cooking with alcohol

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

cooking with alcohol

Post by Tuly »

We just had an RS meeting yesterday making marshmallows. We used a special vanilla from Mexico that has rum in its ingredient. Of course we hear don't worry the alcohol will burn off when you cook it. So I have been studying this and apparently it does not fully burn off. So be aware of those RS meetings or well meaning LDS chefs. Yes, I know all vanilla has alcohol, just don't get this special vanilla from Mexico. My research is from Wikipedia, I'm sure you can find better sources.
Alcohol in finished food
A study by a team of researchers at the University of Idaho, Washington State University, and the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods.[1] The results are as follows:

alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from heat: 85% alcohol retained
alcohol flamed: 75% alcohol retained
no heat, stored overnight: 70% alcohol retained
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture: 45% alcohol retained
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture: (see table)
Time (h) Alcohol retained[2]
0.25 40%
0.57 35%
1.1 25%
1.6 20%
2.0 10%
2.6 5.0%
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ann

Re: cooking with alcohol

Post by Ann »

We use extracts (like almond extract) on occasion in our baking for flavoring. I thought all of these had alcohol in them. I had not considered these a problem but would be interested to hear if some people avoid them for this reason. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were referring to cooking with wine which of course involves buying it at the store and using a much larger quantity (than of extract). I am assuming that the usual people will respond but most of you who typically respond to most posts don't actually cook or do the meal planning (that I am aware of) - what do the others say as well?

Caleb wanted me to include these: :starwars: :djparty: