Bryn's Music Selections

Post and discuss video clips here.
Bryn

Bryn's Music Selections

Post by Bryn »

For the past while I've wanted to create a thread consisting of some of my musical favorites and interests for everyone's general enlightenment. The posts may include some very general commentary or not. You are all welcome to give any input you wish. This is the first pick.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW9gLP48 ... re=related[/youtube]

To many of you, this will be very familiar. I think it is worthwhile to know at least the rest of the movement, although the whole quartet is very fine. The comments on youtube are kind of funny, too.

By the way, while I was at IU, I would often listen to this piece while doing some busy work. I really liked the recording IU had in their library, and was sad I might not hear it again when I left. Turns out this is the very recording I grew accustomed to. It is a very musical recording. I think the phrases are especially well treated and defined. You can hear the musicians breathing with the music, which I always appreciate.
Widerstehe doch der Sünde
John

Re: Bryn's Music Selections

Post by John »

"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Thanks, Dad. I don't know why I can't get youtube to post.

Anyways, asides from this being a lovely piece of music, it also has a connection to my affinity towards music. Back in the day Jim Svejda's program was called "music 'till two," which started at 10 or 11 pm and ended, as indicated, at 2 am. I remember many late nights spent listening to the radio trying to absorb and remember familiar melodies and motifs. I also remember that at times I could not go to sleep until I heard who the composer of the work was. Even though I do not always agree with Mr. Svejda's opinions, listening to his program has been both educational and enriching.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i remember one time hearing svejda say that the particular recording of this music used for the theme of his program is not publicly available. he thinks he's so cool.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

When I was a kid, I thought his voice would have been perfect for the evil counsellor of some cold-blooded tyrant. Pompous, aloof, intelligent, but boring as all get out. I thought his voice was so oily and arrogant.

Come to think of it, I still think that.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

This is a piece I have been giving a lot of attention to, as it appears on so many orchestral auditions (such as the one I'm preparing for). It is one of my favorites for many different reasons, and this is, I think, a particularly good performance. I have heard this performed by many good orchestras is a less than satisfying way. It must be difficult to get the balances right, because that is usually one of the problems I hear. Those who manage to get the balance right then sometimes lack a certain impact at some parts. This performance manages to do it all right.

Link

The variations starting at 3:18 is the part usually auditioned. Again, this performance has the needed clarity for this section of music.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love Stravinsky's Firebird!!! i think I can listen to it everyday. Is this the whole piece?
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

Amen. Stravinsky's Firebird has been one I've always appreciated, both before I started becoming more familiar with classical music and after. I love it.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

Bryn, can you post the recording of Thus Spoke Zarathustra that you shared with us at Margaret's place? That was wonderful.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2: