Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Re: Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Post by Tuly »

Happy Thanksgiving Day my dear family - I am so very grateful for each of you. We have the missionaries coming over for dinner and we are taking dinner to some people in the ward who have health issues - how very blessed we are.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

thank you for this list ;) bcse omigosh i never not see some cuzzins never :( and i wonder their kidsis names and i decided interpost style like this lower caps little punctuation k thx luv bai!! :oops: :oops:
Tuly wrote:"We are not poor, we just don't have money" - I will list how I count my blessings everyday and not in any order of importance. I am so grateful for each of you and I love you all so very much. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Our Father and His Son Jesus Christ
John
Ian
Angela
Oliver
Simon
Hugh
Rhys
Lily
Steve
Jane
Abby
Henry
Bryn
Ann
Caleb
Hyrum
Eliza
Edward
Betsy
Micah
Pippa
Margaret
James
Beatrice
Emma
Mami
Guido
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yes, I know Thanksgiving Day went but I loved this article from Hillsdale College - Thanksgiving and America by Melanie Kirkpatrick -
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/thanksgi ... d-america/
Thanksgiving isn’t a patriotic holiday per se, but it is full of patriotic feeling as Americans give thanks for our shared blessings as a nation. The best expression of this aspect of Thanksgiving comes from Benjamin Franklin, who called it a day “of public Felicity,” a time to express gratitude to God for the “full Enjoyment of Liberty, civil and religious.”

Just about every country has a national day—a holiday when citizens stop to honor their constitution or celebrate a monarch’s birthday or recall their day of liberation from colonial rule. The United States isn’t unique in celebrating its Independence Day. But Thanksgiving is something else. Only a few other countries set aside a day of thanksgiving. Most of these are harvest festivals, celebrations that trace their origins back to when life beat to the rhythm of the agricultural cycle.

America’s Thanksgiving holiday is something different. We live in a less religious age than did the Pilgrims. But it would be a mistake to claim, as some do, that Thanksgiving is not religious. It is that rarest of religious holidays, one that all religions can celebrate. The Pilgrims came to our shores seeking freedom to worship as they pleased. On Thanksgiving, Americans of all faiths—and of none—can give thanks that they found it.
In August 1939, FDR announced that he had decided to move Thanks­giving back a week—from what had by then become the traditional last Thursday of the month. The country was still in the midst of the Great Depression, and Roosevelt’s reasoning was economic. There were five Thursdays in November that year, which meant that Thanksgiving, if celebrated on the last, would fall on the 30th and leave only 20 shopping days till Christmas. Moving the holiday to November 23 would allow Americans more time to shop and—so the President’s dubious theory went—spend more money, thus lifting the economy.

Roosevelt, usually an astute politician, made the mistake at a press conference of saying there was “nothing sacred” about the date of Thanksgiving. He might as well have suggested that roast beef replace turkey as the star of the holiday meal. His announcement was front-page news the next day, and the public outcry was swift and vociferous.

“We here in Plymouth [Massachusetts] consider the day sacred,” the town’s first selectman said. “Plymouth and Thanksgiving are almost synonymous, and merchants or no merchants I can’t see any reason for changing it.” College football coaches were apoplectic, since most colleges scheduled their football seasons, which ended on Thanksgiving weekend, well in advance. Alf Landon, FDR’s Republican opponent in 1936, compared the President to Hitler.

The date of Thanksgiving in 1939 became a political hot potato. Politicians in every state had to read public opinion, examine the local business climate, and consider political loyalties before deciding which date to endorse. In the end, 23 states chose to stick with November 30, while 22 celebrated on November 23. Three states—Texas, Mississippi, and Colorado—decided to celebrate on both days.

It wasn’t long before people started referring to November 30 as the “Republican Thanksgiving” and November 23 as the “Democratic Thanksgiving” (or as some had it, “Franksgiving”). Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire asked sarcastically: “Has the President given any thought to abolishing winter?”

In 1941, President Roosevelt admitted defeat and declared that Thanksgiving would return to its traditional date. Congress passed legislation fixing the date of all future Thanksgivings as the fourth Thursday of November and FDR signed it into law.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Lily

Post by Lily »

Our family finished reading the Book of Mormon on Thanksgiving Day (impeccable timing, really) and among many, many other blessings, I'm grateful for its words and the spirit it brings to our home. We hope everyone enjoyed a happy Thanksgiving and we are looking forward to participating in the church's Light the World campaign in December.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you Lily. Great way to celebrate Thanksgiving by finishing the Book of Mormon. We are also looking forward to Light the World campaign.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Thanksgiving dear family - so much to be grateful for. Pondering the events of this past year to our family, community and nation. My heart is full of gratitude to be living in this blessed country, to have a Father in Heaven and His son as companions through all our trials. To receive and witness so much love that sometimes I can barely take it in. Grateful for all the kind and patient people that surround me where ever I am. Again so much to be grateful for.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy post Thanksgiving - We had a lovely Thanksgiving with Emma, Nate and Paul Hardyman - I love this season of the year. I love my family.