RECIPES

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

RECIPES

Post by Tuly »

So here is my first recipe entry in this thread - is there a way to put this recipes thread so that it can stay on top of the page? Please ask me if you have any questions about this recipe. Thanks Angela for putting the ingredients list together.
Papa Rellena recipe – Tula Penaranda Trewin
Ingredients
10 large potatoes
10 eggs
2 large yellow onions
1 whole garlic head
1 green bell pepper – or any red, yellow or orange bell pepper
1 Tbsp dry or fresh parsley
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs ground beef
6 ounce tomato paste
16 ounce tomato sauce
1 tsp black pepper
3 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 (2 ¼ ounce) cans of sliced olives
1 Tbsp white vinegar
8 to 10 ounces Idaho Spuds potato flakes
2 tsp baking powder

Directions
My mother got the idea to use potato flakes from her sister-in-law Sarah Tamayo. The rest of the recipe she learned from her mother Maria Calderon Tamayo. This makes 25 to 30 large papa rellenas.
1. Boil potatoes and 4 eggs (separately) while chopping the onions, garlic, parsley and bell pepper.
2. Brown meat and get rid of fat. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, drained olives, parsley,chopped boiled eggs, onions and vinegar. Please taste to make sure if it needs more salt.
3. Peel potatoes and start mashing add salt to taste, add 3 eggs and baking powder and add potato flakes to make a doughy consistency.
4. Start the frying pan with 4 Tbsp. of olive oil - you will keep adding more oil as you cook/fry more of the papa rellenas.
5. Have three bowls ready with; 3 to 4 whisked eggs (you might need more as you cook the papas), potato flakes and your potato dough.
6. Get potato dough in shape of an open empanada add 2 tablespoons of meat mixture, once you close the empanada like mixture add more potato flakes and dip it to the eggs.
7. Put papas to frying pan and cook till caramel brown all around the papa. Depending on size of pan you could cook three to four papa rellenas at a time.
8. Use up all of your potato dough and use left over meat for another meal.
9. We have made papa rellenas the night before and reheat them at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: RECIPES

Post by Tuly »

I have worked in our stake primary with Nancy, Bob Bramwell's niece, she gave me the recipe for Bob Bramwell's Sticky Orange Rolls ( as Bob wrote it) -

In seperate bowl with electric mixer - Beat, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 square margarine (we used butter, by square we think he is referring to stick?)
2 teaspoons salt. Add 2 cups scalded milk, and beat till margarine is dissolved - cool to lukewarm and add 3 yeast cakes, beat until yeast is dissolved. Gradually add 7 cups of flour (let rise 1 hour). Divide dough into 6 parts, pat into circle (1/4 inch thick). Spread each circle with 1/6 cup of "sauce" . Cut like a pie with fold starting at point. Place in well greased baking pan and let rise for 45 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees until deep golden brown.
"Sauce" - 1 and 1/2 cup sugar, 1 and 1/2 square margarine (Again we use butter), grated rind of 1 orange - mix together, let stand while bread is rising. Spread 1/6 cup of this sauce on each round of dough.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I plan to put these recipes in the recipes section eventually. This is the recipe for Spiced Coating for Nuts - this recipe brings many fond memories of Christmas past.

1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup (Karo)
1/8 teaspoon salt + couple drops red food coloring (optional)
6 cut up marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon oil of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups nuts

Stir together water, sugar, corn syrup, salt and food coloring bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat; boil for about 5 minutes (soft ball) stirring constantly. Add marshmallows and stir till melted. Add oil of cinnamon, vanilla, stir, then add nuts. Separate on waxed paper and allow to cool. Work quickly.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So excited for Margaret to be cooking Papa Rellenas for this coming Christmas :reindeer: :santa: