Faith in Jesus Christ

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Faith in Jesus Christ

Post by Ian »

the topic here is faith.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

...in Jesus Christ.
Steve

Post by Steve »

A fantastic resource on the topic of developing faith and finding peace through the Atonement of Jesus Christ is Elder Richard G. Scott's final General Conference talk:

Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

Great words from Elder Scott, as always!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I appreciated this talk from Elder Dallin Oaks on faith, not just faith but faith in the Lord Jesus Christ - "Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ" - General Conference April 1994

ttps://www.lds.org/general-conference/1994/04/ ... t?lang=eng
When we try to develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ rather than merely cultivating faith as an abstract principle of power, we understand the meaning of the Savior’s words: “If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me” (Moro. 7:33).

Similarly, the Savior taught the Nephites that they must always pray to the Father in his name, adding: “And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you” (3 Ne. 18:20).

Here the Savior reminds us that faith, no matter how strong it is, cannot produce a result contrary to the will of him whose power it is. The exercise of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is always subject to the order of heaven, to the goodness and will and wisdom and timing of the Lord. That is why we cannot have true faith in the Lord without also having complete trust in the Lord’s will and in the Lord’s timing. When we have that kind of faith and trust in the Lord, we have true security in our lives. President Spencer W. Kimball said, “Security is not born of inexhaustible wealth but of unquenchable faith” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1982, pp. 72–73).
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have always loved this talk by Dennis E.Simmons - But If Not - General Conference April 2004 - https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... t?lang=eng

Faith is believing that although we do not understand all things, He does. Faith is knowing that although our power is limited, His is not. Faith in Jesus Christ consists of complete reliance on Him.
The Lord has given us agency, the right and the responsibility to decide. He tests us by allowing us to be challenged. He assures us that He will not suffer us to be tempted beyond our ability to withstand. But we must understand that great challenges make great men. We don’t seek tribulation, but if we respond in faith, the Lord strengthens us. The but if nots can become remarkable blessings.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

First of all I adore Elder Renlund. Second of all I love this talk - Repentance: A Joyful Choice - October 2016 General Conference

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng

I have a strong testimony on repentance and have seen the many miracles in choosing to repent of wrong behavior but repentance must start with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I also love Elder Renlund's notes on the Atonement that he got from President Packer's testimony at a leadership meeting associated with April 2015 General Conference.

Real repentance must involve faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, faith that He can change us, faith that He can forgive us, and faith that He will help us avoid more mistakes. This kind of faith makes His Atonement effective in our lives. When we “perceive afterwards” and “turn around” with the Savior’s help, we can feel hope in His promises and the joy of forgiveness. Without the Redeemer, the inherent hope and joy evaporate, and repentance becomes simply miserable behavior modification. But by exercising faith in Him, we become converted to His ability and willingness to forgive sin.

President Boyd K. Packer affirmed the hopeful promises of repentance in April 2015 at his last general conference. He described the power of the Savior’s Atonement to heal in what I consider the distillation of the wisdom gained in half a century of apostolic service. President Packer said: “The Atonement leaves no tracks, no traces. What it fixes is fixed. … It just heals, and what it heals stays healed.”9

He continued:

“The Atonement, which can reclaim each one of us, bears no scars. That means that no matter what we have done or where we have been or how something happened, if we truly repent, [the Savior] has promised that He would atone. And when He atoned, that settled that. …

“… The Atonement … can wash clean every stain no matter how difficult or how long or how many times repeated.”10
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

"The Shield of Faith" - President Boyd K. Packer - General Conference April 1995 - I'm grateful for talks like this one, that help me focus on the things that really matter.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... h?lang=eng
As it has been since the beginning, the adversary would divide us, break us up, and if he can, destroy us. But the Lord said, “Lift up your hearts and rejoice, and gird up your loins, and take upon you my whole armor, that ye may be able to withstand the evil day, … taking the shield of faith wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked” (D&C 27:15, 17; emphasis added).

The ministry of the prophets and apostles leads them ever and always to the home and the family. That shield of faith is not produced in a factory but at home in a cottage industry.

The ultimate purpose of all we teach is to unite parents and children in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that they are happy at home, sealed in an eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of exaltation in the presence of our Heavenly Father.

Lest parents and children be “tossed to and fro,” and misled by “cunning craftiness” of men who “lie in wait to deceive” (Eph. 4:14), our Father’s plan requires that, like the generation of life itself, the shield of faith is to be made and fitted in the family. No two can be exactly alike. Each must be handcrafted to individual specifications.

The plan designed by the Father contemplates that man and woman, husband and wife, working together, fit each child individually with a shield of faith made to buckle on so firmly that it can neither be pulled off nor penetrated by those fiery darts.

It takes the steady strength of a father to hammer out the metal of it and the tender hands of a mother to polish and fit it on. Sometimes one parent is left to do it alone. It is difficult, but it can be done.
This shield of faith is not manufactured on an assembly line, only handmade in a cottage industry. Therefore our leaders press members to understand that what is most worth doing must be done at home. Some still do not see that too many out-of-home activities, however well intended, leave too little time to make and fit on the shield of faith at home.

Although our thoughts are centered in this sacred and solemn assembly on the noble titles High Priest, President, Apostle, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, the heavens are not offended if we at once speak of father, mother, child, brother, sister, family: even dad, mom, grandma, grandpa, baby.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great talk! Thank you for sharing. I think most of us don't appreciate "that too many out-of-home activities, however well intended, leave too little time to make and fit on the shield of faith at home." There are so many things that capture our attention every which way, even great causes, and we lose sight of what we have right in front of us.

The end of his talk drives it home for me:
If you are reverent and prayerful and obedient, the day will come when there will be revealed to you why the God of heaven has commanded us to address him as Father, and the Lord of the Universe as Son. Then you will have discovered the Pearl of Great Price spoken of in the scriptures and willingly go and sell all that you have that you might obtain it.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

Post by Steve »

And speaking of faith:
When we consider thoughtfully, why would we listen to the faceless, cynical voices of those in the great and spacious buildings of our time and ignore the pleas of those who genuinely love us? These ever-present naysayers prefer to tear down rather than elevate and to ridicule rather than uplift. Their mocking words can burrow into our lives, often through split-second bursts of electronic distortions carefully and deliberately composed to destroy our faith. Is it wise to place our eternal well-being in the hands of strangers? Is it wise to claim enlightenment from those who have no light to give or who may have private agendas hidden from us? These anonymous individuals, if presented to us honestly, would never be given a moment of our time, but because they exploit social media, hidden from scrutiny, they receive undeserved credibility.

Our choice to heed those who mock sacred things will distance us from the saving and life-giving light of the Savior.

(Elder Vern P. Stanfill, Choose the Light, October 2015 General Conference)
We should be so very careful with where we spend our time, who we give our attention to, and what kinds of discussions we engage in while using social media. I've seen so many warnings of late that I actually got on Facebook after a long absence just to see things for myself. I was amazed and discouraged by the communications, declarations, and debates that filled the channels of my family and friends. Elder Stanfill's counsel is wise. Elder Oaks, who recently spoke to graduates at BYU-Hawaii, also counseled against joining in with the coarseness and divisiveness of these modern trends.
Another way to push back against the world is to stand clear from the current atmosphere of hate and to refrain from participating in the contentious communications that are so common today. Partly such contentious communications result from modern technology, which fosters conflicts by expanding the audience and the speed of dissemination. Careless charges, false representations, and ugly innuendos are instantly flashed around the world, widening and intensifying the distance between different parties and different positions. I am not referring to differences in policies, which need to be debated publicly, but to the current ugliness and personal meanness of the communications.

Don’t be part of such communications. As followers of Christ, we know that all of the inhabitants of this earth are children of God. Use that knowledge to push back against the worldly prejudices that preach hate or hostility toward other nations, ethnic groups, or even political parties.

(Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Push Back Against the World, February 25, 2017)
I believe our faith in Jesus Christ will grow as he obey Him and place greater weight on His words and the words of those who truly love us as He does. I believe our faith will recede if we dedicate too much time to "electronic distortions" by ever-present naysayers spewing anger and contention in high-traffic social media settings.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Reread this talk by Bishop Gerald Causee - Is It Still Wonderful to You? - General Conference April 2015 -
This talk could probably be posted on the gratitude thread too. I know when I'm taking the marvels of the gospel for granted, I actually stop noticing the many miracles around me.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... u?lang=eng
To marvel at the wonders of the gospel is a sign of faith. It is to recognize the hand of the Lord in our lives and in everything around us. Our amazement also produces spiritual strength. It gives us the energy to remain anchored in our faith and to engage ourselves in the work of salvation.

