Baptism an "Initial Cleansing"

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Baptism an "Initial Cleansing"

Post by Ian »

elder bednar taught that members of the church "are" blessed by the initial cleansing provided by baptism. apparently, that initial cleansing still blesses us. also, that initial cleansing has not yet blessed our young children, and we are commanded to teach them "to understand the doctrine" of baptism before they are accountable.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's fine and I agree. What is the doctrine of baptism?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

elder bednar taught the doctrine of baptism plainly:
Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins “is the introductory ordinance of the gospel” of Jesus Christ and must be preceded by faith in the Savior and by sincere repentance. This ordinance “is a sign and a commandment which God has set for [His children] to enter into His kingdom.” Baptism is administered in the authority of the Aaronic Priesthood. In the process of coming unto the Savior and spiritual rebirth, baptism provides a necessary initial cleansing of our soul from sin.

The baptismal covenant includes three fundamental commitments: (1) to be willing to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, (2) to always remember Him, and (3) to keep His commandments. The promised blessing for honoring this covenant is “that [we] may always have his Spirit to be with [us].” Thus, baptism is the essential preparation to receive the authorized opportunity for the constant companionship of the third member of the Godhead.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I believe that the core doctrine of baptism is most clearly presented by the Savior during His visit to the Americas in 3 Nephi 11:
31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.

(3 Nephi 11:31-40)
I believe that this is the essence of what should be taught to our children. Trying to figure out precisely when a particular cleansing action occurs, the degree of that cleansing action, and other similar things has the potential to shift focus from what must be clearly understood about baptism. In my opinion, we should balance our desire for knowledge and understanding with our mortal constraints (in terms of time and energy, for instance) and focus on the things that matter most. This is my approach, and I'm not saying it's perfect, so we can certainly disagree on some of the details emphasized in this thread.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i thought elder bednar's talk was well-focused. i see nothing wrong with his teaching about initial and ongoing cleansing.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I agree.