Classical Music

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Classical Music

Post by Ian »

i wasn't sure whether to post this in the poetry forum, but i wanted to post the text to the fourth movement of beethoven's 9th symphony which was discussed earlier in this thread.

first in the original german:
O Freunde, nicht diese Toene!
Sondern lasst uns angenehmere anstimmen und freundenvollere!

Freude, schoener Goetterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische dein Heiligtum.
Deine Zauber binden wieder,
Was die Mode streng geteilt;
Alle Menschen werden Brueder,
Wo dein sanfter Fluegel weilt.

Wem der grosse Wurf gelungen,
Eines Freundes Freund zu sein,
Wer ein holdes Weib errungen,
Mische seine Jubel ein!
Ja - wer auch nur eine Seele
Sein nennt auf dem Erdenrund!
Und wer's nie gekonnt, der stehle
Weinend sich aus diesem Bund!

Freude trinken alle Wesen
An den Bruesten der Natur,
Alle Guten, alle Boesen
Folgen ihre Rosenspur.
Kuesse gab sie uns und Reben,
Einen Freund, geprueft im Tod,
Wollust ward dem Wurm gegeben,
Und der Cherub steht vor Gott.

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
Durch das Himmels praecht'gen Plan,
Laufet, Brueder, eure Bahn,
Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen.

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!
Brueder - ueberm Sternenzelt
Muss ein lieber Vater wohnen.

Ihr stuerzt nieder, Millionen?
Ahnest du den Schoepfer, Welt?
Such ihn ueberm Sternenzelt,
Ueber Sternen muss er wohnen.
now in english (translation from http://edboyden.org/beet9.html):
O friends! Not these sounds!
But let us strike up more pleasant sounds and more joyful!

Joy, o wondrous spark divine,
Daughter of Elysium,
Drunk with fire now we enter,
Heavenly one, your holy shrine.
Your magic powers join again
What fashion strictly did divide;
Brotherhood unites all men
Where your gentle wing's spread wide.

The man who's been so fortunate
To become the friend of a friend,
The man who has won a fair woman -
To the rejoicing let him add his voice.
The man who calls but a single soul
Somewhere in the world his own!
And he who never managed this -
Let him steal forth from our throng!

Joy is drunk by every creature
From Nature's fair and charming breast;
Every being, good or evil,
Follows in her rosy steps.
Kisses she gave to us, and vines,
And one good friend, tried in death;
The serpent she endowed with base desire
And the cherub stands before God.

Gladly as His suns do fly
Through the heavens' splendid plan,
Run now, brothers, your own course,
Joyful like a conquering hero

Embrace each other now, you millions!
The kiss is for the whole wide world!
Brothers - over the starry firmament
A beloved Father must surely dwell.

Do you come crashing down, you millions?
Do you sense the Creators presence, world?
Seek Him above the starry firmament,
For above the stars he surely dwells.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Birthday Tchaikovsky!!! - who does not love and appreciate his many works. On of my favorites is his Piano Concerto #1.
Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky
Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky in Geneva, 1889
(1840 - 1893)

Piotr Ilyitch (Pyotr Il'yich) Tchaikovsky (May 7, 1840 - November 6, 1893) was born in Kamsko-Votkinsk, in the western Ural Vyatka province of Russia. He studied law in St. Petersburg and took music classes at the St. Petersburg Conservatory. There his teachers included the Russian composer and pianist Anton Rubinstein, from whom Tchaikovsky subsequently took advanced instruction in orchestration. In 1866 the composer-pianist Nicholas Rubinstein, Anton's brother, obtained for Tchaikovsky the post of teacher of harmony at the Moscow Conservatory. There the young composer met the dramatist Aleksandr Nikolayevich Ostrovsky, who wrote the libretto for Tchaikovsky's first opera, The Voyevoda (1868). From this period also date his operas Undine (1869) and The Oprichnik (1872), the Piano Concerto #1 in B Flat minor (1875), the symphonies #1 (called "Winter Dreams", 1868), #2 (1873, subsequently revised and titled "Little Russian"), and #3 (1875), and the overture Romeo and Juliet (1870). The first Piano Concerto was dedicated originally to Nicholas Rubinstein, who pronounced it unplayable. Deeply injured, Tchaikovsky made extensive alterations in the work and dedicated it instead to the German pianist Hans Guido von Bulow, who rewarded the courtesy by performing the concerto on the occasion of his first concert tour of the United States (1875-76). Rubinstein later acknowledged the merit of the revised composition and made it a part of his own repertoire. Well known for its dramatic first movement and skillful use of folk-like melodies, it subsequently became one of the most frequently played of all piano concertos.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Good old KUSC has this website for children.

http://www.classicalkusc.org/kids/famil ... /index.asp
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

Ian, thanks for that wonderful translation (posted quite some time ago.. indeed.. and I missed it). I'd like to dig up the (also wonderful) translation, which I am more partial to, accompanying the performance I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I started a new topic but then saw the post might better fit here, so here it is:

I am getting back into developing my tenor singing voice. (Even just doing the Sbriglia-Porpora Bel Canto vocalizes my teacher gives me; this does wonders.) Choosing works to develop with and recite is a weak point for me, and the right material motivates practice.

So, broadly: what are some of y'all's favorite tenor works? Any purpose. Art songs will be dismissed with prejudice barring compelling testimony. If it matters, my range is low baritone (??) to high C; developing up to E. :gandalf4:

John, I know you've a friend out thar who arranges wonderful hymnal piano accompaniments. :worship: How do I ask permission to copy and use any of those? :pirate:
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have always enjoyed the tenor arias by Verdi especially the one from Aida - Celestial Aida. There is always Turandot's - Nessun Dorma. There are also some beautiful folk songs that I feel were made for tenors - O Danny Boy, The Water is Wide, All Through the Night, The Ash Grove, etc.
Our dear friends the Stewarts are planning on creating a website with their music becoming available. We will keep you posted. Good to hear from you Alex. I enjoyed seeing Tia last week at our concert.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

So I was listening to my favorite radio station KUSC and they played -

Karol Szymanowski: String Quartet #1 in C Op 37

I always talk about classical music that I like/love and get specific. Now it is time to get specific on classical music that I do not like. To me this is an example of classical music that frankly I find disturbing, down right annoying. :disappointed:
Edward

Post by Edward »

So, random question. What is everybody's favorite Beethoven symphony, and why?

:D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Beethoven's 7th - second movement. I have always loved that beautiful minor key melody.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Today Sunday the 9th of December. KUSC played at around 4:20pm ( pacific time) three carols from the Mormon Chorale Organization's new CD O Holy Night. That was exciting!!
Edward

Post by Edward »

Wow, congrats OCMCO!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

As flattering as that was. I have a hard time feeling special that KUSC played the MCO "O Holy Night" when that same station played the singing dogs version of Jingle Bells. :oops:
Steve

Post by Steve »

For those looking to expand their classical music collections, YourClassical.org (American Public Media's classical arm) offers a free download every weekday. I discovered this offering while listening to their broadcast of the annual Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge on Christmas Eve—one of my absolute favorite traditions around Christmas.

I use an RSS reader (Feedly) to take advantage of the daily feed, but regardless of how you access it, enjoy!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/YourClassicalDailyDownload
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

I love the King's College Program! I have a friend at Cambridge now and he was lucky enough to attend it this year; I wish I could go someday!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Agreed, Edward! It's on my bucket list of things I'd love to do someday.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

So I have a real record player now, and while technology has definitely improved over time, it's pretty cool to get old records for a buck from Goodwill and listen to them. Plus, Dad and I were able to hear the recording of Grandpa and his ward choir singing Faure's Requiem, and while the recording was poor quality, hearing him sing was wonderful - not surprisingly, he had a beautiful voice. And wow, the things I would give to conduct a choir that sounds half as good as that ward choir sounded!

Also this: