Gun Control

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Gun Control

Post by Ian »

i remember when mom became a citizen. she was privileged to take a naturalization oath of allegiance:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

slightly off-topic but funny, hillary clinton tweeted a diagram yesterday, it got a lot of response:
hillary1.jpg
hillary5.jpg
hillary3.jpg
hillary4.jpg
hillary8.jpg
hillary7.jpg
hillary2.jpg
hillary6.jpg
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I am wearing orange today in support of gun violence awareness. "Awareness" because there are still many who do not realize the severity of our country's gun problem.

Read more about it here:

http://wearorange.org/about/
Attachments
orange.jpg
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

thanks for the update. i'm going with the brown belt today, since i'm wearing brown shoes.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I am also in a brown belt and brown shoes today! United we stand! As this lengthy thread readily proves, if we want to "help save lives from gunfire," we'll need to do much more than wear certain colors or talk about amending the Constitution. When is Repentance Awareness Day (RAD) again?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

As this lengthy thread readily proves, if we want to "help save lives from gunfire," we'll need to do much more than wear certain colors or talk about amending the Constitution.
Amen, Steve! We need to be proactive about making our voices heard, and do more than just talk the talk. By both preaching repentance, and being politically active citizens, we can truly instigate a change that is so desperately needed in our country. Things like spending some time familiarizing yourself with the scriptures, talking to people about the gospel, and reaching out to government leaders who make critical decisions in the law making process are great things to do. Follow this link: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ and find your representative to make your opinion known. Representing Utah's 3rd congressional district is congressman Jason Chaffetz. I also plan on contacting mayor Curtis to make sure he is aware of what is being commemorated today.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

yes, and posting narcissistic selfies.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I believe that those who make the time to search, study, and ponder the scriptures (as opposed to merely "familiarizing themselves" with them) will recognize that freedom is of greater value than life. When we are too focused on our brief lives and lose our eternal perspective, we tend to set poor priorities:
Where there is no vision, the people perish...

(Proverbs 29:18)
Surrendering divinely-granted rights for the promise of "safety" and "security" is a dreadful exchange. Even George Lucas knows this:
Palpatine: In order to ensure security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for 10,000 years. An Empire that will continue to be ruled by this august body and a sovereign ruler chosen for life. An Empire ruled by the majority, ruled by a new constitution.

Padme: So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause.

(Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, 2005)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Ian, that's a pretty ironic diagnosis, especially coming from someone who doesn't believe in the psychological sciences.
Edward

Post by Edward »

I think it's important to raise awareness of this issue, which is very real, but I wonder about the change you state is so desperately needed. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that as a nation we have a massive job to do if we are to get back on the right course, but if I am reading correctly, you seem to imply that the change we need most has to do with guns, hence 'gun violence awareness day' (is this even a thing now?). So let me follow this through. Say the streets are filled with orange shirts and skirts and burkas and what have you, and now the nation is aware that gun violence is a thing. What next?

It would seem natural for the nation to take immediate action to remedy the problem, as indeed it should. However, it is impossible to proscribe the best way of doing so because, with the exception of preaching the Word and bringing the people to repentance, there is no sure way of changing this trend. And this is where I get concerned with movements like this. Many groups use this as a vehicle to push their own political agenda; for example, some will make the (false) assertion that if we really care about gun violence, we will act to take guns out of the picture. But others will claim, with just as much research and 'authority,' that guns have nothing to do with it, but rather there needs to be a cultural shift away from glorified violence in the media towards a cultural identity of safety and protective non-violence. And there are who-knows-how-many other ideas and opinions and movements suggesting countless other ways of dealing with the issue.

To be completely honest, I think raising 'awareness' of gun violence is both redundant and beside the point. I believe that as a nation we are in actuality only too acutely aware of the magnitude of violence in our culture; you can't get online or watch the news or read the paper without being bombarded by a million stories of gun violence and the multitudinous interpretations of the ramifications in our society. I think if the clothing of everybody who was actually aware of gun violence already was to magically turn orange today, the streets would look like a Florida orange grove.

Awareness is not the issue here. The whole orange shirt thing isn't going to magically alert the nation to a problem they have never understood before; that's just the attention-getter for those who want to push a specific agenda. No, the issue is change. Specifically, how do we turn the tide of violence in our society in order to protect its people? When we narrow it down to just 'guns,' we are ignorantly assuming that we can fix things by removing things, which is not effective nor possible. Nor legal, for that matter. Now, when you say you want to keep those with mental and emotional impediments from obtaining weapons, I say of course, how could one do otherwise? But you cannot then make the leap from that kind of restriction to making it applicable to the public at large; just because you can keep the deranged from getting firearms does NOT give you the right to keep the sane and functional from getting them by extension. The law of this nation forbids it, and it is a wise law.