But let us beware. Our ability to marvel is fragile. Over the long term, such things as casual commandment keeping, apathy, or even weariness may set in and make us insensitive to even the most remarkable signs and miracles of the gospel.

The Book of Mormon describes a period, very similar to our own, that preceded the coming of the Messiah to the Americas. Suddenly the signs of His birth appeared in the heavens. The people were so stricken with astonishment that they humbled themselves, and nearly all were converted. However, only a short four years later, “the people began to forget those signs and wonders which they had heard, and began to be less and less astonished at a sign or a wonder from heaven, … and began to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen.”

My brothers and sisters, is the gospel still wonderful to you? Can you yet see, hear, feel, and marvel? Or have your spiritual sensors gone into standby mode? .
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have been pondering the strength that faith in Jesus Christ gives us. I have been tutoring a 66-year-old man from our ward to read. He works so hard to decode the Book of Mormon which is the book we are studying from. Both of us have great faith that he will learn to read. This is a new experience for me to mentor an adult in reading. I love this scripture in Hebrews
Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
Steve

Post by Steve »

Chapter 16 in Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Gordon B. Hinckley has several accounts of The Book of Mormon being used to make powerful changes in individual lives.
Let me tell you [another] story about the Book of Mormon. I heard a man who was a banker in California tell this story. He said his secretary smoked, constantly smoked. She was addicted to smoking. She could not set it aside. She said to him one day, “How can I stop smoking?”

He reached down in his desk and took out a copy of the Book of Mormon and handed it to her. He said, “Now, you read this.”

She said, “All right, I’ll read it.”

She came back a couple of days later and said, “I’ve read 200 pages, and I didn’t see the word smoking anywhere. I didn’t see the word tobacco anywhere. I saw nothing that referred to it.”

He said, “Keep reading.”

So she came back another couple of days later and said, “I’ve read 200 more pages—no mention of smoking, no mention of nicotine, no mention of anything associated with tobacco.”

He said, “Keep reading.”

She came back three or four days later. She said, “I’ve read the entire book. I didn’t see tobacco anywhere; I didn’t see smoking anywhere. But,” she said, “there has come into my heart as a result of reading that book some influence, some power, that has taken from me the desire to smoke, and it is wonderful.”
Lily and I discussed this story last Sunday. The faith and power derived from reading The Book of Mormon really can't be overemphasized. It is one of the great gifts God has given His children.
Steve

Post by Steve »

In a recent discussion with religion faculty here at BYU regarding the Jaredites, I was touched by this insight concerning faith:
9 And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?

10 And he answered: Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me.

11 And the Lord said unto him: Believest thou the words which I shall speak?

12 And he answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie.

(Ether 3:9-12)
The Lord asks the brother of Jared whether or not he'll believe the things he will receive—the things the Lord will speak that the brother of Jared doesn't know yet. What an interesting question to ask. How can we believe what we haven't even heard yet?

I think we sometimes rely too heavily on things we know and have seen in the past, and whether or not those things jive with the way we think or how we perceive the world. But the real question is: Do I have faith in Jesus Christ?

Do I trust Him? Do I have faith in the things He will reveal even if they're foreign to me? Does He have my full commitment, no matter what? Or do I just have faith in a few selected principles according to my own preference or perspective?
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

(Articles of Faith 1:9)
Do I believe all that He has revealed along the way? Or do I reject all of that now with recent revelation, or in anticipation of something yet to come (or that I think should come)? Is there something He has revealed in past days that I've gone and latched onto and won't let go of despite additional revelation? Am I reluctant to agree to believe all that He will yet reveal? Perhaps I'll just consider it when it comes rather than trusting in Him implicitly?

These are some questions I've asked myself about faith as I thought about the brother of Jared's experience with the Lord. I hope to strengthen my faith so that I can believe all that God has revealed while committing to things He currently reveals and will yet reveal. My faith really needs to be in the Giver and not the thing given. It needs to be faith in Jesus Christ and not faith in outcomes.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have noticed that in many situations in the scriptures those people that are about to be healed are asked by Christ if they believe in Him and that they will be healed - This story in the book of Mark is one of my favorites -
Mark 9-
14 ¶ And when he came to his disciples, he saw a great multitude about them, and the scribes questioning with them.

15 And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to him saluted him.

16 And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them?

17 And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;

18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.

19 He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

20 And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.

21 And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.

22 And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

26 And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.

27 But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

28 And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?

29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.