Personal Revelation

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Personal Revelation

Post by Tuly »

I understand that personal revelation is what it says it is "personal". Here is an understanding on how we can discern whether a revelation has come from God. This is from the Doctrine and Covenants Teacher's Manual - Lesson 6 - " I Will Tell You in Your Mind and in Your Heart by the Holy Ghost"

ttps://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenan ... ghost?lang
Revelations from God will be in accordance with scripture and the counsel of the living prophets. They will be edifying. They will not lead us to do something that is contrary to the principles of righteousness.)
The First Presidency said: “When … inspiration conveys something out of harmony with the accepted revelations of the Church or contrary to the decisions of its constituted authorities, Latter-day Saints may know that it is not of God, no matter how plausible it may appear. … Anything at discord with that which comes from God through the head of the Church is not to be received as authoritative or reliable” (in James R. Clark, comp., Messages of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 vols. [1965–75], 4:285).
The language of the Spirit is an important language to study daily - Hence in effect all missionaries learn a new language. Again from the lesson manual -
Each of us has the privilege and responsibility to become fluent in the language of the Spirit. Encourage class members to make the effort necessary to receive and recognize the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. Testify that as we prepare ourselves and listen carefully, we will receive “revelation upon revelation” through the Holy Ghost (D&C 42:61) - "If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things—that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal."
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Personal Revelation

Post by Ian »

satan can provide personal revelation. joseph smith revealed that "there are many spirits which are false spirits, which have gone forth in the earth, deceiving the world." joseph smith also warned that "nothing is a greater injury to the children of men than to be under the influence of a false spirit when they think they have the Spirit of God."

elder oaks taught that we cannot rely upon personal revelation if we are disobedient to or out of harmony with priesthood revelation, which comes through the church and its appointed leaders. "Unfortunately, it is common for persons who are violating God’s commandments or disobedient to the counsel of their priesthood leaders to declare that God has revealed to them that they are excused from obeying some commandment or from following some counsel. Such persons may be receiving revelation or inspiration, but it is not from the source they suppose. The devil is the father of lies, and he is ever anxious to frustrate the work of God by his clever imitations."

personal revelation is personal. president packer counseled that "such promptings are personal and strictly private!" personal revelation cannot be used to manipulate others or to define church doctrine, but it is essential for individual growth.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ann

Re: Personal Revelation

Post by Ann »

I have just been watching the face to face worldwide youth event with President Eyring and Elder Holland and I love how they both answer an initial question about how we know when we are receiving personal revelation from the Holy Ghost versus our own personal thoughts and desires, as well as a couple of follow up questions (starting around minute 20). They describe how this inspiration comes often with "a sweet feeling of peace", when our minds are quiet. Also they teach that true inspiration from the Holy Ghost is "consistent with other revelation that the Lord has given" in line with what the scriptures and living prophets teach, and it also should be consistent with "loving the Savior and loving the Savior's prophets." I love how President Eyring speaks so humbly about how he has heard the voice of God when he truly asked for help after doing all he could and by submitting his will to the Lord's will.