So back to the point. You should call this 'day of observance' or whatever by a more honest and accurate title. 'Gun violence awareness' is happening every day thanks to our fear-mongering media. What you are promoting is pro-active anti-gun measures. People are almost sick of hearing about violence all the time; what you want them to know is how you plan to stop it. That is what you consider 'aware.' So what you should do it make a picket sign with something cute like 'GUNS NO FUNS!', find a street corner, and shout 'take away the guns!' or whatever best fits your specific vision. That was the old-school way of raising awareness of an agenda, and it shows a true pro-active zeal that really gets attention. A selfie is cute and all, but nobody is going to see a cheese shirt and say to himself 'by jingo, guns are ruining our society!' nor ask 'golly, why is she wearing orange on this, today of all days?' If you really wanna raise awareness, you gotta hit the pavement sister!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

When we narrow it down to just 'guns,' we are ignorantly assuming that we can fix things by removing things, which is not effective nor possible.
I have more proof that our current legal system around guns is failing, and that gun restriction could work, than you can provide proof that our current system is "working" and that we are somehow more safe by having more guns.
just because you can keep the deranged from getting firearms does NOT give you the right to keep the sane and functional from getting them by extension.
Define "deranged". I want as much information on this as you can give, please. Thanks.
'Gun violence awareness' is happening every day thanks to our fear-mongering media.
Are you saying all the news stories about people getting shot are just exaggerated stories told by the news to promote fear? If you do, then this is exactly the kind of misinformation I am working hard to combat.
If you really wanna raise awareness, you gotta hit the pavement sister!
You know I would. I've done it before, with other issues I care about. You can see Micah in the New York Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/us/ra ... .html?_r=0
there is no sure way of changing this trend
I'll take my chances.
The whole orange shirt thing isn't going to magically alert the nation to a problem they have never understood before; that's just the attention-getter for those who want to push a specific agenda. No, the issue is change.
My agenda is change.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

your agenda is worldly and self-centered, and will lead to disappointment.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

You are wrong.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I was never sure how I could exhort in a way that would move a family toward eternal life without offending or seeming to criticize. I have learned that the only exhortation that changes hearts comes from the Holy Ghost. That occurs most often as we bear testimony of the Savior, who was and is the perfect family member.

(President Henry B. Eyring, Eternal Families, April 2016 General Conference)
I simply say that if we'll humble ourselves (or be humbled), obey the commandments, give heed to the prophets, study the scriptures, repent of our sins, and seek the Lord's will rather than our own, we will know precisely what to do to save lives. Jesus Christ is the model. Article of Faith #3 clearly states how lives may be saved:
We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

(Article of Faith 3)
I testify that He is the Way. He is the solution to our problems. We can kick and fight and expend every ounce of effort in so many different campaigns and agendas, but alas, that energy is best used elsewhere:
Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.

(Doctrine & Covenants 4:2)
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

(Matthew 10:28)
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Nope.

https://www.lds.org/topics/citizenship?lang=eng
Latter-day Saints are encouraged to be informed and participate in civic and political activities, “to be actively engaged in worthy causes to improve their communities and make them wholesome places in which to live and rear families”9 in accordance with the laws of their respective governments. Where possible, this includes a special obligation to seek out, vote for, and uphold leaders who are honest, good, and wise (see D&C 98:10). Likewise, “Church members are encouraged to consider serving in elected or appointed public offices in local and national government” and to “support measures that strengthen the moral fabric of society, particularly those designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.”10

In addition, an interest in the common good can inspire Church members to participate in a variety of activities that improve the communities and nations in which they live.11 The Savior “went about doing good” in the neighborhoods of Judea, Samaria, and Galilee (see Acts 10:38). He cared for the poor and the needy (see Mark 1:32–34). He comforted mourners and those with disabilities (see Matthew 9:27–31; 15:29–31). He attended social events and religious ceremonies (see Mark 2:13–17; John 2:1–11, 23). He socialized with and showed respect for people of different races and cultures (see John 4:4–42). He associated with dignitaries and the noble class as well as with those who were cast out from society (see Matthew 8:1–4; John 4:46–54). A concerned and active citizen today might serve at a local food bank, donate blood, or organize neighborhood gatherings and activities. Simple acts of caring and service for neighbors or communities, such as volunteering in cleanup efforts or serving at hospitals, nursing homes, or convalescing facilities make the community a better place to live. All who can should exercise the right to vote in national and local elections and follow the counsel of the Apostle Paul to pray for the wisdom of civic leaders, “for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty” (1 Timothy 2:1–2).

Elder Quentin L. Cook taught that it is hard “to change society at large, but we must work to improve the moral culture that surrounds us. Latter-day Saints in every country should be good citizens, participate in civic affairs, educate themselves on the issues, and vote.”12 President Thomas S. Monson has encouraged all of us to “be good citizens of the nations in which we live and good neighbors in our communities, reaching out to those of other faiths, as well as to our own,” and to “be men and women of honesty and integrity in everything we do.”13