are answered by His special servants. Frustration flees, doubt disappears, and wonder wanes when truth is taught in boldness, yet in a spirit of humility, by those who have been called to serve the Prince of Peace—even the Lord Jesus Christ. His gift is bestowed individually: “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him.”

Third, the gift of love. “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?” queried the lawyer who spoke to Jesus. Came the prompt reply: “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

“This is the first and great commandment.

“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”11

On another occasion, the Lord taught, “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me.”12 The scriptures are filled with the importance of love and its relevance in our lives. The Book of Mormon teaches that charity is the pure love of Christ.13 The Master Himself provided an ideal pattern for us to follow. Of Him it was said that He “went about doing good … ; for God was with him.”

Fourth, the gift of life—even immortality. Our Heavenly Father’s plan contains the ultimate expressions of true love. All that we hold dear, even our families, our friends, our joy, our knowledge, our testimonies, would vanish were it not for our Father and His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Among the most cherished thoughts and writings in this world is the divine statement of truth: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31