Happy Easter Week

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Re: Happy Easter Week

Post by Tuly »

This miracle came after Jesus Christ's transfiguration. I wish I could pay my taxes this way. :wink:
Matthew 17:24-27
24 ¶And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?

26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.

27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The raising of the widow's son.

Luke 7:11-16
11 ¶And it came to pass the day after, that he went into a city called Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people.

12 Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her.

13 And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not.

14 And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise.

15 And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.

16 And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Easter!!!Enjoy General Conference.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Today is the first day of spring 2016 and Palm Sunday. First Presidency message Easter Greeting 1989 -

https://www.lds.org/liahona/1989/03/fir ... g?lang=eng

In much of the world it is springtime, a time when the earth, the trees and flowers recover from the dead of winter. Springtime is symbolic of the Savior’s resurrection. Just as spring inspires renewed hope and new life, so does the resurrection of Jesus Christ. This transcendent event of nearly two thousand years ago provides renewal for all who are willing to overcome sin and who seek to pattern their lives after His.

It is our sincere prayer that the Spirit of Christ will touch the hearts of people everywhere, especially the leaders of nations, that they will be susceptible to His divine influence and seek to live in a spirit of peace and brotherhood with their neighbors.

We further pray that all people may more fully understand the significance of the atonement of the Savior, who has provided for us a plan, a way of life, whereby we may find personal and family peace and true happiness in this life and beyond.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is from the March 2016 BYU Studies Quarterly -

Raising Lazarus: Jesus's Signing of His Own Death Warrant

John W. Welch
Celebrations of Easter usually begin with Jesus’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. But the events of Passion Week cannot be understood without backing up to the event just a few days earlier in Bethany, just over the hill to the east of Jerusalem. That event was the raising of Lazarus at the home and at the behest of Martha and Mary (John 11:3).

Jesus had been a bit slow in coming (11:6), perhaps deliberately so (11:15). Trouble was in the wind. Surely Jesus and his disciples sensed the dangers that lay ahead. Thomas whispered to the other disciples, “Let us also go [to Bethany], that we may die” too (11:16). On the way there, Jesus would famously affirm to Martha, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live” (11:25).

This personal favor, offered by Jesus to Mary, Martha, and Lazarus, all of whom he loved (11:5), is reported is detail in John 11, right before the account of Jesus’s anointing in Bethany and entry into Jerusalem in John 12. The raising of Lazarus was a newsworthy event, in and of itself. The death of Lazarus was a conspicuous event, since his family had some wealth, a family tomb, and social connections. Many Jews had come to mourn with Mary (11:19, 31), and some of them were well connected with leading Pharisees in Jerusalem (11:45-46). Many of these leading Jews in Jerusalem “had seen the things which Jesus did” and they “believed on him” (11:45). The news spread immediately and was acted upon quickly (11:48).

With this as background, it is not hard to imagine why a large multitude of people would have followed Jesus into Jerusalem shouting Hosanna! Save us now! John makes it clear that the crowd was especially excited by the raising of Lazarus. The people who were “with him when he called Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead” were talking openly and strongly and did “bear record,” and for that reason (“for this cause”) the people in the Holy City came out and “also met him, for that they heard that he had done this miracle” (12:17-18).

Moreover, without seeing the raising of Lazarus as background to the Passion Week, it is perhaps even harder to imagine why the chief priests were able, by the end of the week, to turn Jesus’s popularity into utter abandonment by the crowd. The leaders in Jerusalem were poised and ready to move tactically to arrest Jesus, condemn him, take him to Pilate, accuse him, get permission to execute him, and complete the crucifixion, start to finish, all within about ten hours’ time.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

March 2016
The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following Easter message:

Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Jehovah of the Old Testament, and the Messiah of the New Testament. He died and was resurrected, and He lives in glory with our Eternal Father.

As a result of our Savior’s atoning sacrifice, death, and resurrection we become the beneficiaries of His mercy and grace. In a world of trouble and uncertainty, His peace can fill our hearts and ease our minds. Jesus is in very deed “the way, the truth, and the life” for God’s children everywhere (John 14:6).

At this Easter season we give our sure witness that Jesus is the Christ. Though He was crucified, He rose triumphant from the tomb to our everlasting blessing and benefit. He stands as our Advocate and Savior. He has done for all mankind that which no other could have done. God be thanked for the gift of His Beloved Son, our Savior, the Redeemer of the world, the Lamb without blemish who was offered as a sacrifice for all mankind.

Thomas S. Monson
Henry B. Eyring
Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love this talk by Elder Jeffrey Holland - Broken Things to Mend - General Conference April 2006 - this was a great boost for me. I'm a little overwhelmed with my Uncle Renee's health, My brother Guido in Brussels currently, but hopefully arriving today to NY and of course...taxes.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng
This reliance upon the merciful nature of God is at the very center of the gospel Christ taught. I testify that the Savior’s Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappointments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair. From the beginning, trust in such help was to give us both a reason and a way to improve, an incentive to lay down our burdens and take up our salvation. There can and will be plenty of difficulties in life. Nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ, who knows His voice and strives to do as He did, finds a strength, as the hymn says, “beyond [his] own.” The Savior reminds us that He has “graven [us] upon the palms of [His] hands.” Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now. When He says to the poor in spirit, “Come unto me,” He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up. He knows it because He has walked it. He knows the way because He is the way.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Because it isn't Easter until this happens!

Link

Also Bryn introduced me to this treasure:

Link

And this one wins for both the most obnoxious children's voices AND the creepiest Easter Bunny ever put to film (even after all these years I still have dreams with his eerie melodies ringing through my head from time to time)

Link

NOTE: While I fully endorse the first two delightful videos, I still think that Family Circus is LAME and NOT FUNNY and this cartoon was only included because I have to purge that ridiculous interpretation of the Easter Bunny from my head SOMEHOW.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Mosiah 16:7-8 And if Christ had not risen from the dead, or have broken the bands of death that the grave should have no victory, and that death should have no sting, there could have been no resurrection. But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Matthew 28:5-8
5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.