How Much Should You Give Away?

All registered users can post here.
Oh! Susanna

Post by Oh! Susanna »

By the way, I think the fact that you said "they're just missing out" is very telling about your attitude towards wealthy people. Oops. I said I was done.
Oh! Susanna

Post by Oh! Susanna »

Okay, I probably went too far with those last two posts, sorry.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ian said: i don't think it matters too much whether or not someone feels guilty for living a lavish lifestyle. they're just missing out.
Actually, Oh! Susanna (if that IS your real name hehehe), in Ian's defense, he did specifically use the word "lavish." That would denote profusion or excess.

This is an interesting discussion that's taking a direction I never intended in posing the question. I think it's clear that we should all share our blessings freely, in whatever form they manifest themselves. The heart of this question boils down to what is necessary in this life (ie. the part that gets confusing).

We buy movie tickets, ice cream cones, board games, DVDs, and bandwidth. We choose sports cars over budget-economy vehicles, steak instead of cheap beef, airline tickets instead of seats on a Greyhound. We buy live Christmas trees instead of fake ones, sofas in place of folding chairs, houses instead of apartments.

We go to baseball games, carnivals, and concerts, and we do so in outfits purchased to replace ones we tire of.

There isn't anyone here who is so frugal or charitable that they have not indulged in some form of diversion, luxury, or recreation. Does that make them any less compassionate or charitable?

Since this thread's inception, the answer to my question becomes increasingly clear. If discussions such as these make us feel a sense of guilt or spiritual warning, perhaps it would be well for us to evaluate our lifestyles. Otherwise, we should continue to pursue a habit of selflessness where priorities rest with others instead of ourselves. Then we won't feel bad next time we buy tickets to that football game...after all, President Monson is probably just a few seats over.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Oh! Susanna

Post by Oh! Susanna »

I wholeheartedly agree and I regret having gotten too inflammatory. I really did start out just trying to answer the question practically since I thought our perspective was relevant.

But as I said before, it is a touchy subject for me, having had abundance just dropped into my lap since Patrick's graduation from law school, and being the only one among my family and extended family and friends for a little while to be blessed with so much financially, it's hard not to be affected by other people's perceived opinions, even when one does try to live by the spirit.

Getting over the guilt of spending money when you've never had much to spend in the past is easier said than done; people (especially women) can feel guilty about many things that they don't need to feel guilty about.

Spiritual warnings are another thing and should definitely be heeded.

Everybody has a touchy subject, I guess. Again, I'm sorry that I got so nasty Ian. Can we still be cousins?

Steve-It really is Susanna, by the way-I'm another one of Aunt Betsy's many children. We've met :D (but one can't be expected to remember everybody they meet when they're getting married, I certainly don't).

I'm really going to get back to those grown-up responsibilities now. Actually I think I'll go to bed.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

like it or not, we're all just a bunch of rich americans.
:djparty:
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

by the way, for future reference, we do have an emoticon with a monkey sticking his tongue out:

:monkeytongue:

we here at huntingtonfamily.org are continuously striving to satisfy all of your emoticon needs. if you would like to submit a request, please feel free to contact us, via email, at mail@huntingtonfamily.org.
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

"like it or not, we're all just a bunch of rich americans."

You're right, and I like it--it's one of the blessings for which I am the very most thankful.
Un oeuf is enough.
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

I recall Brigham Young quoted to the effect of urging the Saints to gobble up all the money and power they can, and use it for good.

(I should find the reference, of course).

Occasional (or even frequent) luxurious indulgences do a family good. The family is the core unit of the Kingdom of God. Build the Kingdom. Amen.

The Lord says it is hard for a fat man to pass through an eye. I don't see that as an urging away from wealth, but a warning that wealth is a burden that can open a man up to all sorts of worldly temptations. If a warning that something would be hard is a suggestion to avoid anything that would lead to such difficulty, I'd never have signed up for this planet. And life on this planet is pretty darn hard. I'd even say it's like hell. Downright telestial.

And if it's hard for a fat man to enter the Kingdom, recall that nothing is too hard for the Lord :)

I personally view giving away anything beyond necessity to mean anything beyond what would help my family live an abundant life.

Not that we are living abundantly. Ask my wife ;)
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
John

Post by John »

A reminder: Discussion on this website is encouraged (see "forum policy" thread). Vigorous debate is welcome. We don't want to alienate anyone from participation. But alienating language will need to be excised. Opinions should be offered and views should be expressed in language that conforms to our family's culture and standards. K? :aragorn:
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i should have accounted for that possibility... but the filter has now been updated (certain words will be automatically changed by the filter).
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

To help me in my effort not to use alienating language, could you be a little more specific? Have the offending words already been altered/excised? Oh wait--did you mean the reference to Satan's realm in Alex's post? If so, I understand the objection to the use of that word as an expletive, but wouldn't have known it would offend in its literal sense.
Un oeuf is enough.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

the offensive word has been changed to "darn" by the newly-updated filter. i think we're all ok w/ references to satan's realm, when used in that context. (although i kind of like saying "satan's realm," it sounds kind of cool, in a weird way... but don't read into that.... oh forget it).
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

But come now, mother. Thou knowest of my propensity for raking mud. Yes, my da_n and he__ may have been strictly contextual, referring to our mortal existence as heck compared to heaven (for the scripture saith a telestial state is darn-nation) - yet how too emphatic were my words! And though I laughed as I wrote them, knowing them strictly harmless YET offensive, so shall it be rendered to my conscience for a devilish rationalization.

Nevertheless, may it be known still that my three favorite lines in BACK TO THE FUTURE were Doc looking at three different watches and uttering the less mild version of "Darn! Darn! Darn!"

:offtopic:
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

"the offensive word has been changed to "darn" by the newly-updated filter. i think we're all ok w/ references to satan's realm, when used in that context. (although i kind of like saying "satan's realm," it sounds kind of cool, in a weird way... but don't read into that.... oh forget it)."

lol--thanks
Un oeuf is enough.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Merciful wilikers this thread caught fire, huh? Here's my two cents--I can't wait for the law of consecration. Money is dumb; thank heavens it's not an eternal principle ha ha ha! Using it frivolously is idle, being stingy is selfish, and charity never faileth. I like the quote president Monson always uses:

Scrooge: "...making money was your business."

Marley: "Mankind should have been my business!"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2: