General Conference

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Re: General Conference

Post by Ian »

the church has always been involved in politics. here are recent examples:
Church Statement Issued Friday, February 5, 2016

As we have said during previous legislative sessions, there are a number of potential impacts that must be considered in any discussion about the legalization of medical marijuana, including balancing medical need with the necessity of responsible controls.

Along with others, we have expressed concern about the unintended consequences that may accompany the legalization of medical marijuana. We have expressed opposition to [SB 73] because of that concern. We are raising no objection to the other bill that addresses this issue.
Church Statement Issued Friday, February 12, 2016

While we are not in a position to evaluate specific medical claims, the Church understands that there are some individuals who may benefit from the medical use of compounds found in marijuana. For that reason, although the Church opposes SB 73, it has raised no objection to SB 89. These two competing pieces of legislation take very different approaches when it comes to issues like access, distribution, control and the potential harm of the hallucinogenic compound, THC.

In addition to the therapeutic, treatment, and control questions, there are several other important issues to be resolved. At the forefront is that the use of medical marijuana is still illegal under federal law. We agree with groups such as the American Medical Association, who have said... that further study is warranted before significant public policy decisions on marijuana are advanced. For these reasons, the Church urges a cautious approach.
Church Statement Issued Monday, February 22, 2016

In our view, the issue for the Utah Legislature is how to enable the use of marijuana extracts to help people who are suffering, without increasing the likelihood of misuse at a time when drug abuse in the United States is at epidemic proportions, especially among youth. Recent changes to SB 73 are a substantial improvement. We continue to urge legislators to take into account the acknowledged need for scientific research in this matter and to fully address regulatory controls on manufacture and distribution for the health and safety of all Utahns.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Looking forward to General Conference coming up. I love this counsel from President Eyring's Ensign article - April 2016 - Prophecy and Personal Revelation

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/04/prop ... n?lang=eng
Years ago one of the members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles asked me to read a conference talk he was preparing for general conference. I was a junior member of the quorum. I was honored by his confidence that I might help him find the words the Lord would have him speak. He said to me with a smile, “Oh, this is the 22nd draft of the talk.”

I remembered the counsel a loving and kind President Harold B. Lee (1899–1973) had given me earlier with great emphasis: “Hal, if you want to get revelation, do your homework.”

I read, pondered, and prayed over that 22nd draft. I studied as best I could under the influence of the Holy Ghost. By the time that quorum member gave his talk, I had done my homework. I am not sure I helped, but I know that I was changed when I heard the talk given. Messages came to me far beyond the words that I had read and that he spoke. The words had greater meaning than the ones I had read in the draft. And the message seemed to be meant for me, fitted to my needs.

The servants of God fast and pray to receive the message He has for them to give to those who need revelation and inspiration. What I learned from that experience, and many others like it, is that to gain the great benefits available from hearing living prophets and apostles, we must pay the price ourselves of receiving revelation.

The Lord loves every person who might hear His message, and He knows the hearts and circumstances of each one. He knows what correction, what encouragement, and what gospel truth will best help each person to choose his or her way along the path to eternal life.

We who listen to and watch the messages of general conference sometimes think afterward, “What do I remember best?” The Lord’s hope for each of us is that our answer will be: “I will never forget the moments when I felt the voice of the Spirit in my mind and heart telling me what I could do to please my Heavenly Father and the Savior.”

We can receive that personal revelation when we hear prophets and apostles and as we work in faith to receive it, just as President Lee said we could. I know that is true from experience and by the witness of the Spirit.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

We are in the beginning of a heat wave over here and very much looking forward to General Conference. The women and girls have been already treated to great talks to come with yesterdays
General Women's Session - Looking forward to General Conference titles, you all, by Tuesday morning or sooner.
I Will Bring the Light of the Gospel into My Home

Jean B. Bingham
First Counselor in the Primary General Presidency

Our obligation and privilege is to embrace improvement in everyone as we strive to become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ. …

As sisters (and brothers) in Zion, will we commit to “all work together … to do whatsoever is gentle and human, to cheer and to bless in [the Savior’s] name”? [“As Sisters in Zion,” Hymns, no. 309; emphasis added]. Can we, with love and high hopes, look for and embrace the beauties in others, allowing and encouraging progress? Can we rejoice in the accomplishments of others while continuing to work toward our own improvement?

Yes, we can bring the light of the gospel into our homes, schools, and workplaces if we look for and share positive things about others and let the less-than-perfect fade away. What gratitude fills my heart when I think of the repentance that our Savior, Jesus Christ, has made possible for all of us who have inevitably sinned in this imperfect and sometimes difficult world! I bear my witness that as we follow His perfect example, we can receive the gift of charity, which will bring us great joy in this life and the promised blessing of eternal life with our Father in Heaven.

Carole M. Stephens The Master Healer

Carole M. Stephens
First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency

I often meet Latter-day Saint women who are desperate for help, yet they do not turn to the One who can provide everlasting help. Too often they seek for understanding by searching “the great and spacious building” [1 Nephi 11:36].

As we increase our understanding of the doctrine of Christ, we soon discover that we are developing a deeper understanding of “the great plan of happiness” [Alma 42:8]. We also recognize that our Savior, Jesus Christ, is at the very heart of the plan. …

… Our faith in Jesus Christ enables us to meet any challenge.

We, in fact, often find our faith deepened and our relationship with Heavenly Father and His Son refined in adversity. Let me share three examples.

First, the Savior, the Master Healer, has power to change our hearts and give us permanent relief from the sorrow caused by our own sins. …

Second, the Master Healer can comfort and strengthen us when we experience pain because of the unrighteous actions of others. …

Third, the Master Healer can comfort and sustain us as we experience painful “realities of mortality,” such as disaster, mental illness, disease, chronic pain, and even death. …

I testify that—

You don’t have to continue to carry the burden of sorrow caused by sin—alone.

You don’t have to carry the pain caused by the unrighteous actions of others—alone.

You don’t have to experience the painful realities of mortality—alone. …

“[He] would do anything to take this from you.” In fact, “[He] already has.”
Bonnie L. Oscarson Rise Up in Strength, Sisters in Zion

Bonnie L. Oscarson
Young Women General President

I believe with all of my heart that we sisters … have the innate strength and the faith that will allow us to meet the challenges of living in these last days. …

It will take concerted effort to be converted and to keep our covenants. To do so, we need to be girls and women who study the essential doctrines of the gospel and have an unshakable testimony of their truthfulness. There are three areas I believe are foundational to strong testimonies and that I consider to be essential to our understanding.

First, we need to acknowledge the centrality of God our Eternal Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, to our faith and salvation. …

Second, we need to understand the need for the restoration of the doctrine, organization, and keys of authority in these latter days. …

And third, we need to study and understand temple ordinances and covenants. …

Sisters, even the very youngest in this audience can rise up in faith and play a significant role in building the kingdom of God. …

All women need to see themselves as essential participants in the work of the priesthood. Women in this Church are presidents, counselors, teachers, member"

"I worry that we live in such an atmosphere of avoiding offense that we sometimes altogether avoid teaching correct principles. We fail to teach our young women that preparing to be a mother is of utmost importance because we don’t want to offend those who aren’t married, those who can’t have children, or to be seen as stifling future choices. On the other hand, we may also fail to emphasize the importance of education because we don’t want to send the message that it is more important than marriage. We avoid declaring that our Heavenly Father defines marriage as being between a man and woman because we don’t want to offend those who experience same-sex attraction. And we may find it uncomfortable to discuss gender issues or healthy sexuality.
"Certainly, sisters, we need to use sensitivity, but let us also use our common sense and our understanding of the plan of salvation to be bold and straightforward when it comes to teaching our children and youth the essential gospel principles they must understand to navigate the world in which they live. If we don’t teach our children and youth true doctrine—and teach it clearly—the world will teach them Satan’s lies." s of councils, sisters, and mothers, and the kingdom of God cannot function unless we rise up and fulfill our duties with faith. Sometimes we just need to have a greater vision of what is possible. …

… I pray that we may all see our true potential to rise up to become the women of faith and courage our Father in Heaven needs us to be."

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf - Fourth Floor, Last Door

The purpose of faith is not to change God’s will but to empower us to act on God’s will. Faith is trust—trust that God sees what we cannot and that He knows what we do not. Sometimes, trusting our own vision and judgment is not enough. …

Faith means that we trust not only in God’s wisdom but that we trust also in His love. It means trusting that God loves us perfectly, that everything He does—every blessing He gives and every blessing He, for a time, withholds—is for our eternal happiness.

With this kind of faith, though we may not understand why certain things happen or why certain prayers go unanswered, we can know that in the end everything will make sense. …

Until then, we walk by whatever faith we have, seeking always to increase our faith. Sometimes, this is not an easy quest. Those who are impatient, uncommitted, or careless may find faith to be elusive. Those who are easily discouraged or distracted may hardly experience it. Faith comes to the humble, the diligent, the enduring.

It comes to those who pay the price of faithfulness. …

In our search for enduring faith, in our quest to connect with God and His purposes, let us remember the Lord’s promise: “Knock, and it shall be opened unto you” [Matthew 7:7]. …

God “rewards those who earnestly seek him” [Hebrews 11:6], but that reward is not usually behind the first door. So we need to keep knocking. Sisters, don’t give up. Seek God with all your heart. Exercise faith. Walk in righteousness.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This website has everything you want to know about General Conference. Here is advice on how to prepare for General Conference.

https://mormonhub.com/blog/faith/lds-co ... onference/

One of the key methods for preparing for General Conference is through personal study. Each day leading up to General Conference we can take time apart to study and ponder quietly what past Prophets have spoken. The time spent in personal study is sacred and beneficial to our spiritual readiness for General Conference.

Here are a few resources to study that can help us prepare:

Study Previous Conference Talks: One great resource to study is previous Conference talks, either from the most recent Conference or Conference’s past. Studying topics and themes from previous sessions can prepare us for what may come in the newest session of General Conference. This type of study can help us know what topics we want to try to listen for. Previous Conference talks also put us in the right spiritual mindset of the Conference season.
Study Current Ensigns: Another good option is to study the Current Ensigns. Oftentimes the themes and topics present in the articles found throughout the Ensign can help us know what may come during General Conference. The Ensign is also filled with real stories and experiences from other faithful Church members. This type of study can help us find what concerns we may want to seek help for in the upcoming General Conference.
Read the Holy Scriptures: And most importantly we can study The Holy Scriptures as we prepare for General Conference. The Scriptures are the direct word of God that was preserved for our modern day. They are directed to us from God and the Prophets of old. If there is one text that can help open our hearts and minds and put us in the spirit of Conference it is The Scriptures.
Personal study and pondering would never be complete without including prayer. By speaking with our Lord and Father we have a direct connection to heaven. Here are a few tips for prayerful study leading up to conference:

Begin Study With Prayer: We can begin our study sessions with a prayer to ask for guidance and to seek for answers. By seeking the Lord’s aid before we begin, we can better prepare our specific questions for General Conference.
Keep a Prayer in Our Hearts While We Study: During our studies we can keep a prayer in our minds and hearts to help guide us. By doing this we can gain help in understanding the Lord’s will through the words on the page and the thoughts created in our mind. There are times where I’ve even stopped in the middle of study to kneel and pray. During the study session I prayerfully prepare my list of potential questions and desires for General Conference.
Finish Study With Prayer: When we finish our studies, then we can fall to our knees in prayer once again to humbly seek guidance from the Lord. We can ask him to help us find answers to the questions we prepared for Conference.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

this is an interesting website: lds general conference corpus. i believe it was developed at byu (same website as corpus.byu.edu/gc). here you can search general conference talks from 1851 to the present. it can also be used to analyze word usage and frequency. this seems useful to me, especially for the search capability. i wish i knew about this before. does anyone know of a better place to search general conference talks?
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I love that site and use it all the time—apologies for not having shared it. Everyone knows about the LDS Scripture Citation Index, right? Hmm, I'll have to think about what other resources I use that I take for granted.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have been compiling these April General conference 2017 questions from past Ensign magazines.
How did you guys do? without looking at the answers.
Who Said This?

Match the following quotes to the conference speaker.

1. “‘Come as you are,’ a loving Father says to each of us, but He adds, ‘Don’t plan to stay as you are.’” ______________________
2. “Each of us can trust in the Lord and lean not.” ______________________
3. “When we ‘inhale’ the praise of others, that praise will be our compensation.” ______________________
4. “Out of the well of integrity springs an empowered, sin-resistant generation.” ______________________
Answers: 1. Jeffrey R. Holland; 2. Bonnie H. Cordon; 3. Dieter F. Uchtdorf; 4. Joy D. Jones
Fill in the Blank

Use the May 2017 issue or visit conference.lds.org to read more of what these speakers said.

1. “Overcoming the world is not one defining moment in a lifetime, but a lifetime of moments that define an _________.” —Neil L. Andersen, “Overcoming the World.”
2. “An assignment to labor in a specific _________ is essential and important but secondary to a call to the work.” —David A. Bednar, “Called to the Work.”
3. “In the eyes of God, there is no __________ in the kingdom that is more important than another.” —Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “The Greatest among You.”
4. “Seeking the __________ is in our spiritual DNA.” —Mark A. Bragg, “Brighter and Brighter until the Perfect Day.”
Answers: (1) eternity, (2) place, (3) calling, (4) light
Who Said This?

1. “A repenting sinner draws closer to God than does the self-righteous person who condemns that sinner.” ___________________
2. “The motivation for raising the warning voice is love—love of God and love of fellowman. To warn is to care.” ___________________
3. “If love of God is the melody of our shared song, surely our common quest to obey Him is the indispensable harmony in it.” ___________________
4. “It used to be a rare but welcome exception for youth to bring the names of their own ancestors to the temple. Now this is the norm.” ___________________
Answers: (1) Dale G. Renlund, (2) D. Todd Christofferson, (3) Jeffrey R. Holland, (4) Henry B. Eyring
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Again very much looking forward to General Conference and to the titles submissions of all, including grandchildren - deadline will be Tuesday, October 3rd. I take to heart Elder Scott's advice -

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/richard- ... happiness/
“For you to obtain the maximum benefit from our time together, I suggest that you carefully write down any impressions that come to you. They are personalized messages from the Lord, sent through the Holy Ghost for your guidance.” Elder Richard G. Scot
In order to make the most of the counsel given to us in General Conference - I'm changing our annual goal list to a semi-annual goals, that you are all welcome to post in the private section. I have books of notes taken during General Conference, however I feel I need to be more pro active by adding the specific counsel on my goals list.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This just out - http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/g ... april-2018
In a message sent to Church leadership and to be read in worship services throughout the world, the Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced changes for future general conferences.
The letter states that "beginning in April 2018, the general women's session will no longer be held on the Saturday preceding the other sessions of general conference. Rather, the general priesthood and general women's sessions will each be held annually, with the general priesthood session being in April and the general women's session being in October." It continues, "These meetings will originate from the Conference Center on Saturday evening following the morning and afternoon sessions of the conference."
According to the letter, consolidating general conference sessions into one weekend furthers Church efforts "of reducing and simplifying the work of the Church and the demands made upon leaders and members."
Take away from this - support changes from the Council of the first Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I'm very much looking forward to a solemn assembly this coming General Conference -
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/solemn-assembly
I have participated in many solemn assemblies, even though I have not been literally present at the tabernacle or the conference center, I have felt that my sustaining vote mattered and it does matter that we participate in a solemn assembly.
Solemn Assembly
A solemn assembly is a sacred meeting held by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, most often at a general conference after a new Church president begins his service. In these meetings, Latter-day Saints around the world gather to show support for the new Church president and others included in the Church’s worldwide governing body including general membership from age 8 and older.

The Doctrine and Covenants, a collection of foundational revelations in the Mormon canon, contains several references of God asking Church members to “call your solemn assemblies” (Doctrine and Covenants 133:6). These meetings are held, in part, to follow the teaching that “all things shall be done by common consent in the church, by much prayer and faith” (Doctrine and Covenants 26:2).

Common consent in the Church is an agreement among the members and leaders of a congregation, local or worldwide, regarding proposed assignments given to people within that congregation. Individuals choose to accept an assignment, and fellow members then have the chance to show support for that decision. A form of congregational common consent was practiced in biblical times, as found in the book of Exodus, when Moses “told the people all the words of the Lord” and “the people answered with one voice” (Exodus 24:3).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Looking forward to General Conference - Saturday, October 6th to Sunday, October 7th. We have a neighbor that will be joining us for the morning session of General Conference tomorrow. This talk by Elder Paul Johnson - The Blessings of General Conference - this quote is worth repeating.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d_fragment_
Decide now to make general conference a priority in your life. Decide to listen carefully and follow the teachings that are given. Listen to or read the talks more than once to better understand and follow the counsel. By doing these things, the gates of hell will not prevail against you, the powers of darkness will be dispersed from before you, and the heavens will shake for your good.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Once again my heart is full for the gratitude I feel after just hearing General Conference these past few days. Please take the time to re-listen to these talks that are inspiring and a clear direction for each of us in these latter days. God is in the details of our lives, of each of us. He does not exclude anyone, please think about this...He does not exclude anyone, we might but He does not.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/gen ... e?lang=eng
John

Post by John »

In light of both the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic and the current restoration/reconstruction of the Salt Lake Temple, I was deeply moved just now by President Nelson's reiteration from the closing paragraphs of its Dedicatory prayer:

"Heavenly Father, when Thy people shall not have the opportunity of entering this holy house to offer their supplications unto Thee, and they are oppressed and in trouble, surrounded by difficulties or assailed by temptation and shall turn their faces towards this Thy holy house and ask Thee for deliverance, for help, for Thy power to be extended in their behalf, we beseech Thee, to look down from Thy holy habitation in mercy and tender compassion upon them, and listen to their cries. Or when the children of Thy people, in years to come, shall be separated, through any cause, from this place, and their hearts shall turn in remembrance of Thy promises to this holy Temple, and they shall cry unto Thee from the depths of their affliction and sorrow to extend relief and deliverance to them, we humbly entreat Thee to Turn Thine ear in mercy to them; hearken to their cries, and grant unto them the blessings for which they ask.

Almighty Father, increase within us the powers of that faith delivered to and possessed by Thy Saints. Strengthen us by the memories of the glorious deliverances of the past, by the remembrance of the sacred covenants that Thou hast made with us, so that, when evil overshadows us, when trouble encompasses us, when we pass through the valley of humiliation, we may not falter, may not doubt, but in the strength of Thy Holy name may accomplish all Thy righteous purposes with regard to us, fill the measure of our creation, and triumph gloriously, by Thy grace, over every besetting sin, be redeemed from every evil, and be numbered in the kingdom of heaven amongst those who shall dwell in Thy presence forever."

I know that we are led by true prophets.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have loved this article by Elder Bednar on the patterns to watch for when listening to General Conference. I actually have been using this pattern and find it very effective when studying General conference talks.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... newsletter
Learn Elder Bednar’s pattern for studying conference messages — doctrine, invitations, blessings
Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sits down for an interview at the Relief Society building on Temple Square in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021.

By Scott Taylor
Updated
25 MAR 2021
12:00 PM MDT
Doctrine taught. Invitations to act. Promised blessings.

Identifying and applying the pattern of those three connected elements can bless individuals as they prepare for, listen to and study messages from Apostles and Prophets given during general conference, said Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

“The basic pattern is to identify the fundamental doctrine or principle that is being taught, find invitations to act related to that doctrine or principle, and then also recognize the promised blessings that will come as we act in accordance with that invitation,” he said.

In an interview leading up to the 191st Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder Bednar recalled earlier Church presidents — including President Harold B. Lee and President Spencer W. Kimball — teaching that conference messages should serve as an important guide in our lives until the next general conference.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Change is good and takes time. After more than 15-years we have stooped turning in General Conference titles, I loved every minute of that experience. But now we are moving forward. Some of you might know that I base my personal goals for the next 6 months from the direction given in General Conference. I would love to share some of my favorite General Conference talks for April 2023 -

Finding Personal Peace - President Eyring -
The Lord loved us enough to pay the price of our sins so that we can—through our faith in Him and our repentance, through the effects of His Atonement—have the gift of the peace that “passeth all understanding,” in this life and with Him eternally.
Your Patriarchal Blessing—Inspired Direction from Heavenly Father - Elder Bennett -
Cherishing my patriarchal blessing while I was young blessed me with courage when I was discouraged, comfort when I was fearful, peace when I felt anxious, hope when I felt hopeless, and joy when I needed it most. My patriarchal blessing helped increase my faith and trust in my Heavenly Father and my Savior. It also increased my love for Them—and it still does.
Peacemakers Needed - President Nelson -
Today I invite you to examine your discipleship within the context of the way you treat others. I bless you to make any adjustments that may be needed so that your behavior is ennobling, respectful, and representative of a true follower of Jesus Christ