El Cid

All registered users can post here.
Oh! Susanna

El Cid

Post by Oh! Susanna »

Hmm...too iffy. Actually, I really do need help, since I really don't know how or why I got this particular assignment and I'm not feeling particularly creative. I have to write the character education curriculum for Rennaisance Academy (the charter school that my kids are going to). Any and all suggestions for historical mentors or heros (same thing kind of, I guess) and values I could attribute to them, quotes, related activities and homework assignments, games, facts, whatever, are oh so welcome! Or even just suggestions of good websites to look at. The heros don't have to be Arabic, we just thought it might be nice to have one since Arabic is one of the three foreign languages offered at our school (actually, since Spanish is one of the others, El Cid might just work). Once my own family finally gets a website for us up and running I'll bug them too.
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

How about the prophet Mohammed? How many names do you want? I know there are some Arabic mathematicians who did important work; that would be kinda cool. There's a whole bunch of them named in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_mathematics
Un oeuf is enough.
John

Post by John »

I'm not sure if we would want to elevate him to the status of hero, but if my impressions are right, the Arabs seem to have been quite taken with "Lawrence". Would he count? And what is the third language being taught, Suzy? ...er, Susy? ...er ...Soozee? Well how mortifying not to be remembering how you spell it. Please educate.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Edward

Post by Edward »

Unfortunately Dad neither El Cid nor Lawrence of Arabia would fall under the catagory of Arab heroes. El Cid was a Moore, and the Moores, while Arab, are usually catagorized as part of Iberian culture, despite their Arab religion and descent. He's generally considered in Spanish history rather than in the history of the Arabs. As far as Lawrence, well, they may like him but being a hero to the Arabs isn't being an Arab hero. Muhammed is a good suggestion as are many of their scientists, physicians, and educators. I'm sure you can find some.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
John

Post by John »

Yeah, I thought so too.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Steve

Post by Steve »

Edward: As far as Lawrence, well, they may like him but being a hero to the Arabs isn't being an Arab hero.
So is Superman not an American hero? Shucks.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

I dunno--I'm sure he was a US citizen. Even if not he's still a hero to Americans and a symbol of truth, justice, and the American way. He sure is my hero, even if he is a visitor from another world.

Back to the thread though (sorry!) I don't know any major Arabs since I've never studied Middle Eastern history.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2: